U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2008, 11:22 AM
 
Location: West Mount Airy
160 posts, read 740,559 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

I absolutely love Philadelphia. There's diversity, history, culture, entertainment...I love the neighborhood I live in and my neighbors. I have had no problems with anyone. I recognize there are areas that are less desirable and maybe unsafe, but as with anywhere near a major city, a few blocks this way or a few blocks that way and you're in another area which may or many not be nice. Even those areas that people keep referring to as "ghettos" house people who are not criminals or lazy, but people who are working to make a living for their families and this is what they can afford. I continue to maintain that Philadelphia is a major city, as populated and busy as other cities, though smaller(LA,NYC,DC,Boston) in some cases. I don't know if anyone has recently been downtown on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but it's busy! And there are art fairs and fleemarkets and farmer's markets and activities all the time...unfortunately, there is always bad mixed with good. Are we really saying that the other major cities don't have some of the same problems we do? For those people who are struggling with finances and feel Philly is to blame, I do sympathize, but I don't believe it's the city's fault. There's so much opportunity but yes, you do need a degree, or a trade, a job, and to be continually working to become successful...as with any city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Reputation: 865
"no significant artist raps, sings, talks about Philadelphia"

Well you're clearly not too 'up' on rap, because you'd know about The Roots.

If you want to think NYC is so great, fine, so be it. My entire mom's side of the family is from Brooklyn, and guess what? No one lives in NY anymore. My mom has lived in the Philly area for over 20 years, and much prefers it to New York. By the way, everyone absolutely detests the NY accent. It's horrifyingly obnoxious. Comparing the slight Philly accent to the NY accent is laughable.

And for everyone talking about how we're so into our sports teams (which includes more than just the Eagles...), what do you expect us to do? Sports are a major part of American culture. We're the greatest fans in the world, so I dont see the problem.

Philly rules. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Default Regarding Music....

The orchestral "Sound of Philadelphia" pretty much defined R&B music in the 70's.

Even though Will Smith once professed love for Miami (and actually said he supported the Lakers at his courtside Staples Center seat during this year's NBA Championship), everytime you turn on a rerun of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" you'll see him rapping in his theme song about West Philadelphia. For a little more "hardcore" rapping, besides the aforementioned Roots, Beanie Sigel and Freeway are also well-known in the genre.

G. Love (and Special Sauce) once did an album which was basically an ode to Philadelphia. Granted, he hasn't had a top 40 hit to my knowledge but he's well known to many music fans who dig a bit beneath the pop surface. Ween are from the Phillly area.

Neil Young once did a song called "Philadelphia" for the namesake movie soundtrack.

There's really too much to draw from here. Philly more than holds its own in the music world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The orchestral "Sound of Philadelphia" pretty much defined R&B music in the 70's.
Sound of Philadelphia is also an awesome, awesome song, and awesome video by perhaps (IMO) Philly's best underground rapper--Reef the Lost Cauze:
YouTube - The Sound of Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
 
718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
Reputation: 363
Yeah I know reef hes got talent. Jedi Mind tricks does too. However, the whole state property crew is awful (Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Young Gunz, etc). Not a fan of the roots, but thats just me. I was just trying to make the point that nobody big reps Philadelphia. If you want to throw in Will Smith tone do so. But millions of kids in America know the exact project complex Jay-Z and Nas are from blah blah I wont bore you. Maybe the next billboard chart topper will rep Philadelphia. I enjoy Philly and would like to see some excitement. So who knows what the future holds?

Anyway, glad to see someone on here has good taste in music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Sound of Philadelphia is also an awesome, awesome song, and awesome video by perhaps (IMO) Philly's best underground rapper--Reef the Lost Cauze:
YouTube - The Sound of Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Yeah I know reef hes got talent. Jedi Mind tricks does too. However, the whole state property crew is awful (Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Young Gunz, etc). Not a fan of the roots, but thats just me. I was just trying to make the point that nobody big reps Philadelphia. If you want to throw in Will Smith tone do so. But millions of kids in America know the exact project complex Jay-Z and Nas are from blah blah I wont bore you. Maybe the next billboard chart topper will rep Philadelphia. I enjoy Philly and would like to see some excitement. So who knows what the future holds?

Anyway, glad to see someone on here has good taste in music.
I'm a biiiiig JMT fan too, but groups/artists like JMT and Reef wouldn't appeal to the mainstream rap fans the same way Hova and Nas would. The Roots have slightly more success/appeal, but that definitely has something to do with their uniqueness.

I hope the next chart topper doesnt rep Philly, because they'd be a sellout. Keep it underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Yeah I know reef hes got talent. Jedi Mind tricks does too. However, the whole state property crew is awful (Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Young Gunz, etc). Not a fan of the roots, but thats just me. I was just trying to make the point that nobody big reps Philadelphia. If you want to throw in Will Smith tone do so. But millions of kids in America know the exact project complex Jay-Z and Nas are from blah blah I wont bore you. Maybe the next billboard chart topper will rep Philadelphia. I enjoy Philly and would like to see some excitement. So who knows what the future holds?

Anyway, glad to see someone on here has good taste in music.
i agree philly rap is average...i do like jedi mind tricks though. roots are decent...

but to me, all non nyc rap (with the exception of a few la rappers) suck... detroit maybe, houston maybe, atl maybe...

i'm talkin real rap/hip hop...not bullsh*t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM
 
718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
Reputation: 363
Thats a good point, BUT remember why the 90s were so good? Because the mainstream music we were served was pretty gully and underground style compared to now. Nobody was singing about licking lollypops. Even the girls/cars type rhymes had STYLE and creativity back then.

Ive talked to younger kids who worship Lil Wayne and G Unit and they think artists like Wu Tang are corny. Never thought id reach the day when someone would say that. Lil wayne is awful. Ill never forget listening to hot 97 on the way to work earlier this summer and they had a recording of him was drunk and high, attempting to play an electric guitar at a show. It was beyond terrible.

Underground is good if there is an abundance of talent but fact is we are in a hip hop drought and could use some new MCs with real talent to surface and push aside the Lil Waynes and Young Jeezys of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I'm a biiiiig JMT fan too, but groups/artists like JMT and Reef wouldn't appeal to the mainstream rap fans the same way Hova and Nas would. The Roots have slightly more success/appeal, but that definitely has something to do with their uniqueness.

I hope the next chart topper doesnt rep Philly, because they'd be a sellout. Keep it underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Reputation: 648
C'mon, NYC can rep all that played out, over-produced garbage from sun up to sun down. If you want what's real you'll find it in PHL. Diplo . . . RJD2 . . . Jill Scott, not household names but for people who know music they're important, top of the game people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Thats a good point, BUT remember why the 90s were so good? Because the mainstream music we were served was pretty gully and underground style compared to now. Nobody was singing about licking lollypops. Even the girls/cars type rhymes had STYLE and creativity back then.

Ive talked to younger kids who worship Lil Wayne and G Unit and they think artists like Wu Tang are corny. Never thought id reach the day when someone would say that. Lil wayne is awful. Ill never forget listening to hot 97 on the way to work earlier this summer and they had a recording of him was drunk and high, attempting to play an electric guitar at a show. It was beyond terrible.

Underground is good if there is an abundance of talent but fact is we are in a hip hop drought and could use some new MCs with real talent to surface and push aside the Lil Waynes and Young Jeezys of this world.
I dont know what age you meant with younger, but I see it here at Temple. There are a decent amount of us who listen to true hip hop, but man, you should've seen what it was like when Weezy came to Temple. Absolutely insane. And for the record, I have kitchen appliances with more talent than Weezy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top