U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:29 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
And Kobe Bryant.
Wynnewood represent Kobe grew up like 5 houses down from me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,466,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
And Kobe Bryant.
As a Sixers fan, I see that as a dubious distinction.

But yeah, he's one of many talented athletes to come out of Philly.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 AM

160 posts, read 740,531 times
I continue to maintain that Philadelphia is a major city, as populated and busy as other cities, though smaller(LA,NYC,DC,Boston) in some cases.

ALthough I share your enthusiasm and love for Philly, since WHEN did Philly become smaller than Washington DC or Boston? NEVER! Only NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston and maybe Phoenix is bigger than Philly.[/quote]

I never said Philadelphia was smaller than DC or Boston. I said it was smaller than some. I was not referring to DC or Boston, but LA and NYC as those were also mentioned.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM

23,576 posts, read 10,775,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As a Sixers fan, I see that as a dubious distinction.

But yeah, he's one of many talented athletes to come out of Philly.
Ha! Good point. Kobe is the enemy. I used to watch his father Joe Bryant play when he was at La Salle. Great player and saw some great games at the Palestra, back in the days when you could still throw toilet paper after the first basket was scored.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,556,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Thats a good point, BUT remember why the 90s were so good? Because the mainstream music we were served was pretty gully and underground style compared to now. Nobody was singing about licking lollypops. Even the girls/cars type rhymes had STYLE and creativity back then.

Ive talked to younger kids who worship Lil Wayne and G Unit and they think artists like Wu Tang are corny. Never thought id reach the day when someone would say that. Lil wayne is awful. Ill never forget listening to hot 97 on the way to work earlier this summer and they had a recording of him was drunk and high, attempting to play an electric guitar at a show. It was beyond terrible.

Underground is good if there is an abundance of talent but fact is we are in a hip hop drought and could use some new MCs with real talent to surface and push aside the Lil Waynes and Young Jeezys of this world.
i know i'm old as hell, but are you serious???

Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM

718 posts, read 2,147,666 times
Unfortunately I am. I wouldnt waste time to make up stories.

And people in their 20s love wayne too, but they probably listened to the old joints back in the day. Todays kids seem to have zero appreciation for the classics because they werent about rims girls and jewelry. I dont know what is wrong with music taste in 2008 but it is bad. I guess everyone took for granted how good things were back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i know i'm old as hell, but are you serious???

Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah man. My generation and the current one is helping to destroy rap.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:29 PM

11 posts, read 37,842 times
Smile I miss it!

To whoever wrote "Does anybody out there actually love Philadelpia"...Yes, I do! I will say that I don't live there anymore. I moved to Austin, TX almost ten years ago and boy oh boy, does it make me miss Philly! I went back in November of last year for my sister's funeral. Although it was a sad, sad time for me, I looked around and realized how much I missed it. The art there is beautiful...the landscape...the colors. Here in TX, it's warm about 80% of the year and you only see green. How depressing. In November up there, there were all kinds of colors...absolutely gorgeous! I saw the LOVE statue downtown that I'd passed so many times on my way to work when I lived up there. I realized how much I'd taken advantage of it. Down here, you are expected to be friendly...regardless of how you feel. Up there, people can actually express themselves...wow! That was refreshing to be honest. I went on the train...the el, right? How cool! I saw different neighborhoods and different types of people in the matter of less than an hour! I believe the problem with Philadelphia is that people are stuck on the reputation Philadelphia already has. Everyone says it's terrible and so it must be, right? That's where the "woe is me" comes from. I say you're wrong! Philadelphia is gorgeous and you guys actually have seasons! People are people and not a standard. I say you take your (and my) city back. It's absolutely beautiful and If I could come back at the moment, I would. Just remember...The change...starts with you. God bless!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyluv5318 View Post
To whoever wrote "Does anybody out there actually love Philadelpia"...Yes, I do! I will say that I don't live there anymore. I moved to Austin, TX almost ten years ago and boy oh boy, does it make me miss Philly! I went back in November of last year for my sister's funeral. Although it was a sad, sad time for me, I looked around and realized how much I missed it. The art there is beautiful...the landscape...the colors. Here in TX, it's warm about 80% of the year and you only see green. How depressing. In November up there, there were all kinds of colors...absolutely gorgeous! I saw the LOVE statue downtown that I'd passed so many times on my way to work when I lived up there. I realized how much I'd taken advantage of it. Down here, you are expected to be friendly...regardless of how you feel. Up there, people can actually express themselves...wow! That was refreshing to be honest. I went on the train...the el, right? How cool! I saw different neighborhoods and different types of people in the matter of less than an hour! I believe the problem with Philadelphia is that people are stuck on the reputation Philadelphia already has. Everyone says it's terrible and so it must be, right? That's where the "woe is me" comes from. I say you're wrong! Philadelphia is gorgeous and you guys actually have seasons! People are people and not a standard. I say you take your (and my) city back. It's absolutely beautiful and If I could come back at the moment, I would. Just remember...The change...starts with you. God bless!
How do you like it in ATX? I've been dying to visit for a while.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM

11 posts, read 37,842 times
Default Atx

It's just the way I decribed it...warm and friendly. I have to admit, the music is awesome too! All kinds of music all on the same street and a lot of familiar names too. What specifically did you want to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or