U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:49 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times

Advertisements

we moved to cinnaminson. Just outside Morrestown... Trust me... its the best move anyone could make.. The happiness it buys you and your family is priceless. No worries about violence, property damage, loud noises all night, helicopters overhead almost every weekend. Its a whole nother world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Where did you move to in South Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
Default I love Philadelphia

I have to tell you that as a New Yorker, I love everything about quirky, screwy, old and cranky Philly. It is one of my favorite cities in the world. If you are a foodie, Reading Terminal Market on Arch Street is on a par with the Marche d'Aligre in Paris. Then let's talk about the museums including the outlying area. Barnes, Rodin, PMA, Mutter, PMGA etc.

The vast tentacles of Fairmount Park are amazing. I especially love Wissahickon, which is part of Fairmount Park. Poe wrote a poem about it. This is one of the world's most pristine and wonderful urban parks. The blanket forest of 100+ year old trees features growing and flourishing Chestnut Trees which are all but extinct in the US. It is amazing.

Philly was a major music capital in the last century. Listen to the staggering wealth of music from Gamble and Huff's Philadelphia International, TSOP, North Bay and Gamble labels. Also listen to the independent music produced by such musical visionairies as Vincent Montana, Bobby Eli, Van McCoy and Bobby Martin. These sounds defined an era and unlike many "oldies" this music holds up as strong and vibrant as ever. REAL MUSIC performed by AMAZINGLY TALENTED MUSICIANS.

How many famous global cities do you know that have a distinctive discerable famous musical "sound"? Perhaps Manchester England, Detroit USA Memphis USA and last but not surely least, Philly.

I love Philadelphia. I have yet to find a global counterpart, and you know what? That's a good thing.

J

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have to tell you that as a New Yorker, I love everything about quirky, screwy, old and cranky Philly. It is one of my favorite cities in the world. If you are a foodie, Reading Terminal Market on Arch Street is on a par with the Marche d'Aligre in Paris. Then let's talk about the museums including the outlying area. Barnes, Rodin, PMA, Mutter, PMGA etc.

The vast tentacles of Fairmount Park are amazing. I especially love Wissahickon, which is part of Fairmount Park. Poe wrote a poem about it. This is one of the world's most pristine and wonderful urban parks. The blanket forest of 100+ year old trees features growing and flourishing Chestnut Trees which are all but extinct in the US. It is amazing.

Philly was a major music capital in the last century. Listen to the staggering wealth of music from Gamble and Huff's Philadelphia International, TSOP, North Bay and Gamble labels. Also listen to the independent music produced by such musical visionairies as Vincent Montana, Bobby Eli, Van McCoy and Bobby Martin. These sounds defined an era and unlike many "oldies" this music holds up as strong and vibrant as ever. REAL MUSIC performed by AMAZINGLY TALENTED MUSICIANS.

How many famous global cities do you know that have a distinctive discerable famous musical "sound"? Perhaps Manchester England, Detroit USA Memphis USA and last but not surely least, Philly.

I love Philadelphia. I have yet to find a global counterpart, and you know what? That's a good thing.

J
hell yeah! how about the great Jaco!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOpdYRebWc

Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 PM

40 posts, read 115,436 times
I can't be bothered to read all 17 pages of this but I love verything about Philadelphia. Nightly I make love to every crack in the sidewalk.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM

81 posts, read 208,290 times
I love philly and miss it but yeah I refused to move downtown for that - It gets rough and alot of people who say its not that bad havent seen stuff go down. It gets bad but I hope someday the residents can revolt against its officials. I would live in NY in a heartbeat over philly. I love the character but I value my life alot more

Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 13,459 times
Every city is going through struggles with government and it's budget. It's not just Philly. I love Philly. I live in the suburbs, went to college and lived in center city. There are sooo many wonderfull things about Philly. How many other cities have so many firsts, so much culture, beautiful architecture, and not mention how resilient and how much heart locals have. Maybe, there are some neighborhoods that are better than others and do need more help with crime. Maybe, more police is not the key to reforming crime in Philly. People that do not see all of the good in Philly should travel a little more and then maybe they will see how great Philly really is. I have been thinking about moving to another state for a long time now. When I think about home, I think of Philly. I remember all of the awesome places, times and people in Philly. When I remember Philly it makes me not want to move.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 13,459 times
December in Philly, Rittenhouse Square, The First Church, PMA, Logan Circle, Love Park, skating through Love park, Reading terminal market, old buildings, new eco buildings, South Street, the dirty smell of philly after it rains, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia Zoo, walking on the same cobblestone pavers that Ben Franklin and other people that have transformed our country have walked, Mcgillians, north 3rd, the trocadero, the mix of the old and new, 2nd street, market street, University city, University of penn, manayunk, Boathouse row, being able to go the top of city hall and look out from under william penn and see camden (maybe that will be a reminder of how good philly really is!)...not to mention brash and forward we are! ...the list can go on and on!!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM

386 posts, read 891,509 times
Philly is the best! I've lived in Center City, South Philly, and the Art Museum area. It's all good and there's no place like it. Relocated to Sarasota, Florida but I'll always be a Philly-girl! Great food, music, art, nightlife, neighborhoods, sports, shopping. Wonderful proximity to the shore, NYC, etc.
It's the best!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 AM

40 posts, read 115,436 times
Greatest city in the world!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,275,936 times
Best city in the US, next best thing to London or Paris in this country I should like to think.

It's unique, it has character, it has serious problems and is poorly run but the potential Philadelphia has, the city it could become would really blow everything else in the United States away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or