U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Used to love it.. Then we fell out of love and moved out... Wished it stayed as good as it was 20 years ago..
That sounds so strange to me, since to me Philly was SO much worse in 1991 than it is today!

But maybe that's because I'm partial to Center City and it surroundings, which have made huge strides since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
That sounds so strange to me, since to me Philly was SO much worse in 1991 than it is today!

But maybe that's because I'm partial to Center City and it surroundings, which have made huge strides since then.
must be from the northeast or southwest, two areas that have seen at least some decline since then (the latter has seen a whole lot of it). most other areas are probably the same or better...esp in and around center city). it's worth noting DC and Chicago have no shortage of bad government (don't know much about boston's politicians).

Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post

Yes you are correct. I was strictly referring to my area. The Northeast.... CC has def gotten better since then

Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 7,018 times
I love how someone took the time to dig this thread up from August to write that they don't like Philly. Anyway, I have a love/hate relationship with Philly. It really is a great city. People who live there just like to ***** a lot.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM

3,108 posts, read 2,882,694 times
Default Philly is the best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's quite a pill to swallow...did something happen to NYC, San Francisco, DC, Boston or Chicago? (I'd list others but let's start with those five).

Those five cities are all much more expensive to live in, to enjoy city life, and to raise a family in. There are hundreds more reasons why Philly is better than those cities. Want to hear some? 1) Philadelphia has repeatedly been named the friendliest city in the US. Having moved here from Maryland, I have found that to be true. 2) There are two major gambling centers in the US, Las Vegas and Atlantic City. No other city than Philly has such a close proximity to a gambling center. 3) If you want to go to an ocean beach it will take you 3 1/2 hours from DC, and a loooong journey from Chicago, but less than an hour from Philly. And, you can go by train or bus if you don't feel like driving!! 4) There is just as much culture and things to do in Philly as there are in DC, Boston, Chicago, or SF, and if you ever want more just take a train or bus to NYC. As a matter of fact, there is probably more culture and things to do in this area Philly/NYC than any other metro area in the world. And in Philly the cost of living is reasonable, very reasonable compared to NYC!!

There is one downfall of Philly and that is crime. No, it is not the hellhole that Baltimore is concerning crime, but the police need to crackdown more to make Philly's streets safer.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Keeping things in context: this thread was started over 4 years ago - before the Phillies won the world series. People were much more frustrated then!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,114 times
I have lived in over 23 houses in 7 states and gone to 16 different schools. After living in all of these places and visiting many more, including 4 continents, I absolutely love Philadelphia. There are small things that could be improved, but overall I think it is probably the best city in the world. The people are real, the architecture is amazing, neighborhoods are authentic, the transportation (which will be much better once those new smartcards are in place!) is already truly comprehensive, including the LOCAL Phillycarshare, the landscape (especiallly fairmount park) is beautiful, there is always something to do (check out uwishunu.com if you can't find something to do!), and the list goes on and on... Crime is a problem, but that is what happens when a city becomes depressed. The upside!! is that Philly has a growing population, and the culture, nightlife, shopping, greenspaces, transportation etc... are getting better everyday! Neighborhoods like Northern Liberties, CC, and Manayunk are becoming/have become revived, young, exciting, urban spaces and more will come!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 AM

76 posts, read 120,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmabi6q View Post
I have lived in over 23 houses in 7 states and gone to 16 different schools. After living in all of these places and visiting many more, including 4 continents, I absolutely love Philadelphia. There are small things that could be improved, but overall I think it is probably the best city in the world. The people are real, the architecture is amazing, neighborhoods are authentic, the transportation (which will be much better once those new smartcards are in place!) is already truly comprehensive, including the LOCAL Phillycarshare, the landscape (especiallly fairmount park) is beautiful, there is always something to do (check out uwishunu.com if you can't find something to do!), and the list goes on and on... Crime is a problem, but that is what happens when a city becomes depressed. The upside!! is that Philly has a growing population, and the culture, nightlife, shopping, greenspaces, transportation etc... are getting better everyday! Neighborhoods like Northern Liberties, CC, and Manayunk are becoming/have become revived, young, exciting, urban spaces and more will come!
GREAT post! I can't wait to call Philly home!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM

374 posts, read 563,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinegm View Post
I love how someone took the time to dig this thread up from August to write that they don't like Philly. Anyway, I have a love/hate relationship with Philly. It really is a great city. People who live there just like to ***** a lot.
Right - Observe this is this User Name's ONLY Post. What does that say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or