Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

now we have milton street running for mayor and the sad other cast of characters in the mayors race--dang I cant vote this time

well the Philly Young Republicans are meeting on thursday and there might be a candidate for us after all, not just for Republicans but for moderates adn even progressive who truly believe in change and growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 PM

48 posts, read 192,306 times
Default Register as a democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
now we have milton street running for mayor and the sad other cast of characters in the mayors race--dang I cant vote this time

well the Philly Young Republicans are meeting on thursday and there might be a candidate for us after all, not just for Republicans but for moderates adn even progressive who truly believe in change and growth.
I was born and raised in Philly and I am a Republican. I registerd as a Dem so my vote in the primary would count. There will never be a Republican mayor as long as a semi/half decent/not too much of a criminal is running for the dems. This is due to the unions in Philly. They are massive and powerful! My father was a union president for years... I know their value and they run the city. That is how John Street was elected. It was the white vote in NE Philly that clinched the deal for Mr Street. Primarily the electricians union for that vote.

Anyhow, I LOVE CC Philly. I think anywhere else is dangerous in too many areas. CC even has it's problems. I lived in Washington Square West and was pushed inside of my brownstone and held up. I was also knocked unconscious on Walnut street at 6 something in the morning on my way to work at the hospital. I still love the city. When Eddie Rendell was Mayor we didn't have as much crime. We have that dirtball John Street to thank...now Milton is running...it's just toooo much!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 AM

i know bluemaddy, i live in WSW and am a registered Republican Conservative.

Have you read the book about Philly by Nancy French? She talks about the same things, she used to write for the City Paper, awesome book, can find it at Borders.

just google Nancy French

Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM

BlueMaddy,

the book is called "Red State of Mind" by Nancy French

Old 02-23-2007, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 23,136 times
Default being a republican in Philly

It can certainly be challenging being conservative in this city. Everyone automatically thinks that you are a lib/dem. and will speak quite candidly with the assumption that you are in complete agreement. From my experience they are usually opposed to differing opinions. Regretfully I believe that Milton is a shoo-in. The dirtier the politician the more votes they can be guaranteed. Milton ought to be praying that the FBI is bugging his offices. That way a mayoral victory is in the bag.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM

tile maker,

I do find that too here and very funny. they call themselves liberal and open minded but when challenged with an opposing view they are hostile and the most closed minded of people, I feel pity for them, that they are not civilized enough to have a conversation with someone of a different viewpoint--thats also probably why they are comfortable in a so called democratic city being very segregated racially and economically as well.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
tile maker,

I do find that too here and very funny. they call themselves liberal and open minded but when challenged with an opposing view they are hostile and the most closed minded of people, I feel pity for them, that they are not civilized enough to have a conversation with someone of a different viewpoint--thats also probably why they are comfortable in a so called democratic city being very segregated racially and economically as well.
You both have a good point... although the same could be said in traditionally conservative cities and towns when progressive voices are not respected or encouraged.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 AM

tone,

that is true but the conservatives dont beat their chest saying that they are the most openminded people on the earth, that they are Liberal which is suppose to mean tolerant and free thinking.

conservatives are preserving the old order, the traditions of family, law and order, convention, family, church, and country--they arent saying they are open to listening to all voices, while the liberals say they are.

that is the difference.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
My, How well Duderino described Philadelphia. I didn't know there was anything besides Cheesesteaks, Eagles and WaWa. Oh yes you forgot about going "down the shore" I have lived in many parts of PA and I believe there is good and bad to different parts of the state. Stingray I honestly think on a fixed income you would be better off in a smaller town, Where the cost of living is much lower. I was also appalled at the response of Philadelphia policemen. I grew up in the suburbe of Phila

Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 AM

heck yeah more things.

great gardens,
museums
constitution center, liberty bell and independce hall
the fairmount park
shopping in CC
great restaurants
franklin institute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia