U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,349,035 times
Reputation: 518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBAL LIVE View Post
Does anybody care or love New York
I love NYC. I moved there from Philadelphia (lived there almost all my life). NYC has so many great neighborhoods. Although, it still has some bad ones that I won't venture in ofcourse, but they are so minimal to the city experience. But most of Philadelphia neigborhoods are depressing and very bad. Except for places like Center City, parts of South Philly and maybe Manayunk/Roxborugh, The rest of Philadelphia really bores me.

What I love about NYC is that there is so much diversity in people and places that stay open 24 hours, plus all the great food and shopping, cheap and expensive.

You have to compare Philly to less liveable cities, like Detroit or Baltimore for example. Then Philadelphias sould be happy and proud that their city is better than those awful places. But please stop comparing it to NYC. I like Philly, but I was never able to love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
 
46 posts, read 102,151 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I love NYC. I moved there from Philadelphia (lived there almost all my life). NYC has so many great neighborhoods. Although, it still has some bad ones that I won't venture in ofcourse, but they are so minimal to the city experience. But most of Philadelphia neigborhoods are depressing and very bad. Except for places like Center City, parts of South Philly and maybe Manayunk/Roxborugh, The rest of Philadelphia really bores me.

What I love about NYC is that there is so much diversity in people and places that stay open 24 hours, plus all the great food and shopping, cheap and expensive.

You have to compare Philly to less liveable cities, like Detroit or Baltimore for example. Then Philadelphias sould be happy and proud that their city is better than those awful places. But please stop comparing it to NYC. I like Philly, but I was never able to love it.
I don't think its even fair to compare. If anything some examples sould be taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
 
46 posts, read 102,151 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Philadelphia is its own worst enemy. When a city drops everything to watch a bunch of out of towners dressed in green (the Eagles), it just goes to show you that some people will never get their priorities straight.
yea, They need to stop that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBAL LIVE View Post
yea, They need to stop that
Ummm... don't Giants/Jets fans do the same thing? One could also say that those teams are always "out of town" since they play their "home" games in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM
 
718 posts, read 2,148,021 times
Reputation: 363
Ha ha typical response. You bring up location... I did not make this a matter of whether the eagles were playing in Philadelphia or Dallas. If they were playing in Iraq the fans would still drop everything for MNF starting Sunday night at 8pm.

Giants and Jets fans do not do the same. Neither do Mets or Yankees or Knicks or Islanders fans. Neither do most teams across the country (exception: Red Sox). Its not that these people are not passionate about their teams, because they definitely are. Its just that there IS MORE TO LIFE THAN WATCHING OTHER GUYS PLAY A GAME.

I heard there was a 3 or so hour pre game tv coverage of the Eagles and the news was skipped. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Yes it is a good rivalry game, I will give you that. But it is still week 2 of 17... There are bigger problems in Philadelphia, yet people are too busy doing E-A-G-L-E-S chants and putting all their hopes in guys like DeSean Jackson who have been in Philadelphia for two months...for what? To watch a showoff make a bonehead play and your team lose?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ummm... don't Giants/Jets fans do the same thing? One could also say that those teams are always "out of town" since they play their "home" games in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Reputation: 648
People with an agenda never concern themselves with facts. The facts are that all of these cities are more dangerous than Philadelphia . . .

St. Louis, MO
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Compton, CA
Camden, NJ
Birmingham, AL
Cleveland, OH
Oakland, CA
Youngstown, OH
Gary, IN
Richmond, CA
Baltimore, MD
Memphis, TN
Trenton, NJ
Richmond, VA
Kansas City, MO
Atlanta, GA
Cincinnati, OH
Washington, DC
North Charleston, SC
Reading, PA
Newark, NJ
Little Rock, AR
San Bernardino, CA
Orlando, FL

I LOVE Philly. Philadelphia will be a much better place when all the Negadelphians who keep talking about how much they hate Philly actually put their money where their mouths are and get the eff out! I'll help you with the door if you can't find it.

The people that hate Philly fall into two categories about 90% of the time. White ethnics who have no idea how much their property is worth and think they're "stuck" in their neighborhood as it gets "taken over by them". I was talking to this old neighbor of mine, a white guy in his 70s, who is bitter and angry and hates his life because, in his own words, he was in and out of manufacturing jobs his whole life, never went back to school and never got a pension. He was complaining that he can't get out of here because his house, at most, is worth $30k. After his tirade I laughed out loud at him. I told him to put a 1 in front of the 30 and that would be a good price. He said I was crazy so I offered to buy his place for $50k.

The others are the people who grew up in the city but moved to the suburbs and are angry because their old neigborhoods are not how they remember them. And they wonder why they went downhill when all of their old friends and neighbors moved out of the neighborhood in a 10 year period.

What's going on in Northeast Philly now is predictable. An aging housing stock that the lower-middle class owners, if they haven't moved to Burlington County or to Lower Bucks, haven't updated or modernized as they should have. It's also a part of the city that's disconnected from Center City and doesn't have the best transit - yet there is a lot of opposition to the Roosevelt Blvd subway because they're scared it will bring crime (which is code for black people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
 
203 posts, read 502,683 times
Reputation: 52
Default Long Thread

I live in Philly; in the city, with my wife and kids.

I do love Philly. Great American city.

In the US, I would put SF and NYC ahead of it. Maybe Chicago; but that's close. However, I don't think I have the $$$ for those places.

It is a great place getting better. Blue collar Boston but thankfully with no Bostonians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 02:32 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
I live in Philly; in the city, with my wife and kids.

I do love Philly. Great American city.

In the US, I would put SF and NYC ahead of it. Maybe Chicago; but that's close. However, I don't think I have the $$$ for those places.

It is a great place getting better. Blue collar Boston but thankfully with no Bostonians
Thank you.

Grew up in and around NYC, great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.
Chicago is awesome. Love it. Not sure if the winters are worth it, though.
SF, amazing, but everybody knows it and that's why I could never afford it.
DC, nice looking town but it has no soul. And for people who care it's far more dangerous than Philly.
Boston is also a great place to visit but full of snobs, too cold, too expensive, and the bars close too early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 AM
 
59 posts, read 235,497 times
Reputation: 30
You fools are a waste of life energy. Philadelphia is one of the best cities in the United States. I've been to so many different cities but Philadelphia will always be my favorite. I've been living in New York City for the past 2 and a half years and I still don't think its the same as Philly. The only part of New York City thats really as "Great" as some of you claim is Manhattan. Other than that, Queens is boring, The Bronx has nothing special save for the Zoo, Staten Island is a dump. Brooklyn is the only other borough worth mentioning, but I wouldn't say that its all that special. Contrary to popular belief NYC DOES NOT stay open 24/7 as many shops even in Manhattan close around 8 or 9. The cost of living is ridiculous. Sure there are plenty of things to do in New York, but its the same type of **** you can do in Philly. Bars, Clubs, restaurants, etc. etc. The fact that NYC is BIG doesn't make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
You fools are a waste of life energy. Philadelphia is one of the best cities in the United States. I've been to so many different cities but Philadelphia will always be my favorite. I've been living in New York City for the past 2 and a half years and I still don't think its the same as Philly. The only part of New York City thats really as "Great" as some of you claim is Manhattan. Other than that, Queens is boring, The Bronx has nothing special save for the Zoo, Staten Island is a dump. Brooklyn is the only other borough worth mentioning, but I wouldn't say that its all that special. Contrary to popular belief NYC DOES NOT stay open 24/7 as many shops even in Manhattan close around 8 or 9. The cost of living is ridiculous. Sure there are plenty of things to do in New York, but its the same type of **** you can do in Philly. Bars, Clubs, restaurants, etc. etc. The fact that NYC is BIG doesn't make it better.
shut the **** up with your ****. i live in philly and will for a while but accept the fact hat its not NYC! jesus....i've my whole life on the nj tpke.
lived in manhattan 6yrs, Philly 4yrs, jersey 10 yrs....yonkers 3 yrs....CT 10 yrs

Philly aint NYC. never will be...


not saying i don't love phillty because i do. but you fools are just fools talkin ****...that's it. ypu defending your ground.
i'll always step up[ for philly, my wif'es from here &^ i've spend all my 20's hittin the black banana & revival before the palmer was ****..


so i'm tired of you ****s.....pride is fine...but ****ing grow up and be real


thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top