Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,288 times

Advertisements

I love this website and have found it helpful for gaining insight about which places I would like to move to and hopefully will be moving out of the Philadelphia area soon. I'm not going to sit here and say that Philadelphia sucks or that the entire city is bad, because every place has its positive and negatives, but I have to say that the negatives are definitely starting to outweigh anything worth sticking around for.

I have lived near Philadelphia my entire life in the Bucks county area and I have worked in Center City for several years. There is a decent nightlife and plenty of places to eat because we do love our cheesesteaks and our wawas and we will wait in line like cattle at the dunkin donuts every morning. We are loyal to our sports teams even if they never win and tourists have lots to see and do if they visit, but stick around for a while and you will see the other side of Philadelphia.

We haven't earned the nickname Killadelphia and Filthadelphia for nothing. Right after I watch the streetcleaners come by I will see people toss their trash on the sidewalk as if the fact that there is a streetcleaner absolves them from wrong doing. The trains are disgusting, the ventilation is terrible, and I cannot count how many times I've had to sit next to trash or worse on some unidentifiable stain or dried spit on the window. Septa is horrible and the amount of money you pay for public transportation here is outrageous. They just increased the rate once again, yet my train is late almost every day and I cannot even consider parking here daily because I could put money down on a house for the amount charged to park.

Our crime rate has gone up instead of down, despite many efforts by different organizations to stop the violence. We even had Will Smith and some other hollywood people return to the city to try to help with an anti violence campaign and money is put out left and right to promote the peace, but yet we are still up to almost a murder a day and it's only getting worse. There are neighborhood town watches and people who do care about the city that try so very hard to make it a better place, but there is so much corruption within our city government and its elected officials and the police that it is like running in place and going nowhere. I do not wish to get gunned down so I'll be leaving out things I know, but let's just say that those of us who are here do care and that is the one thing about Philadelphians we are proud of. We have a lot of heart and we keep going even when things are tough. However, after fighting hard we finally are starting to realize that sometimes its better to just stay down. We haven't given up the fight to make positive change, but when you are fighting an army of corruption, there's not much that can be done other than to save yourself and your own, which is why there is so much apathy anymore and a lack of passion for the city. It used to be a good place to work in and visit and to live in for the most part, but the garbage is piling up and I for one am tired of walking in it every day.

It would be great if anyone who was unhappy could just up and leave, but most people living in and near the city cannot afford to get out because most do not own homes and whoever mentioned main line as an option is laughable, because that place is only for those rich enough to live there. The main line and its surrounding areas are so expensive if you have to ask how much things are there, then you definitely can't afford to live there. Renting an apartment is practically impossible as well compared to the cost of living and lack of good jobs, thanks to the ever increasing popularity of outsourcing jobs, which is killing prospects of work downtown at an alarming rate.

It does make me sad when I hear the hatred coming from other people in this area who are quick to make racial judgments, and I wonder sometimes if I am living in PA or if I moved down south, which thankfully after reading this board I will not be doing. I've watched corporate types in their expensive winter coats and gleaming high priced watches sip coffee and chat right over top of homeless people huddled on top a heating vent trying to stay warm and disregarding that human life as if its an annoyance rather than something that should spark compassion. City of Brotherly love? Only in the advertisements for tourists.

I've found that the city has become too hard and the attitudes are harsher and does not make this an appealing place to move to or stay in. Top that with the pollution and smog that physically living in this area has become very difficult. I feel as if I am choking in this place and this environment and I don't have a house to sell, but I hope I can get out of the area soon.

There is no utopia and it could always be worse somewhere else, but life's too short to slowly decay and live like the walking dead in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I don't love it and I don't hate it.

I've lived in the area and worked in the city for three years, and continue to be astonished at the corruption and attitude of entitlement among those who run the city and the surrounding local governments, the cramped housing -- even in the so-called "nice" neighborhoods, and the horrific decay of housing in the not-so-nice neighborhoods -- and deteriorating infrastructure.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:17 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAresident View Post
There is no utopia and it could always be worse somewhere else, but life's too short to slowly decay and live like the walking dead in this area.
Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I, too, grew up in the Philadelphia area, and I agree completely -- it is very disheartening to see much of such a beautiful city, which I can personally say that I LOVE -- decay over the last 50 years. Urban blight and violent crime, in particular, has hit Philadelphia very hard -- but I see this as a dismal stage to be overcome in the city's long-lasting history, and I strongly believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Although it is a work in progress, the recent rise in popularity of city-living will allow Philly to become a stronger, safer, and cleaner urban core.

Everyone from this area knows that Philadelphians are very strong-willed and civic-minded people, and although the challenges certainly seem overwhelming, with the proper mindset and effort, Philadelphia can and WILL turn around. There is nothing idealistic about that, because other cities have done the same, and Philly is not the type of city that will ever just give up. Nevertheless, I wish you luck and happiness at wherever you may move to in the future -- just don't forget where your roots are. ;-)

Last edited by Duderino; 09-08-2007 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-09-2007, 05:46 AM

6 posts, read 26,934 times
I grew up right outside Philly and have lived here for about 7 years now. Just like with any relationship, sometimes I don't like Philly, but I always love Philly.

Here I work for a non-profit & make enough money for a nice apartment (small but nice) in a nice neighborhood (affectionately referred to as "the gayborhood"). I don't have to own a car, but have 24/7 access to vehicle ranging from hybrids to lux cars thanks to PhillyCarShare.org.

The Reading Terminal Market allows me to support local farmers and butchers while stocking my fridge with fresh, yummy, budget-wise foods. All within walking distance of my front door.

The theatre scene in Philly is amazing. I have worked with actors from NYC who are amazed at the support fellow actors and the community provide the arts.

Fairmount Park is the largest green space in any US city! Eat that NYC! (just a friendly jab).

The restaurants here are top notch! I just wish those national chains would get outta here. Why go to another cookie cutter Applybee's when you can Porcinni's where the owner and his brother will feed you pasta so fresh it melts in your mouth?

There is always something going on somewhere. A show, a lecture, music, parties... and if you take a moment to look, you can find many choices under $10 (or even free!).

The Kimmel Center's rush tickets. I can walk a couple blocks from my house any given night and purchase a $10 rush ticket and be treated to anything from the Philadelphia Orchestra to Portuguese folk music and dancing.

Yeah, we have problems, but any major metropolitan city has problems like we do here. The question is, for you, does the good out weigh the bad? For me it does, but I am a city person. I like apartment living, the pulse of the city, and partaking in all it has to offer me.

I do hope that the new incoming administration can start turning those things around. But along with the bad, there is a lot of good going on right now.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM

20 posts, read 87,478 times
Default Philadelphia

I have lived in Philadelphia for many years and I must say that there is not much to say about it that would want me to stay.

The crime is high, the people are rude and I've desperate to get out.

The only other city I've been to where the people are worse the philadelphia as far as rudeness is New York City. However, I think New York is an amazing place and if the rent weren't so high and the apartments weren't so small that is where i'd be.

I am done with city living though and looking to move to Lancaster.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,558 times
Yeah, even though it has its problems, Philadelphia is a great place. Philly downtown city living blows away New York, the supposed greatest city in the world. You get more for your money, you can move around much easier. Pound for pound Philly has much more character than Manhattan right now because big box stores and a transient population have really taken the heart and soul away from NY. People move to NY especially Brooklyn now just so they can tell every person they meet that they are now "from Brooklyn" to bask in the glory of Jay-Z and Biggy and the reputation of neighborhoods that are not really rough anymore. Its a lame culture developing up there. So enjoy Philadelphia, its not perfect, but its still a great city.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 87,478 times
I'm on my way out of here. I despise Philadelphia. The suburbs are wonderful but the city is terrible.

Yes, New York is expensive and I suppose I wouldn't want to live there but there is much to do. I'm looking to get away from all this congestion and moving out where the air is clearer.

I can't wait to get out of here! I've been to many cities and I've liked them all better than this city.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchin4home View Post
I'm on my way out of here. I despise Philadelphia. The suburbs are wonderful but the city is terrible.
Yes, New York is expensive and I suppose I wouldn't want to live there but there is much to do. I'm looking to get away from all this congestion and moving out where the air is clearer.
I can't wait to get out of here! I've been to many cities and I've liked them all better than this city.
Adioooosss....find your paradise in Lancaster. Even the Amish are moving outta there..lol.
I guess you never lived in Center City Philly, perhaps the best kept secret among great American cities. Culture, night life, shopping, restaurants at your doorstep with low crime rate, what else do you want? Little Manhattan without the congestion. I don't hear Philly Center City residents complaining much about their neigborhood.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 PM

64 posts, read 297,635 times
personaly i love philadelphia as far as crime i live in newark so ive dealt with crime not so much my house being broken into or robberies or random assults but MURDER and car jacking. So as far as the crime factor ever city in the north east has it in some way or another. Philadelphia, Atlantic City, New York City, Baltimore, Boston, Providence, Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, Albany, the list goes on. But the one thing they all have in common is that people leave the city for the burbs. 5 million people live in the philadelphia area and only 1.5 million live in philly. which means that most people in that area dont leave in philadelphia. so there are going to be some problems when only the lower class remain. less money for schools, police, health care, transportation, etc. NYC has more people in the city than outside it and there are millions of free clincs. the schools are better than some of the suburbs and you can tell by the neighborhoods. Theres a coner store on almost every corner. banks on ever commerical street. most neighborhoods have more than one commerical street ( washington heights i.e. 181 st, saint nick ave, and broadway. yet still working class) basically if you care about the city at all. if you feel that this city has a crime problem, its only going to get worse leaving is going to make it any better. Lock your door . sure. Be safe. no one is arguing that but at one point you wanted to live in that city. think back to that

Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 PM

46 posts, read 111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Sorry I can not do it I HATE this city so bad Have been working on for months looking to get OUT living on a fixed income does not help
There is NOT one thing good about philadelphia crime -durgs murder
Live in the once great N/e had a drug deal going down in front of my house called the police and they WOULD NOT EVEN COME OUT Told me to deal with it
Would you rather live or be from New York?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia