Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 11:52 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
C'mon, NYC can rep all that played out, over-produced garbage from sun up to sun down. If you want what's real you'll find it in PHL. Diplo . . . RJD2 . . . Jill Scott, not household names but for people who know music they're important, top of the game people.
Even though Diplo is a Temple person, not exactly what I was going for--two DJs and a female R&B singer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:06 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
The 13-18 age group.

Oh man, Wayne in concert. I dont know whats worse, his lack of talent, or the fact that people actually LIKE his "music"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I dont know what age you meant with younger, but I see it here at Temple. There are a decent amount of us who listen to true hip hop, but man, you should've seen what it was like when Weezy came to Temple. Absolutely insane. And for the record, I have kitchen appliances with more talent than Weezy...

Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM

59 posts, read 253,959 times
"I absolutely love Philadelphia. There's diversity, history, culture, entertainment...I love the neighborhood I live in and my neighbors. I have had no problems with anyone. I recognize there are areas that are less desirable and maybe unsafe, but as with anywhere near a major city, a few blocks this way or a few blocks that way and you're in another area which may or many not be nice. Even those areas that people keep referring to as "ghettos" house people who are not criminals or lazy, but people who are working to make a living for their families and this is what they can afford. I continue to maintain that Philadelphia is a major city, as populated and busy as other cities, though smaller(LA,NYC,DC,Boston) in some cases. I don't know if anyone has recently been downtown on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but it's busy! And there are art fairs and fleemarkets and farmer's markets and activities all the time...unfortunately, there is always bad mixed with good. Are we really saying that the other major cities don't have some of the same problems we do? For those people who are struggling with finances and feel Philly is to blame, I do sympathize, but I don't believe it's the city's fault. There's so much opportunity but yes, you do need a degree, or a trade, a job, and to be continually working to become successful...as with any city"

ALthough I share your enthusiasm and love for Philly, since WHEN did Philly become smaller than Washington DC or Boston? NEVER! Only NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston and maybe Phoenix is bigger than Philly.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:16 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
ALthough I share your enthusiasm and love for Philly, since WHEN did Philly become smaller than Washington DC or Boston? NEVER! Only NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston and maybe Phoenix is bigger than Philly.
Not sure of Boston's size, but DC is about 1/3 the size of Philly. It's amazing how small it is.

I think the comment was more to the effect of characterizing those as "major" cities (after the list it also says "smaller in some cases")

Old 09-25-2008, 12:20 PM

59 posts, read 253,959 times
Not to mention the endless number of influential americans who came from these "dumps". Who has Philadelphia produced? (besides criminals) Oh thats right Rocky Balboa America's best boxer. Frank Sinatra never sang "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania", no significant artist raps, sings, talks about Philadelphia .

What are you talking about? What about John Coltrane? Patti Labelle? The Stylistics? Hall & Oates? The O'Jays? The Soul Survivors? Teddy Pendergrass? Schooly D (the originator of Gangsta Rap)? Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes? Boyz II Men? Eve? Peedi Crakk? Cassidy? Freeway? Beanie Sigel? Young Chris? Jill Scott? Musiq?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Frank Sinatra never sang "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania"
yeah, but Elton John did sing "Philadelphia Freedom!"

Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
Not to mention the endless number of influential americans who came from these "dumps". Who has Philadelphia produced? (besides criminals) Oh thats right Rocky Balboa America's best boxer. Frank Sinatra never sang "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania", no significant artist raps, sings, talks about Philadelphia .

What are you talking about? What about John Coltrane? Patti Labelle? The Stylistics? Hall & Oates? The O'Jays? The Soul Survivors? Teddy Pendergrass? Schooly D (the originator of Gangsta Rap)? Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes? Boyz II Men? Eve? Peedi Crakk? Cassidy? Freeway? Beanie Sigel? Young Chris? Jill Scott? Musiq?

And Chubby Checker, Jim Croce, Don McLean......

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM

186 posts, read 570,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Remember these people too: Kevin Bacon, Will Smith, Dick Clark, Bill Cosby, Blythe Danner, Kevin Eubanks, Tina Fey, Richard Gere, M. Night Shyamalan and many more. Too many to list actually.

Philly remains my favorite town. I have to travel there at least once a year just to get my fix of hoagies, cheese steaks, etc.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

for jazz heads:

Su Ra, Stan Getz, Clifford Brown, Jimmy Smith, Hank Mobley, McCoy Tyner, Grover Washington Jr, Stanly Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Uri Caine, Christian McBride

Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 PM

58 posts, read 200,441 times
The beautiful and talented Grace Kelly, Princess of Monaco, was born in Philadelphia.

And Kobe Bryant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia