Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,955,599 times

Advertisements

When I moved to South Philly I would bump into a few mexicans on occasion. Now there are 12,000 of them by most estimates. Again, Puerto Ricans, no doubt there are more of them in Philly. Dominicans, I couldn't really tell you.

It does seem to me like the number of mexicans might be dipping a bit with the economy. When their shops start closing it'll be obvious.

You have to consider why people come here. For a while things in the Philipines were not so great, now they're a lot better. A lot of them in the neighborhood are moving to Cherry Hill but more still are going back to their country.

The biggest minority in my 'hood are the Indonesians and even though Indonesia is a fairly stable country with decent opportunities the people that are coming here are ethnically Chinese and christian and are discriminated against over there for being Chinese and for not being muslim - the guy who owns the restaurant down the street from me is muslim, so they're here too, but mostly they're christian here.

Most of the Mexicans have no intention of staying here. They just want to make a quick buck, build themselves a house in their hometown, move home and live really well. If there's no money to be made here you'll see a lot of them go home or stop coming.

The Vietnamese community in Philly are mostly South Vietnamese, from Saigon, and came here as entrepreneurs/middle-class. They can't or won't go back because their families fought with the americans against the current regime. The people that are still coming over are mostly their extended family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM

801 posts, read 795,601 times
I can understand, but according to the latest census figures, it seems like there are more Mexicans in the area, about 90,000. I assumed that they were ALL legal!!! I'm not sure whether census is counting just the legal ones or basically all the Mexicans, but the only thing I can say about the Mexicans is that the Mexican economy has to improve greatly so all of them can have jobs!!! I know many of them are poor and are just trying to make a quick buck,and I can respect that, but this is ridiculous!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:27 PM

The census counts everyone. It doesn't matter what their status is. If you don't answer the forms and send them back in, they keep sending people to your house until the information is complete.

I was out in Lindenwold last night at a locally famous BYO bowling alley. Mexicans are definitely not confined to certain neighborhoods in the city. They have a big presence in the city because of all of the restaurants but the big employers are in the suburbs - the builders, the landscapers, the warehouses, light industry, non-unionized hotels, etc.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM

801 posts, read 795,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
The census counts everyone. It doesn't matter what their status is. If you don't answer the forms and send them back in, they keep sending people to your house until the information is complete.

I was out in Lindenwold last night at a locally famous BYO bowling alley. Mexicans are definitely not confined to certain neighborhoods in the city. They have a big presence in the city because of all of the restaurants but the big employers are in the suburbs - the builders, the landscapers, the warehouses, light industry, non-unionized hotels, etc.
I think the Mexicans are more concentrated out in the outskirts (Norristown, parts of South Jerey, DE) than they are in the city, just check out Kennett Square. As far as the city is concerned, in terms of living, it's still Caribbean Spanish that dominates (Puerto Rican and Dominican).

Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,917,208 times
What amazes me is this hispanic population in Reading! When I was living there the Reading school district was 41% hispanic. Once I was shopping in the Burlington factory downtown and EVERYONE around me was speaking spanish, it was a bit disconcerting suddenly feeling like I was in a foreign country.

Then I moved to Texas. Now I really AM in a foreign country I am so wishing I had studied Spanish in school instead of wasting my time becoming fluent in German. :P~~~

Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,057,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I am so wishing I had studied Spanish in school instead of wasting my time becoming fluent in German. :P~~~
There's always Milwaukee.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,884,362 times
You should see Los Angeles... (LOL)

Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 AM

11 posts, read 83,986 times
I think Philly just needs to hope the people that are coming to the city are going to be more productive then destructive. I kind of consider the job market first off and I know there are jobs out there but face it, there's not much room for new businesses in the city so if the population does keep rising where are they going to work? Valid or no? I'm not so sure about that just turned off the brain to fingers filter for a minute.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Good article in Forbes about the top 20 cities to weather this recession in. Philly is #10.

It's all about the eds and meds. People still go to school (20 colleges/universities in the metro), they still get sick (a dozen hospitals - some of the best), they still watch TV (Comcast), they still talk on the phone (Verizon), and they still eat food (food terminals in South Philly/Camden/Wilmington).

Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,057,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Good article in Forbes about the top 20 cities to weather this recession in. Philly is #10.

It's all about the eds and meds. People still go to school (20 colleges/universities in the metro), they still get sick (a dozen hospitals - some of the best), they still watch TV (Comcast), they still talk on the phone (Verizon), and they still eat food (food terminals in South Philly/Camden/Wilmington).

That's a pleasant surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia