U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM

21 posts, read 28,403 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a single family house near Temple Univ Hospital as an investment and I
Wonder how is the area;

Does anyone know if it's a safe and confortable area?

Will the University expand and attract more professionals in the area?

Thank you, any opinion will be appreciated
Rate this post positively

Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,538,415 times
I know people (students) who have lived right at Broad & Allegheny. They rented for a few years and didn't report any problems but they also spent their entire lives on the subway because there's nothing around there but the hospital.

Is it for you to live in? Sure, it will probably improve but it's also probably on the order of 10-15 years from now . . . but who knows with the way the economy is going. If you're looking to invest along Broad St., at least for now, I would stick between Susquehanna in North Philly (which is the northern end of the main campus of Temple U.) down to Oregon Ave. in South Philly. Plenty of opportunities with much more positive signs of change.

Stay close to the subway b/c that's where the value is.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM

22,362 posts, read 20,209,002 times
They found a police officer slumped over in his car( hope he's okay) from a heart attack or something last night. I think he was sent to Temple Hospital. With all the cops around on edge right now, they still had a gun shootout across the street from the emergency room. Needless to say they swarmed the area and made quick arrests.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM

939 posts, read 3,233,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
With all the cops around on edge right now, they still had a gun shootout across the street from the emergency room. Needless to say they swarmed the area and made quick arrests.
I was watching that on the news. Funniest thing I seen in a long time. There was probably 75 cops at the hospital, they hear shooting across the street and they all start running towards the scene with news cameras right behind them. Kinda like the scene in the movie The Bachelor when about 200 women in wedding dresses are chasing Chris O'Donnell down the street only these were cops in blue.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 AM

21 posts, read 28,403 times
Really???
This happened in the Temple Hospital area? Its crazy!

Why do we have to live with this crazyness...let's ship
All this poor b#### people somwhere out!!

The house is not for me but for as investment,
They told me the area is expanding and there is a new building coming up and prices will go up a lot

but I see the location is not safe,
I'm afraid a property manager or potential tenants will have issues living or going there

What do you think?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullio View Post
Really???
...let's ship All this poor b#### people somwhere out!!
we don't need people like you in this city. buy somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 AM

718 posts, read 2,217,214 times
So let me get this straight, you dont even own a house in North Philly, and youre already talking about pushing longtime residents out because they are poor? To make way for a house that is an investment, one that you wont even live in? Your sense of entitlement is ridiculous. You sound like a typical gentrifier, the white suburban resident who has this god given right to culture up the hood with culture-void big box chains and make money while people get displaced.

You have to respect the community you buy in because local residents will make your life a nightmare if you dont respect, especially if you intend on being a landlord. This goes for anywhere, the hood or in a nice area.

PS have fun trying to kick the "poor" out of North Philly. I dont think youll be very successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullio View Post
Really???
This happened in the Temple Hospital area? Its crazy!

Why do we have to live with this crazyness...let's ship
All this poor b#### people somwhere out!!

The house is not for me but for as investment,
They told me the area is expanding and there is a new building coming up and prices will go up a lot

but I see the location is not safe,
I'm afraid a property manager or potential tenants will have issues living or going there

What do you think?

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
we don't need people like you in this city. buy somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 AM

2,781 posts, read 6,762,215 times
Temple is continuing to gentrify N. Philly. We're offering people who live in the area way more than their houses are worth. It'll happen eventually.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,217,214 times
Well that is expected to happen in the immediate area. Most urban college campuses have off-campus housing that is often safe to live in which a few blocks later can get somewhat rough (ex: the Rutgers campuses, UPenn, Fordham U, etc). Its just some people might get real estate happy, thinking oh I missed the last wave, so there has to be another one coming, so Im going to buy 3 blocks farther out. People will offer nice coin for a house in these fringe areas and then expect the rest of what they perceive as the "bad element" to leave too. As if the world revolves around their precious little investment. Gotta have respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Temple is continuing to gentrify N. Philly. We're offering people who live in the area way more than their houses are worth. It'll happen eventually.

Last edited by DITC; 09-28-2008 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 03:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 6,762,215 times
They can buy up whatever they want--that's their prerogative. They can't force people out, so if people don't want to move, they won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia