U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,530 times

Advertisements

What is the safest public transportation route from center city to Albert Einstein Medical Center? The broad street subway safe from CC to Olney Transportation Center? Is the bus a better alternative?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,538,822 times
Where are you headed and at what time? Is CC your ultimate destination or will you be transferring?

Olney is a busy station and so are the CC stations. If it's between 6am and 8pm I would definitely pick the subway over the bus. The express trains get from Olney to City Hall in 15 minutes.

The bus takes forever. Not just because it stops at every friggin' block but because it's frequented by old folks and the infirm who can't negotiate the steps going down to the subway. I swear, I live a mile from City Hall and the few times I've taken the C it's taken me more than 10 minutes to get to Broad & Chestnut. It seems like the wheelchair ramp goes up and down every 4 blocks.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:19 PM

8,371 posts, read 19,397,297 times
I agree that the subway is the best bet during regular working hours. I would understand staying above ground north of Spring Garden after 8, especially if you're female.

I've only experienced the "pleasure" of the C bus on rare occasions...

Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,530 times
It would be during regular working hours going from CC to the Olney Station... I would be going to Olney around 7/8 and returning to CC around 4/5. There would occasionally be weekends where I would need to do the same. I am female and in my 20's. I considered getting a car to be on the safer side when I heard about the subways in North Philly. But, id rather take the subway if they are OK since it is more convienent.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,840,315 times
During those hours the subway is well-populated. A safety tip when trains are less crowded is to ride in the same car as the conductor.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,538,822 times
for doing the 9-5 thing I wouldn't hesitate to take the subway. Even on the weekends. Especially on Saturday the subway has good crowds all day long. Still, recent highly publicized event aside, you shouldn't think that the subway becomes a free for all after a certain hour. Driving in Broad St. is a lot more risky than taking the subway. Especially if you're boarding at a busy station like Olney and getting off in Center City.

Personally, i'm a lot more fearful of parking garages than I am of subway stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia