U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Reputation: 8139

Advertisements

The Jets get a fair amount of respect here and ditto with the Yankees (although this has changed drastically since 2009). Mets fans used to get some flack but not since they have been so terrible and especially since the Phillies lost a lot of their bragging rights.

You will probably get the most trash talk from Flyers fans if you are a Devils or Rangers fan and from Eagles fans if you are a Giants fan but other than that, nobody cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: stuck
1,322 posts, read 3,769,100 times
Reputation: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I am a fan of all things New York (Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks) and I'm contemplating a move to Philly. Am I going to go crazy living here? All I hear is how Philly goes bonkers over their teams.
well, i have survived since 2005. jets/yankees fan here. the only times the locals messed with me was during the 2009 world series, and when i went to the jets/eagles game. they are annoying in general, but you will find quickly that you will not be alone. plenty of ny/north nj transplants.
but i couldnt find a bar that would exclusively play the jets during football season, or the yankees during baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
Back in 89............when life was soooooooooo wonderful

Here in the philly area we were able to get NETS games because we had the NY channel WWOR 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115
in my daughter's school they teach them the words to Take Me Out to the Ballgame with the words "Let's Root Root Root for the Phillies...". As a Mets fan, I've taught her to sing it the way the teacher says, but we know that we are a family of Mets fans.

At the end of the day, I think it's all good unless you put yourself in bad situations (being a jerk in the stands, or surrounding yourself in a crowd of drunk people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
 
31 posts, read 49,400 times
Reputation: 11
EVERYBODY PLEASE LISTEN TO ME, THIS WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE.
bECAUSE IF U WANT TO WATCH NEW YORK SPORT TEAMS ON MSG OR YES NETWORK, YET U LIVE IN SOUTH JERSEY OR PHILADELPHIA ALL U NEED TO DO IS GET DIRECT TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
 
31 posts, read 49,400 times
Reputation: 11
because directv has msg or yes network yet not comcast sportnet which is for philadelphia.
as well directv also carry local philadelphia and new york channels like nbc 4, abc 7 and fox 5 but not ny1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
 
735 posts, read 978,193 times
Reputation: 281
We really don't care about New York teams. Maybe the Rangers (after the Devils and Pens, among others) and Yankees (simply because they're the Yankees), but other than that? Any "rivalry" people try to play up is nonexistent. The Phillies have a rivalry with the Braves, and some dormant ones with a few other teams. The Sixers have a rivalry with the Celtics.. maybe the Knicks to an extent too, and of course the Lakers.. because they're the Lakers. The Eagles have rivalries with the Steelers and most importantly with the Cowboys. The Giants are just another divisional opponent, like the Redskins. The Flyers, well we already went over that.

Oh, and the Sixers definitely have a loyal fan base. They may not go to as many games but more than a few people watch almost every game on TV. The tradition that is passed down through generations is one of going to the occasional game (because most of us can't afford season tickets) and watching the rest on TV or listening to them on the radio. Same with the Phillies, though people have always gone to more Phillies games than Sixers games. It's the Eagles and Flyers that people go to the most games of, and not because they're the two somewhat consistently successful teams in the city. Also, don't forget the role demographic changes have played in changing the different fanbases in the city.

It really made me laugh to hear a Celtics player call our fans bandwagon fans. People in glass houses...

Now as for the fans who disrespected Jayson Werth when he injured himself, who cheered when Noah injured himself, who booed Iguodala and LeBron every time either touched the ball, etc... they are the bandwagon fans. They are the pansies from the suburbs who didn't even watch the Sixers when they got rid of Iverson.... not until they got to the playoffs again. They don't know anything about basketball or any other sport and are a disgrace to those of us who are real, die-hard fans of every Philly sport.

Last time I checked, New York knew a little something about having its die-hard fans be disgraced and drowned out by its bandwagon fans. Same with Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
We really don't care about New York teams. Maybe the Rangers (after the Devils and Pens, among others) and Yankees (simply because they're the Yankees), but other than that? Any "rivalry" people try to play up is nonexistent. The Phillies have a rivalry with the Braves, and some dormant ones with a few other teams. The Sixers have a rivalry with the Celtics.. maybe the Knicks to an extent too, and of course the Lakers.. because they're the Lakers. The Eagles have rivalries with the Steelers and most importantly with the Cowboys. The Giants are just another divisional opponent, like the Redskins. The Flyers, well we already went over that.

Oh, and the Sixers definitely have a loyal fan base. They may not go to as many games but more than a few people watch almost every game on TV. The tradition that is passed down through generations is one of going to the occasional game (because most of us can't afford season tickets) and watching the rest on TV or listening to them on the radio. Same with the Phillies, though people have always gone to more Phillies games than Sixers games. It's the Eagles and Flyers that people go to the most games of, and not because they're the two somewhat consistently successful teams in the city. Also, don't forget the role demographic changes have played in changing the different fanbases in the city.

It really made me laugh to hear a Celtics player call our fans bandwagon fans. People in glass houses...

Now as for the fans who disrespected Jayson Werth when he injured himself, who cheered when Noah injured himself, who booed Iguodala and LeBron every time either touched the ball, etc... they are the bandwagon fans. They are the pansies from the suburbs who didn't even watch the Sixers when they got rid of Iverson.... not until they got to the playoffs again. They don't know anything about basketball or any other sport and are a disgrace to those of us who are real, die-hard fans of every Philly sport.

Last time I checked, New York knew a little something about having its die-hard fans be disgraced and drowned out by its bandwagon fans. Same with Boston.

The people in this city are bandwagon fans since they only show up when the team is winning. The sixers haven;t had a fan base since 2003. That is the same for all the teams in this city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Phila4Now
3,151 posts, read 3,302,822 times
Reputation: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The people in this city are bandwagon fans since they only show up when the team is winning.
Agreed with previous post that maybe they can only afford to go to some games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Agreed with previous post that maybe they can only afford to go to some games

The fans in this city are ungrateful and expect the teams to go undefeated every season. Not sure where that attitude came from since winning a championship is not easy in any sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top