U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times

Advertisements

I am a fan of all things New York (Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks) and I'm contemplating a move to Philly. Am I going to go crazy living here? All I hear is how Philly goes bonkers over their teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 09:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I am a fan of all things New York (Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks) and I'm contemplating a move to Philly. Am I going to go crazy living here? All I hear is how Philly goes bonkers over their teams.

A Jets fan should have no problem and since nobody here cares about the 76ers, supporting the Knicks will be no problem. Going to games and cheering for the Giants and Mets, however, may be a different story. I don't think you would be bothered just walking around with their garb. (Although maybe not the weeks the Giants and Eagles are playing.)

Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
The rep is way overblown. Most of the sports fans in Philly, at least the ones that can afford $7500 seat licenses and $175 tickets, are suburban pansies living in mcmansions in Cherry Hill and Valley Forge. As long as you don't go into the Linc wearing a Giants jersey talking smack you'll be fine. The Flyers fans are pretty loyal as well, there is a certain lunatic fringe with this group so you have to be careful at Flyers games as well. Phillies fans are not an issue and the Sixers fans don't exist.

Overall More bark than bite.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:57 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
I don't think Philly sports fans really care about New York teams. The Eagles have historically rivaled Dallas and the Phils have historically rivaled Atlanta. Wearing a Cowboys jersey in South Philly might be grounds for getting a beat down, but NY sports aren't really on the radar in Philadelphia.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
I think because Philly and New York are so geographically close and, truth be told, New York teams have had a lot more success (sometimes at our teams' expense), Philly sports fans are taught at a young age to "hate " New York teams.

I don't think just wearing a New York sports jersey around town will cause you any problems. At the stadiums, you'd probably be among many Giants and Mets fans who come down since it's relatively close. You may not see so many Knicks or Rangers fans at the arena. People probably don't care much about the Jets or Yankees since we play them rarely... although we probably dislike Steinbrenner on general principle. (He's Jerry Jones without the cowboy hat! )

On the other hand, you probably won't make too many friends if you complain or brag aloud, "Well in New York, we did things this way..."

Old 02-18-2007, 04:05 PM

46 posts, read 198,533 times
Default NY Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post

I moved from New York to the Philly area in 1980..rough transition. I was a diehard Yankees, Giants, Knicks and Rangers fan and held these allegiances for a long time. I attended Flyers games and rooted for the Rangers and took a lot of good natured ribbing from Flyers fans at the games. there are jerks everywhere but people are generally nice.

I agree with the others regarding the 76'ers...no one cares...but then again...who cares about the Knicks either. If I had to root for one over the other, I'd root for the 76'ers at this point.

I was an unabashed Giants fan for about ten years after I moved here but now a diehard Iggles fan. The fans are the greatest and the product is good and entertaining. The Giants suck anyway. Forget about them. They're all legends in their own minds. If you must root for the Giants you'll be safe...maybe be berated a bit and have a pretzel or two bounce off your noggin but the Vet is closed and the new stadium's crowds are mellower than the immortal 700 sections of the Vet.

I still root for the Jets...unless they're playing the Iggles and I'm still a die hard Yankee fan. Rooting for the Phillies is like rooting for the Cubs so no one really cares. Just a diversion until Eagles training camp starts although this year they have some nice players. Usually there are more Met Fans than Philly fans when the Mets come down to play...you're safe.

Good luck with the move and go Eagles and Yankees!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 PM

578 posts, read 1,906,127 times
Do the Rangers bring a lot of fans to Philly?

Why is the NBA so low in Philly....I would think it would like NY with the NBA.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 AM

3,485 posts, read 8,318,272 times
I think the Sixers have a small number of hardcore fans (though they do have a solid number of casual fans) because many Philadelphia basketball fans like college basketball more. Philadelphia is almost unique among the very large cities with NBA teams in that college basketball at worst rivals the NBA for interest and probably is more popular among the majority of fans who like basketball. The history of the Philadelphia Big Five schools (and we'll include Drexel in there), both individually and collectively, is lengthy and deep. In particular, Villanova, St. Joe's, and Penn have pretty rabid and loyal fanbases.

Philadelphia fans in general like sports that are physical and involve hitting. That's why Philly is arguably the top U.S. hockey market and is a very good NFL market. Heck, it's not concidental that Philadelphia has long been one of the strongholds for pro wrestling, especially extreme pro wrestling. The famed Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) was based in Philadelphia.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
The only time the 76ers drew large crowds was when Allen Iverson played here and that even stopped towards the end of his time here. Dr. J often played to many empty seats in Philadelphia (even during the playoffs).

Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
A Jets fan should have no problem and since nobody here cares about the 76ers, supporting the Knicks will be no problem. Going to games and cheering for the Giants and Mets, however, may be a different story. I don't think you would be bothered just walking around with their garb. (Although maybe not the weeks the Giants and Eagles are playing.)
lol, well its not like wearing a knicks jersey is anything to be proud about these days either...

i do see a lot of yankees hats in the city. i'm guilty of it myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or