Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 28,530 times

Advertisements

Hey folks!

I know I ask a lot of questions, more so than putting in my own responses to other questions, but seeing that I just moved here, questions are all I've got.

That said, I find it's pretty easy to explore Philadelphia on my own, check out the mainstream and off-the-beaten track locations and sites, and I'm trying to plan some trips to get to know the suburbs, and beyond. Natural locations, trails, parks, historic sites, et cetera. Basically anything that's not right here in the city limits.

So what are your favorite locations to visit? What are the most memorable? Provocative?

Thanks for the input!

Greg

ps. Please don't hesitate to mention if the places can be visited via regional rail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
You might just love Lahaska and the Peddlers Village. It is just a joy to visit.......here is the link
Welcome to Peddler's Village

Little ones love Giggleberry, and the adults love the shopping and quaintness...

If you like Antiques, stop at New Hope which is just one town over for a great walking area of cute shops and other wonderful things to see and do there.
http://www.newhopepa.com/events.htm

Old 10-04-2008, 01:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Longwood Gardens
You may love the Longwood Gardens ( Kennett Square) or the Winterthur Mansion and festivities.
Longwood is decorated at Christmas time for the holidays.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,738 times
Linvilla orchards is great this time of year, especially if you have kids, but going with a friend or sig other is fun too...

Also check out the Newlin Grist Mill, Ridley Creek State Park, downtown Media and West Chester, Valley Forge, Brandywine Battlefield and vineyards in that area...

Linvilla Orchards - your one-stop destination for online fruit basket orders, Pick-Your-Own fresh fruits, gifts and crafts for all seasons, farming fun and education for families, schools, bus and day trips, as well as our famous bakery, farm market,

Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,568 times
Valley Forge is great for walking, biking, blading. Beautiful natural scenery and lots of historical spots to check out. We like to just drive through the park close to dusk to check out the HUNDREDS of deer. Valley Forge National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Also the Perkiomen Trail WELCOME TO MONTGOMERY COUNTY'S PERKIOMEN TRAIL (http://www.montcopa.org/parks/perkiomentrail/ - broken link) and the Schuylkill River Trail Schuylkill River Trail:Schuylkill River Heritage Area are very nice. Also the John James Audobon Center at Mill Grove is nice. The Perkiomen trail essentially goes right by it.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Linvilla orchards is great this time of year, especially if you have kids, but going with a friend or sig other is fun too...

I hope the rebuild the old barn. From what I read they are going to. I remember going there as a kid on school field trips. I'm actually surprised its still there with all the development that's happened the past 25 - 30 years.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
Hopewell Village is just over an hours away. You have the historic ironmaster works, the lake and a swimming pool. Plus its the closest real mountain and forest to Philly for hiking. Just beyond it on route 23 you have amish country. Daniel Boone Homsestead isn't too far away from Hopewell and its almost right in the historic Oley Valley historic district. King Of prussia of course is Philly's shopping mecca.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 59,585 times
All of the above are great suggestions.

I haven't been there in a long time, but I remember Crystal Cave (between Kutztown and Allentown) being pretty cool.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford Winery, Hagley Museum, a little bit longer but a visit to Amish Country (Lancaster County), Booths Corner Farmers Market (not sure if they still have the Friday night auction or if it is even worth it), Taylor and Tyler Arboreatums, Rose Valley Park in the summer for the concerts and plays.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,864,610 times
They've already been mentioned but I just wanted to second suggestions for Peddlers Village, New Hope and Valley Forge.

I don't think Doylestown has been mentioned yet though? There's some interesting places to visit in and around there, like the Mercer Museum, Fonthill Castle, Moravian Tile Works.
The Bucks County Historical Society: Index
Official site of Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Newtown is also a cute, historic town and is where a few scenes from "Signs" was filmed.
Newtown, PA-Arts, History & Adventure in Bucks County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia