Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 17,714 times

Advertisements

Dear forum supporters,
I've read several posts and I have received very useful hints, but I think it's now time to ask my questions.
I'm planning to move to US from Europe (an Italian living in south of France to be more precise) and I'm targeting Philadelphia or Boston area.
I would define my family (my wife, my son 10 yrs. and myself) as upper-middle class, in our late 40s, we are looking for a place with very good schools at first, nice neighbours, safe, walkable areas with shops, restaurant and coffees. Hey, we adore the US but somehow we are still Italian. We do not want to stay in a big city, commuting time is not an issue.
If possible not too much snow in the winter nor hot and sticky summer days.
After several investigation, a place like Wallingford,PA ringed some bells, but here is where I quit and I commend my final decision into your suggestions.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Alberto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
If you want Mediterranean weather you'll have to head to California. The weather in Philadelphia is very similar to that of Milan. Boston is colder.

Is that what you had in mind?

Aussi, quel type de maison? combien des chambres? bains? le jardin?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:11 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi1_98 View Post
Dear forum supporters,
I've read several posts and I have received very useful hints, but I think it's now time to ask my questions.
I'm planning to move to US from Europe (an Italian living in south of France to be more precise) and I'm targeting Philadelphia or Boston area.
I would define my family (my wife, my son 10 yrs. and myself) as upper-middle class, in our late 40s, we are looking for a place with very good schools at first, nice neighbours, safe, walkable areas with shops, restaurant and coffees. Hey, we adore the US but somehow we are still Italian. We do not want to stay in a big city, commuting time is not an issue.
After several investigation, a place like Wallingford,PA ringed some bells, but here is where I quit and I commend my final decision into your suggestions.
Alberto
Many Europeans are happier in NJ than the Philly/PA burbs. I've met several who relocated to places like Haddonfield, Moorestown, Medford, those places offer a lot of amenties that Europeans are used to having - restaurants, shopping, access to major roads, walking around downtown, great schools and access to major cities like NYC and Philly. Compare for yourself but towns in PA offer less than comparable towns in NJ.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:08 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Many Europeans are happier in NJ than the Philly/PA burbs. I've met several who relocated to places like Haddonfield, Moorestown, Medford, those places offer a lot of amenties that Europeans are used to having - restaurants, shopping, access to major roads, walking around downtown, great schools and access to major cities like NYC and Philly. Compare for yourself but towns in PA offer less than comparable towns in NJ.
Please ignore MoorestownResident's continuously biased posts, because they're garbage. Wallingford is a great area.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Aussi, quel type de maison? combien des chambres? bains? le jardin?
Solibs, nous parlons seulment anglais ici. Merci!

Solibs, we only speak English here. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Dear forum supporters,
Alberto
If you don't want too much snow and don't want hot, sticky days, move to Oregon or Washington. Mild weather, though rainy and cloudy in winter. Both states are BEAUTIFUL. Lots of greenery.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Solibs, nous parlons seulment anglais ici. Merci!

Solibs, we only speak English here. Thanks!
por supuesto! entiendo bien.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Thank you everybody.
I know the weather we have here is hardly matchable, but we prefer to remain on the East coast.
I can deal a weather similar to Milan, even if it is not my preferred one. Snow it is not an issue.
After reading "Mooretownresident" post I was consdering NJ as another option, but now you make me worry telling his posts are garbage.
Are there remarkable differences between PA and NJ within a radius of 25 miles from Philadelphia ?
Good schools and low crime remain a must
And, please, do not blame "solibs", an act of kindness is always welcome.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you everybody.
I know the weather we have here is hardly matchable, but we prefer to remain on the East coast.
I can deal a weather similar to Milan, even if it is not my preferred one. Snow it is not an issue.
After reading "Mooretownresident" post I was consdering NJ as another option, but now you make me worry telling his posts are garbage.
Are there remarkable differences between PA and NJ within a radius of 25 miles from Philadelphia ?
Good schools and low crime remain a must
And, please, do not blame "solibs", an act of kindness is always welcome.
Seriously, what type of house are you looking for? How many bedrooms? How about a garden? You can get a lot of space here. How much do you want to spend?

The NJ suburbs only extend about 15 miles from Center City before becoming more rural. About half of southern New Jersey is in a zone where development is severely restricted. It's mostly pine forests and farms.

If you compare development by time period, for instance, a town developed in the 1920s and a neighborhood built in the 1950s or 1970s, they're indistinguishable. The only real difference is that Pennsylvania has rolling hills where NJ is very flat.

Also, about 1/3 of the metro population lives in South Jersey. The other 2/3 live in PA.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Individual house, in a nice residential area, 4 bedrooms are enough, definitely a garden. Budget max. is 1.000.000.
Do you have any suggestion about an area to visit during my next trip scheduled for November ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia