Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Does Rutgers have a strong alumni network like Temple? Since I have to ask, I'm guessing the answer is no...
Rutgers has 45,000 students and who knows how many alumni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
I would imagine that Rutgers alumni have a strong influence in New Jersey just as Temple alumni do in greater Philadelphia. That said, since Rutgers' Camden campus is smaller than the main New Brunswick campus, I would expect it not to be a fair comparison to a larger Temple campus. Rutgers-Camden certainly offers hope to a challenged area.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 16,591 times
Lets not get crazy. Youw ont be shot down when you enter Camden, and I know a few people that live in Camden. However, I would not ever make a move to the city of Camden because it would be very uncomfortable and you cannot walk the streets alone at night.

One person was acting like NJ is all horrifying. NJ is liek everywhere else, you have good people and bad people. Every city mentioned online has 50 people telling you streets not to touch, but when you do it really isnt that bad. If you want to be close to Philadelphia but out of bad areas go just south of Camden.......Pitman, Marlton, Mullica Hill, Swedesboro are all GREAT areas to live!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times
Camden has nothing to do with the rest of South Jersey.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 AM

344 posts, read 841,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I used to have to commute through West Philly to Penn, so I know bad areas.
you GOT to be kidding me
were you coming from lancaster or media?
did you consider "going into the city" as this big taboo???
west philly is not bad areas at all, especially in a post talking about camden and north philly
south west is a different story. i'll give you that
but you certainly were not born nor raised in philadelphia county, cuz you DONT get it
or if you really DO BELIEVE THIS, you gotta stop blending in Moderator Cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-09-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I would imagine that Rutgers alumni have a strong influence in New Jersey just as Temple alumni do in greater Philadelphia. That said, since Rutgers' Camden campus is smaller than the main New Brunswick campus, I would expect it not to be a fair comparison to a larger Temple campus. Rutgers-Camden certainly offers hope to a challenged area.
To the folks in New Brunswick, the Camden and Newark campuses may as well be in Ohio.

The 3 schools really have little to do with each other. Even then, each campus has several colleges, so, even at a small campus like Camden I only really saw other students who were also enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Also, Rutgers College is the exclusive school of the New Brunswick campus and of the entire system so you're most likely to find that strong alumni influence centered around that school.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
you GOT to be kidding me
were you coming from lancaster or media?
did you consider "going into the city" as this big taboo???
west philly is not bad areas at all, especially in a post talking about camden and north philly
south west is a different story. i'll give you that
but you certainly were not born nor raised in philadelphia county, cuz you DONT get it
or if you really DO BELIEVE THIS, you gotta stop blending in, smoking those rocks on the drive to work
Not all of West Philly is bad but a good portion of it is. The area north of Market St. between 40th & 60th is bad. Even east of 40th St. I wouldn't hang out north of Spring Garden. The area south of Market ranges from a little rough to really nice. Even then I think the rough parts look a lot worse than they actually are.

In Southwest Philly, i'll agree, Kingsessing is pretty bad. Elmwood ranges from bad to OK and Eastwick ranges from OK to decent.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Not all of West Philly is bad but a good portion of it is. The area north of Market St. between 40th & 60th is bad. Even east of 40th St. I wouldn't hang out north of Spring Garden. The area south of Market ranges from a little rough to really nice. Even then I think the rough parts look a lot worse than they actually are.

In Southwest Philly, i'll agree, Kingsessing is pretty bad. Elmwood ranges from bad to OK and Eastwick ranges from OK to decent.
yeah, north of market and 40th on out, there are some drug blocks in there, whereas it would be dangerous for nonlocals to drive through, but thats more like the Bottom. yeah, i guess its part of west. but the bottom is its own animal hehe, grizzly and snarlin

but yeah, alot of parts are just "look". there's alot of functional fiends there, that have jobs and all....so those low-key, indoor use, calm crackheads

i'll put it this way, taking a bus at night through west vs SW, are two entirely different experiences

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

40 posts, read 229,304 times
I live in Haddon Heights and I work in University City. I take the PATCO train from Haddonfield to 8th & Market in Philly every day. When we go through Camden (it's above ground at that point) it looks just awful. I see tons of students everyday that get on the PATCO in Haddonfield, Westmont and Collingswood with their backpacks and books and get off in Camden to go to college at Rutgers. So lots of people do this. I would suggest that as well. I am a nurse and I interviewed at Cooper Hospital in Camden. I talked with a security officer there. He told me that I would be safe within a one-block perimeter around Cooper, but to be sure not to make a wrong turn. I have heard it is the same at Rutgers. If you lived, say in Collingswood, then you could just take the PATCO to Camden and go to class during the day and then come home. I think it would be safe to do that.

Also, yes, Camden is not currently the #1 most dangerous city in the US anymore. New Orleans is. Camden is now #2!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:19 PM

i have a friend that commutes from merchantville, nj to camden for work, for at least 5 years now. she's a few blocks from the methadone clinic hehe. she says that even in broad daylight, everyone is walking around like zombies lololol...those were not her actual words, but that was the feel every time it comes up lolololol. the look in her eye is even better . due to how people carry themselves, she's not comfortable going out to get lunch within a block or 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia