Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 AM

13,249 posts, read 33,384,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketmom View Post
Anybody have an opinion of Villanova University and surrounding areas? Thinking of sending my son there for school - he is looking for lots to do in surrounding areas but wants to stay away from city life (we live in northern NYC suburbs) - right now he is fine with going to city for culture experiences, but absolutely does not want to live in a city atmosphere.
My daughter had a HS friend that graduated from Villanova in 2007. She's now in grad school in Boston and enjoyed her time at 'Nova. She's a small town girl with a Mom who is a teacher and a Dad who is an engineer. She chose it because of great merit aid.

At this point, visit, apply and then see what happens. Make sure he has some back-ups too. Villanova is not a typical safety school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,508,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
She's a small town girl with a Mom who is a teacher and a Dad who is an engineer.
Hardly working class...

And after rereading the OP, St. Joe's is definitely a better fit as far as goal oriented kids there to prepare for the working world...

And yes, Bloomingdales is upscale.

Consider that most of America buys its clothes at KMart, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Target, Sears and Penneys you can clearly see the difference in clientele.

And I agree Nordstrom is great - upscale without being pretentious. I just remember being swarmed by salespeople at Bloomingdales and I really hate that kind of suck up treatment...I was only walking through the store to get to the mall!

Last edited by orrmobl; 10-22-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,187,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
And yes, Bloomingdales is upscale.
That's news to me. I know plenty of regular middle class people who go/shop there. I've never considered it to be pretentious or snobby or anything.

Also, in regards to preparing you for the real world, Temple>>>>SJU in that regard

Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 AM

13,249 posts, read 33,384,411 times
I guess I don't like to pigeon-hole people so much. Our neighbor has three kids, one graduated from Hofstra, one from St. Joe's and one from Towson. My kids went or graduated from private colleges out of state, another neighbors kids graduated from or went to Indiana University of PA and Philadelphia University. All kids are from the same town, parents middle class. All of the graduated kids are working in the field they went to college for. I realize that each college has a certain "vibe" but I don't think any of them are overwhelmingly full of one kind of student or another.

I'm not really clear on who is "working class", perhaps people that used to be called blue collar? Do I have to stop shopping at Target and Kohl's now? We don't have a Bloomingdales or a Nordstrom. Do I have to move?? So confused.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Blue collar is both what people do and their sensibilities.

Working class is the way you grew up and often the sensibilities or "class" you consider yourself/who you identify with/hang out with/your family members if you like them enough to associate with them .

My parents are blue collar, I am white collar but consider myself working class in that I don't shop at high end places, eat at high end restaurants, drive a European car, etc...

We love Disney World, booze cruises, chain restaurants, the 700 level at the Vet, drive Japanese cars and hate martini drinking yuppies...its funny that I always laughed at yuppies and even now when I have the trappings of yuppiedom, I still laugh at them. Metrosexuals especially - how can women find men who primp and groom more than them attractive?

This is what makes finding a new house so hard - I want top notch schools with down to earth people - that is hard to find around here and I don't really want to live on the West Coast...

And sorry JHG you and those folks shopping at Bloomingdale's are predominantly upper middle class - of course there will be a few middle class folks in there but not the majority....

Old 10-22-2008, 12:31 PM

248 posts, read 795,000 times
I am one major Target lover

Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,498,717 times
Blue collar is actually an industry or occupation, such as skilled, unskilled labor and manufacturing, has nothing to do with where one shops or eats.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-22-2008 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: presented statistics far from accurate and seem designed to incite disagreement

Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,187,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
And sorry JHG you and those folks shopping at Bloomingdale's are predominantly upper middle class - of course there will be a few middle class folks in there but not the majority....
If you say so, but I've always found Nordstrom to be on an entirely different level.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,920,684 times
Ditto JHG722 and toobusytoday. Bloomies is not Target but it's sure not Niemans either. I don't like pigeon holing people so much either. The anti-snob sentiment really is getting old, starting to sound more and MORE like an inferiority complex. The folks I know that went to 'Nova are all working class, REALLY smart kids on scholarship that came from huge catholic families. I had a dirt poor friend from Lansdowne who worked his way through school there. I think the area surrounding campus is beautiful and would be a great place to go to school.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 PM

And I get really tired of people who grew up pretty darn well not acknowledging that classism is alive and well in America and that one size definitely does not fit all.

67% of bloomingdales.com shoppers make more than $60,000 a year
67% also have a bachelor degree or better

This is hardly middle class...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia