Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 50,876 times

Advertisements

Anybody have an opinion of Villanova University and surrounding areas? Thinking of sending my son there for school - he is looking for lots to do in surrounding areas but wants to stay away from city life (we live in northern NYC suburbs) - right now he is fine with going to city for culture experiences, but absolutely does not want to live in a city atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times
Good school but nothing to do around there. It is not that close to center city. I guess it depends how well he makes friends on campus. If you're coming from NYC metro that area might seem like Kansas. Go visit to be sure. It's not a vibrant community IMO.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,038 times
Villanova is a wealthy area. There's lots of multi-million dollar houses in the area. It's inhabitants include Philadelphia-area executives, lawyers, doctors, investors, business people, and a sprinkling of local sports personalities and other local celebrities. Villanova itself is nothing more than a census-designated place. Check out Wikipedia for a brief description of Villanova.

Villanova is located on what is referred to as Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs. There's plenty of places for your son to hang out in Ardmore, Wayne, and Conshohocken, all of which are nearby. Center City is about a half hour drive or train ride. I doubt you or your son will think it's like Kansas. Where are you coming from in the northern NYC suburbs? CT or NY?

You'll have to pardon MoorestownResident. He's an anti-PA troll and is always in wars of words with a PA poster who happens to live in Villanova, so this was MR's first strike at making Villanova look bad. Sorry your thread is sucked into this petty nonsense.

Certainly visit the region, but I seriously doubt you're going to leave with a bad impression.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM

We are in NY northern suburbs. My son has researched the area and we do plan a couple of trips to make sure this is the school for him (it is his "reach" school). He loved Fordham, which is not too far from us (less than 20 miles) but the minute you step off campus it is to harried for him. I just want to make sure that he doesn't put the area up on a pedestal and ignore something else that may be better suited. I appreciate all points of view, and believe me, I can spot a hater when I see one. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:02 AM

I don't think the attack was justified, I am simply saying go see the area to be sure he is comfortable there. It is certainly a high quality school and general proximity to Philly is an overall asset but I'm not convinced it makes for the best college experience. He would definitely need a car on campus. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,038 times
Villanova can be a bit congested with traffic. If I'm correct in assuming that you mean the Westchester campus of Fordham (I've never seen it, by the way), I'm going to venture a guess and say that Villanova is not as "harried" as you mention in your previous post.

Villanova is not remotely collegiate like Cambridge but the campus is gorgeous and it sits in a wonderful, if not a bit snobbish, area.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
He wouldn't need a car on campus. There is an R5 train station close to campus that would bring you into Philly as well as the other Mainline towns like Wayne, Ardmore, etc. that have more nightlife. The area around Villanova is very different from the area around Fordham Rose Hill. Lancaster Avenue (Route 30) bisects the campus and is a busy road, but there are quiet residential streets around the campus as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
I went to Villanova and lived in Wayne in an apartment with other students. There is a lot to do on the main line and getting into Philly is easy by public transportation (train) or car. Its a nice campus as others have said in a VERY affluent area. When I went there, a lot of the students came from North Jersey, Long Island and other suburbs of NYC. I guess that is still the case. I always wondered why that is so. Does Villanova have a good reputation around NYC and New England?

If you need any more specifics, feel free to PM me.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Our HS guidance counselors do not seem to push it, but for my son, who likes the philosophy of Jesuit & Christian universities, it is a real draw. Smaller classes, more academically-minded students, with a real career goal in mind - he is not the typical senior looking for that party school. We live in Westchester County (recently dubbed the most-taxed area in the US) but we are not affluent people - basically working class, albeit with college education. My husband works in NYC, I am local. Our children have been lucky enough to have the best of both worlds - the quiet suburbs and access to NYC and all it has to offer, only a train ride away. That is also why Villanova appeals to many in our area - similar access to all, yet away from the city life.
What was your experience as a student there? Especially interested in any cons you may have had - honesty from someone who has been there and maybe might have done something differently.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Regardless of the school there will be a real shortage of engineers in every discipline over the coming years, if he has any interest or is inclined in math this would be a very wise choice. One of the worst decisions kids can make is go through college without much of a gameplan and pick a major not strategically suited for the new economy. Thousands of elementary education majors every year in the northeast with basically no new jobs to fill. In Pittsburgh, for example, the ratio of education majors to teaching positions is among the highest in the country. Meanwhile there is shortage of nursing students. Picking a major like English or Philosophy might seem like a wise choice but one should research the types of fields where it can be useful. Some kids major in Philosophy, for example, and end up spending a lot of money at a good school only to have little or no career-path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia