Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM

71 posts, read 337,361 times

Advertisements

I live near Rittenhouse off of 20th, and am thinking about bringing my car to commute to the KoP area, as public transportation is just a little too difficult to get out there. Where do most people park their cars? I would really like to spend as little as possible, though I know it seems to be expensive to park a car overnight and have a reserved spot. What is the going rate, where are the cheapest lots? What should I avoid or be forewarned about, are there any side streets that tend to have parking that no one knows about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Philly Car Share Baby - learn it, live it, love it!

PhillyCarShare

Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM

OK...well I have a Zipcar membership. But what I'm bringing the car here for is because I'm commuting to a job in King of Prussia, and let's face it, that would be way too pricey to rent out a car every day of the week.

If anyone has any prices or advice as far as where to park your car in the city, please let me know! I have no idea what the rates are and I don't want to get ripped off.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Google Baby Google

This one is $325 per month:
Parking at 1728 Rittenhouse Square - ParkWhiz (http://www.parkwhiz.com/parking/philadelphia/1728-rittenhouse-square/ - broken link)

Someone recommended this one as they have a number of garages/rates - be sure to ask for 24 hour daily parking - $375/month
E-Z Park - great places to park in Philadelphia

Philadelphia Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly Prices Lots (http://philly.bestparking.com - broken link) - seems to be the price leader but may not be near you

Philadelphia Parking Authority

OR from an unnamed source:

"I'm going to be the bold one and suggest that you sell the car now. In the long term, it'll be a greater hassle than a convenience. I had a friend who lived off 22nd and she said the best thing she did (two years to late) was get rid of her car.

If you need a car occasionally to do stuff, get rid of yours and join Philly Car Share.

If you're planning to live in Rittenhouse Square and need the car to commute to work... I'd suggest living somewhere else."

So there you go, my first answer, though succinct, was really all you need to know!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Why don't you park your car at the closest train station to your office? You'll never have to worry about finding a space there, it's free, and you'll never have to worry about traffic on the expressway. It would certainly be cheaper than renting a space in town.

The 124/125 buses also run up the expressway if your work is closer to the mall. 20th & JFK is one of the last stops before the Mall.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 AM

They're not all free...out that way I'm betting they're not

Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
You may have to check with the particular train station. I know that Regional Rail stations charge for parking. I don't know for sure about the Norristown High-Speed Line.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 AM

I will check into that, although I agree with a lot of you that I doubt it would be free. Also, I am moving out of the city eventually, but I still have 8 months left on my lease so I can't leave anytime soon. So selling the car is not an option.

Also the reason I'm asking on here is because I have looked up some rates on google, but like any city, there are always places that you can't find online, that most locals know about by experience. Anyone know of anything cheaper than $300 a month? It doesn't even have to be a garage. I just want to have a guaranteed place to park the car every night.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
You're right, parking is $1 a day. Weekend parking is free.

I was thinking PATCO, where you only have to pay to park between 8am & Noon. So if your car was with you at work all day you wouldn't have to worry about paying.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM

39 posts, read 125,421 times
I parked my car closed to train station. It has free park but you need to get there earlier but you can buy monthly parking. daily is $1 in ambler train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia