Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM

Location: Fairfax county, Virginia (20 miles from Washington D.C.)
6 posts, read 23,704 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a full time live-in Nanny position with a family that lives in Penn Valley, in a new 3800 sq ft home.

I am in Fairfax, Virginia (otherwise known as the "insane rat-race D.C. area"), where I've lived since 1991, and am anxious to move to a place with a SLOWER pace of life and FRIENDLIER people. (Am originally from a small suburb outside of Milwaukee, Wisconsin - born & raised there.)

ANY information on the Penn Valley area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Not fast paced but old money and some folks are snobby and hang out with the country club set. So expect to make friends with the help rather than the residents. Maybe I'm being cynical but I'm positive its not like your hometown.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM

96 posts, read 360,496 times
Actually, Penn Valley is not old money at all. It's a lot of new money. Although it is generally considered to be on the Main Line because it is in Lower Merion Township, Penn Valley is not technically a part of the original and traditional Main Line, which is defined as the towns along the railroad. I also would not describe it as "country club set" at all, in the way that this phrase is most frequently used to describe places like Gladwyne and Haverford, PA (or Chevy Chase, MD or McLean, VA).

To that end, unlike a lot of the older areas on the Main Line, the housing stock in Penn Valley is newer, post-1970s (just like the money). Note that PV shares a zip code with Narberth (19072) but is very different from Narberth in that the Borough of Narberth is a town-like community with a main street, town park and playground, library, post office and shopping district. Penn Valley is purely suburban residential except for Montgomery Avenue, which borders Penn Valley to the west. You need a car because almost everything you could need or want -- supermarkets, schools, fast food, department stores, boutique shopping, gym, movie, gas station-- are a 5 minute drive away.

Public schools in PV are excellent (PV Elementary, Welsh Valley Middle and Harriton or Lower Merion HS) though many students go to private schools that are the equivilent of NCS/St. Albans, Sidwell, Gonzaga and Georgetown Prep.

Although I don't have the statistics, most residents of Penn Valley are Jewish. There are several temples, including Har Zion, which is generally considered to be among the wealthiest conservative congregations in the Philadelphia area. It is not uncommon to see a line of Rolls Royces parked on Hagy's Ford Road during High Holy Days.

For your off hours, please be aware that without a car, public transportation is limited from Penn Valley into Philadelphia. There is a bus (Septa 121) that runs during week day rush hour only and takes about 45 minutes. There is a train in Narberth, if you are close enough to walk into town, that takes 20 minutes. It's about 20 minutes to drive directly into Center City. Penn Valley isn't a sidewalk kind of place. Nannies and maids push strollers in the street -- just something to think about if you won't have access to a car on your off hours. I think it could feel very isolated, but that's generally my opinion of being a live-in in any suburb anywhere.

I'm not sure any of this information answers your original question about pace and friendliness. If you are looking for a big change in atmosphere from NOVA and something more like suburban Milwaukee, I personally don't think Penn Valley (or most of the Philly suburbs where people maintain full time staff) is it.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
You summed it up pretty well. I have a friend who lives in a very nice $3M+ house in PV. It's a nice area, and very quiet.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 AM

Location: Fairfax county, Virginia (20 miles from Washington D.C.)
6 posts, read 23,704 times
Just want to say THANKS to the 3 of you for your answers, especially "mltimes" for the very helpful info. It definitely sounds like it is NOT the right place for me to live, and I have decided to accept a job offer in Portland Oregon instead. My sister and niece moved there two years ago (from Milwaukee) and are "in love" with Portland, since they are outdoorsy (like me) and esp. love cycling -- and they don't mind the "mizzle" since they have invested in lots of warm, water-proof clothing (smart-wool, Gortex, etc). I don't know for sure if it's the right "home" town for me, but I'll be there until next June working as a nanny, so I guess I'll find out!

Anyhoo, I THANK YOU all for taking the time to give me your knowledge & opinions about Penn Valley.

God bless!

Helen :-)

Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Good choice. I'm dying to go to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia