Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,471 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from west Texas to Philadelphia. My husband and I will both be working for Independence NHP. We are looking to rent at least a 3 bedroom. We have three kids (3,5,9) so schools are important. We are looking at public schools. We have 2 cars that we will keep. We have been living the last 2.5 years in a national park with ~200 residents. Before that we lived in Corpus Christi, TX with ~200,000.

We are looking for a reasonable commute, perferably by train. Our kids are lucky enough to have never lived in an apartment, so a house would be great but not necessary. Any thoughts on an area that we should be looking into? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
It really depends on how much you are looking to spend vs how good of schools you want vs how short of a commute. Also what type of demographic do you consider yourself or are comfortable with - way upper, upper, upper middle, middle class...

There's so many choices the more info you can provide the better...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 PM

We are middle class. We will be making ~$80,000 together. Here in Texas that is a good living, but the cost of living seems to be a little higher there. We want an area that has neighborhoods. We are used to hanging outside and chit chatting with neighbors and the kids like to have friends to play with. We are not wanting to spend more than $1400 on rent and that is our high end. We will also be working shift work, so one of us will be working the graveyard shift. (if that effects commuting options)

We are also very active in boyscouts and would like to have a community that offers a scouting program.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
Whew, I think your're in for some culture shock. I just relocated from Philly to Houston...the cost of living difference is HUGE. That said, I think you can find a nice family community with good schools and a train commute. I'd recommend the Media area, but I hear people have trouble finding rentals around there. Great schools, family friendly neighborhoods, and you can take the train from Elwyn.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Collingswood. Don't even think twice about it. The train from Collingswood drops you off 4 blocks from Independence Hall, the trip takes 12 minutes and costs $2.15 . . . it's well within your price range, the schools are good, lots of kids, friendly people, great main street, if you're friendly and outgoing everyone will know your name in 2 months.

You can walk to the train station from most parts of town so you could even get away with one car.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:45 AM

Collingswood was recommended to us by another ranger. It sounds like it will be perfect for us.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Apparently the schools are not on par with neighboring Cherry Hill and Haddonfield. I would look to Media, Swarthmore, (Wallingford, Rose Valley, Nether Providence,) Elwyn, PA as the schools in both districts are top notch and the commute isn't bad.

Springfield, Delaware County schools are also pretty good and it puts you closer to the city on the regional rail line. Of course with the night shift you would probably want to drive in as the trains on the PA side stop at midnight and you would have to take the El(subway) and buses to get home...and even they stop running at a certain hour. NJ transit/PATCO may be better in this regard...

Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,839 times
I just Wanted to tell you that Philadelphia is not the place to relocate. Trust me! I was born in Philadelphia, and alot of people(including me) are relocating. Philadelphia is a mess. The killings, robbings, the drugs, the dirtyness is still going on. If i were you i would be rethinking my move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangermom View Post
We are relocating from west Texas to Philadelphia. My husband and I will both be working for Independence NHP. We are looking to rent at least a 3 bedroom. We have three kids (3,5,9) so schools are important. We are looking at public schools. We have 2 cars that we will keep. We have been living the last 2.5 years in a national park with ~200 residents. Before that we lived in Corpus Christi, TX with ~200,000.

We are looking for a reasonable commute, perferably by train. Our kids are lucky enough to have never lived in an apartment, so a house would be great but not necessary. Any thoughts on an area that we should be looking into? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia