U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
tone, i dont really know what you mean, seeing as I live in center city already.
Carolinajack, what I'm trying to say is that in my personal experience in Philly, those under, say, 40 years old or so, (Generations X and Y) are more likely to be accepting of IR relationships than those older than 40 (Baby Boomers and beyond). Of course, that may vary by neighborhood or even the individual. As a black man, I'm all too familiar with black women of all ages who have been less than thrilled with my dating choices. Then again, I have some closer black female friends who could care less.

I should clarify my point about unions, too. I meant to say that while I support the concept of unions in general, I feel the trade unions have abused their power, especially at the Convention Center where, until recently they cut their "convention business" nose off to spite their "work rules" face. There may well be some underperforming teachers in the School District but my mother was not one of them (not that I thought you were lumping her in with the rest of the teachers' union).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:16 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
tone,

gotcha! my mother was a teacher as well, my grandmother and her mother were, 5 of 7 of my mothers sisters where and one of my sisters is as was I --so i base it on my experience, her experience, and about 10 women in my family who were and are teachers. I dont support the trade unions or any union for that matter, but i dont stop others for their support of them.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 PM

11 posts, read 72,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfist View Post
I may be moving to Philly in the next several months with my fiance and was wondering how the city is for interracial couples. Everything I've read so far about it indicates that the city is very racially divided. Where would be a good place to live (we'll both be at Penn grad school)?
Thanks!
I also go to penn and live in a close delco suburb of philly which is very racially diverse. only the lower class neighborhoods are racially divided. stay away from parts of south philly, all of north philly (except the part they have changed to northern liberties, though it is pricey, and too close to the bad elements for my taste), and parts of the northeast. To be honest you may want to look at Lansdowne (18 minutes from penn, great old victorian homes and very diverse) Media (30 minutes from penn, good schools, and very diverse), or if you have it to spend try the lower merion narberth areas. I would stay out of philly proper, not just for the racially tense enviornment but more so for the crime and headaches of it all

Welcome to Upenn

Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 PM

i will have to give it to philly in one area, IR couples!!

My wife and I go to IKEA in Philadelphia on the weekends and it is like the Interracial Mecca of the USA. I wish the rest of the region was like IKEA, heck I wish the rest of the US was like IKEA.

it is a company committed to diversity in its advertisements and in its practices, just as Benneton was and is. They actually pair asian husband with black wife, or white wife with black husband--while the rest of the liberal business world is afraid to touch it, even though Interracial marriage has been legal since 1967. They are more comfortable promoting gay marriage, which is legal in one state(and not constitutionally so) than they are showing a black and white embrace.

ahh racism, it is always there--they dont even need a flag for their sort of racism, they just practice it everyday adn no one ever questions it.

bravo IKEA

Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM

4,101 posts, read 7,869,465 times
I would stick to CC, University City, and Northern Liberties. People in other areas will act nice and accomodating to your face but they will talk behind your back!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
If you take a walk a couple blocks down Baltimore Avenue from Penn, between Clark Park and Cedar Park, the neighborhood is a nice mix of students, progressive white people (liberals, "activists" of all shades), African immigrants, and African American locals. It's a nice area where gay and interracial couples are not out of place. It's probably the nicest part of West Philly, and a respite between the "student ghetto" closer to the universities and the African American ghettos to the north and west.

Mt. Airy is generally regarded as the integrated white/African American neighborhood in the city. It has a great history of an activist community that decided to take action when other neighborhoods started to "turn." But as people have said, it's a hike from Penn and not transit-accessable at night.

Center City looks a lot more diverse than it is. People from all over the city walk the streets of CC during the day. The Market East corridor and Gallery Mall draw tons of African American shoppers from North and West Philly, but they all go home at the end of the day. Center City is the part of the city where you're most likely to find educated, socially liberal, wealthy immigrants and migrants from other parts of the country. But for the most part it's not a place where a lot of native whites and African Americans live side-by-side. The people who live there are increasingly wealthy and white. Where historic black communities do remain on the fringes of CC, the line between the old timers and the new gentrifiers is stark and not what I would call integration.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 AM

passdoubt,

you are so correct and the people in CC are not very open to black people, even though they have to put up with them coming through it.

Mt airy, Chestnut Hill, West Philly(right where you are talking about) are the most comfortable for IR, stay out of Northeast, Manayunk, South Philly, parts of art museum and North Philly

Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
passdoubt,

you are so correct and the people in CC are not very open to black people, even though they have to put up with them coming through it.
I disagree with the above in the context that the professionals and wealthy people working/living in CC have no prejudice against black people. I see professionals of every race walking, talking, communicating with each other all throughout CC. If you are educated you're not going to have problems assimilating in Center City no matter what the color of your skin is. Its a class issue.

If a typical inner city young african american wearing an oversized white t-shirt and droopy jeans walks into CC well he's not going to be welcomed by anyone.Whites, blacks, asians, arabs, and east indians are going to avoid and ignore this person.

The problem isn't white/black imo . Its urban black youth vs. everyone else.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I disagree with the above in the context that the professionals and wealthy people working/living in CC have no prejudice against black people. I see professionals of every race walking, talking, communicating with each other all throughout CC. If you are educated you're not going to have problems assimilating in Center City no matter what the color of your skin is. Its a class issue.

If a typical inner city young african american wearing an oversized white t-shirt and droopy jeans walks into CC well he's not going to be welcomed by anyone.Whites, blacks, asians, arabs, and east indians are going to avoid and ignore this person.

The problem isn't white/black imo . Its urban black youth vs. everyone else.
I agree with you. I lived and worked in CC for a number of years. Granted, I have been in a handful of encounters where retailers or the average person on the street were uncomfortable with my presence as a black male. Otherwise, most everyone seemed to get along well... with the possible exception of young blacks dressed in urban gear. It's unfortunate in a sense, because one doesn't know if that guy in the oversized white T and baggy jeans is a "B" student or a potential criminal. But unfortunately, enough of the latter have affected society that one makes assumptions by the clothing.

All of that said, I still feel Philly is a decent place for IR relationships. You just have to know where to go, as has been already discussed.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
If you take a walk a couple blocks down Baltimore Avenue from Penn, between Clark Park and Cedar Park, the neighborhood is a nice mix of students, progressive white people (liberals, "activists" of all shades), African immigrants, and African American locals. It's a nice area where gay and interracial couples are not out of place. It's probably the nicest part of West Philly, and a respite between the "student ghetto" closer to the universities and the African American ghettos to the north and west.

Mt. Airy is generally regarded as the integrated white/African American neighborhood in the city. It has a great history of an activist community that decided to take action when other neighborhoods started to "turn." But as people have said, it's a hike from Penn and not transit-accessable at night.

Center City looks a lot more diverse than it is. People from all over the city walk the streets of CC during the day. The Market East corridor and Gallery Mall draw tons of African American shoppers from North and West Philly, but they all go home at the end of the day. Center City is the part of the city where you're most likely to find educated, socially liberal, wealthy immigrants and migrants from other parts of the country. But for the most part it's not a place where a lot of native whites and African Americans live side-by-side. The people who live there are increasingly wealthy and white. Where historic black communities do remain on the fringes of CC, the line between the old timers and the new gentrifiers is stark and not what I would call integration.
Great assessment of University City! I lived there on two occasions and that neighborhood is actually one thing I miss about Philadelphia.

Interesting take on Center City too. Even though I lived downtown for a while, I have to admit I didn't see too many black people around when I went out on weekday nights, let alone in my apartment building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or