U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 PM

58 posts, read 343,328 times

Advertisements

I could not live in a City and restrict myself to one part of town. There is a whole WORLD OUT THERE! I thank God that I was able to travel the world and see things. There are good and bad people in every race. Unfortunately some people, when they have a very bad experience with one particular race, tend to label the whole race...... Which is wrong! Oh well......I would have missed out on so many things in life if I had done that.

I am not sure if I want to move to Philly! At least out in California....the people might be kind of fake but at least most aren't hostile...and IR dating is not a big deal out here. But I think that Los Angeles might be a little like Philly. But in San Diego and San Francisco the I.R. scene is not a big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
yes, SF and SD and San Jose are way awesome in the IR department. travelled and lived all over the world myself too mate and i hate restricting myself as well, thats why it is so hard here in philly.

it is hostile, though the people want to think they are open minded, we still have lots of segregation and it is sad, they push it off on economics, but I constantly hear the most backwards things being said about blacks from whites and whites from blacks

Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 30,935 times
For what it's worth, I would say West Philly isn't too good for IR couples. My wife and I have been called crackers multiple times around here. I'm sure if I had a black wife, I would catch a lot of flak for it from many people in the area.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:42 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyhoosier View Post
For what it's worth, I would say West Philly isn't too good for IR couples. My wife and I have been called crackers multiple times around here. I'm sure if I had a black wife, I would catch a lot of flak for it from many people in the area.
If I may ask, what part of West Philly do you live in? If it's University City or Powelton Village, I'd be a bit surprised. I lived in UC for a few years and, while it's not quite Mt. Airy, I've never personally observed any racial or ethnic animosity. Granted, I know that some of the poorer longtime residents aren't thrilled about the gentrification and diversification creeping westwards... and that their displeasure may occasionally make the evening news.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM

9 posts, read 32,322 times
Unfortunately, I think a lot of what is written here is correct. It is hard to find the explanations for the tension: overt or covert -- but tension does exist.

Philadelphia is a very provincial city -- a large city with a small town vibe -- anything unusual or unknown is -- well -- upsetting. Everything has a place. In New York you could walk the streets in red open toe shoes in a snow storm and no one would care. In Philadelphia, folks would stare, whisper and maybe even ask you WHY and become upset. For some reason, Philadelphia can be a lonely place.

I've dated interracially and caused a sensation in the streets (that was a few years ago, tho'). Maybe things are better. Philadelphia is (IMHO) a very segregated city. I often joke that every White person knows one Black person and every Black person knows at least 50 members of every race. That probably isn't accurate, but it brings home the point.

Confidence and a sense of "who-gives-a-darn" could make Philadelphia an okay place for an interracial couple. My boyfriend and I were constantly happy with each other and we'd often make friends with the worst detractors. But that takes a toll -- of time and energy.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:54 AM

hossier, I lived in UC and West Philly when first moving here and I concurr. UC is just as racially tense, more so around Penn Students(who think they are open and liberal minded but act like they are afraid of people of color--even wealthy people of color). I have been called the N word more times here than all my life growing up in the South. I go to a Cafe or restaurant and people stare at me for just coming in, they move away from me in i sit down---I thought maybe it is my dress, but as an Ivy League grad and professional, i dress in suit and tie daily. maybe its my deorderant or they think my skin will rub off, i dont know.

CC is no better, people are loathed to smile, say excuse me, or acknowledge your presents as an IR couple and sneers happened at least once a week and stares often as well, by black people and by whites. Hispanics and Asians dont do much ignorant behavior in CC and often are the most pleasant to befriend.

You want to know about Philadelphia CC today? Read Nancy French's new book, "How a Catfish Queen Reject. . " Just google her name. she talks about living in CC and how even the most educated of the Philadelphians is provincial and not intelligent to know to keep their opinions to themselves and to not stare. And how racially tense it is.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 15,014 times
Default no interracial couples here on long island!

Soon i will retire. i am a single white women, 57 and seek a black man for a long term relationship. i want to live in a warmer climate that is multicultural, beautiful, and has culture....

any ideas?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 15,014 times
Default interracial dating and cost of living.

i live on long island and will retire soon. i have not given up on finding a sweet black man for myself, but i want to relocate to a warmer climate, friendly, beautiful, that i will be able to afford onmy not so big retirement.

any ideas on great locations for all i see?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 PM

check out:

interracial singles
interracial matcher
interracial match
black and white singles
black people meet

these are great sites for people who are not racist want to meet and date each other, they are clean sites and people are respectful there

Old 10-07-2007, 12:32 AM

119 posts, read 345,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i have lived here for 7 years and while the blacks do more of the agressiveness to us, the whites can be very racist in their own way,
Just deny em jobs and opportunties and watch em become frustrated,angry,violent,sick,etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or