U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 46,823 times

Advertisements

I am from Philly and live in Portland, OR. Philly is great and the area you are going to be in is fine. You won't have any problems. Plus you're going to love Philly. Don't move the Portland trust me on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,018,773 times
I just finished this thread and have no reservations if my husband and I relocate there. We are an IR couple (he - white, me - mexican american) and are researching places to settle down (we currently live in Arizona but do not wish to stay here permanently). Though we have never experienced any problems with whites or latinos, I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts about IR couples in the Philly area. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 PM

253 posts, read 1,037,770 times
Cool Philly definately has a racist vibe but CC is ok for IR couples

I am originally from NYC. I have lived in Rittenhouse Square since I've moved to Philly 3 yrs ago. Although I find Philly to be a racist place I would say that this is CC or UC would be the best places to live here. I barely venture to other parts of town to be honest. The worse thing that happen to us was while my husband & I were walking by to the Reading terminal market some crazy racist white guy screamed to my husband that he was a disgrace for being with me. I say the guy was crazy for to reasons 1) for behaving like that and to behaving like that with my husband. My Husband is a 6'2 big guy with a temper.The type of racism I have encountered here for the most part has been looks and stares from both races although black people tend to be more outwardly agressive in this area. I get the feeling from many white people that I have met here that the because I am black that I should not be able to afford a better lifestyle than them.I have encountered an attitude from white (women) who sometimes feel that because the color of their skin the are somehow superior and should have more than me. This type of behavior although it may be annoying by itself is virtually harmless and fairly easy to ingore.
As far as black people go the in my experience in Philly they run the gammat of being disgusted that my husband is white as if it somehow affects their life to (some women) being impressed like I have achieved greatness by marrying a white man. Both reactions are really said & in my opinion are the results of Philadelphia having a large black population that feels insecure. To me people are just people. I didn't marry my husband because he was some "great white prize" I married him because I love him.
It surprised me how non-progressive of a city Philly is being that it is so close to NY and has some of the best schools in the nation here.
My husband has experienced racism from black men a lot. The feel that they can disregard him because he's white. Occasionally the will staring eying me like the will try to hit on me expecting him to be scared of them because they are black. Even if they are 5'3 130lbs. Its crazy. Once they get the picture that my husband doesn't care about such things they move on. I when we first moved her i had to work a lot harder to get my husband to ignore this foolishness. he is better at it now. He has to remember this is Philly after all. Even Rittenhouse Square is only so safe.

I know this was a long response but i wanted to chime in here. Although you may face some annoying behavior from the natives ignore it and it can be livable. In any event I would stick to CC or UC. Especially since you will be going to Penn.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 PM

22 posts, read 77,015 times
no one will say anything to your face but for many family beliefs thats a No-No.

No offense intented.

If your a stand up couple you will be treated normally, especially in UOP area there are tons of people from all over the USA & worldwide living in that part of philly for school that no one will notice.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,059 times
Grew up in the D.C. area, have lived north of NYC, Harrisburg, Lexington, KY, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Kansas City, and in London, and Northeast Italy. My parents live in Durham, NC where crosses were burned in front oh an AA Southern Baptist Church LAST summer!

As a professor, I am now considering a variety of universities in a number of places. I am likely to choose the University of DE and to live in Philly (need to be on campus 3 days per week). The question of race has come up as I am an AA male whose girlfriend is white.

So, I found this thread, which is quite interesting. My thoughts are as follows: people are people everywhere!!! There is no place on this planet where race is not a consideration. This is so in Stuttgart, Germany, Venice, Italy (where I was denied an apartment and TOLD to my face that it was because of my skin color), London, England (where I witnessed a race riot between Asian immigrant and British youth), L.A., K.C. (you don't want to know), San Diego (segregation along racial lines is quite visible), and Philadelphia. To this end and to an extreme, the FBI statistics (per capita basis) on hate crimes (2006) show that Boston is the greatest offender of all among major American cities. To many this is no surprise. What is interesting is that Bay Area (that's right: WORST in CA) and L.A. (incredibly segregated) are right behind it.

Why would Philadelphia be any different? This is still America. And, we still have issues!!! Having been to Philly on a number of occasions, I can only say that it reminds me (e.g. the stares, visible hostility) a GREAT deal of D.C. and Baltimore just to the south, K.C. to the West, and Oakland, CA. A large proportion of the nation's population has very harbor an ossified perspective on race.

I intend to accept a position at the University of Delaware and to live in CC. Doing so, I accept that there will be some that will be (very) uneasy with my presence and others that will not. That is life. I simply intend to use my common sense to live around like-minded people (relatively progressive, educated, etc.) and to get on with it.

You won't change people. Be smart: find a place in which you can be relatively comfortable and try not to expect TOO much from people. Live your life where and how you see fit. If that is Philly, one can make it work.

Last edited by fenice69; 11-06-2007 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-30-2007, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfist View Post
I may be moving to Philly in the next several months with my fiance and was wondering how the city is for interracial couples. Everything I've read so far about it indicates that the city is very racially divided. Where would be a good place to live (we'll both be at Penn grad school)?
Thanks!
OK - Center City and the University City (UC)area are difinitely your best bets, especially if you are attending Penn. I came here fropm New Zealand, have lived here 17 years. I married a Black woman and live in West Philly not far from the UC area. Its mostly a Black neighborhood that is starting to change a bit with more white & mixed couples seeking affordable housing. Your biggest challenge is likely to be affordable housing unless you're in school for Law / Med etc, unlike me who did social work!

Anyway, racism - America is a racist society period. You will find it everywhere and Philly is no exception. When I first came here I went to school in the suburbs and while dating my wife (then girlfriend) we got plenty of hostile stares or looks of surprise and disbelief. In Philly itself, where I lived the whole time being here, in predominantely African American neighborhoods in SW or W. Philly, we have encountered few problems, and our three kids have experienced very few problems. The biggest peeve for my wife is that because 2/3 of them are almost as fair as me, people ask if she's the nanny, who's kids are those, are those your kids etc., even though they both look like her facially, especially the oldest one.

The fact is that Philadelphia is still a very segregated city and the schools are still under a Federal desegregation order so we have 'bussing'. Still, most schools reflect the racial and class segregation of the neighborhhods.
Center City and UC are two of a handful of Philly neighborhhods that are fairly intergrated. There are some others where, although there are mixed groups but hostile to each other so I don't consider that integrated. Sections in NW Philaladelphia like parts of Mt. Airey, Chestnut Hill etc are OK too but they tend to be more established (and expensive) family homes. So my advice is stick to Cc & UC or the area of West Philly up to about 51st Street in the area between Baltimore Avenbue and Walnut Street and to 49th Street between Baltimore and Woodland Ave. Sorry for the waffle - the legacy of a Penn education!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,556,702 times
i agree. i'm from s. asian descent, grew up in westchester co. (ny), lived in nyc, north, central & s. jersey and finally philly. i'm married (to another s. asian).

race issues are everywhere, especially big cities. this is due to the diversity and the fact that different ethnic groups are often sharing close spaces w/ one another. someone mentioned before that places where you hear about it the least are generally more homogeneous - truth. hell, i saw plenty of race issues while living in nyc. better believe it!

as stated before, you should be absolutely fine in center city (and immediate neighborhoods like NL, QV, BV, etc..). i find to be a very open and diverse place. more than a lot of other big cities i've been to. trust me on that. however, i can't really speak on the rest of PA. i know nothing about it.

good luck!

Last edited by john_starks; 11-30-2007 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
Default racism

I think we have way more then enough inter racial couples here,your better off staying out of philly.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,201,736 times
philly is still segregated and racist yes, but i havent seen any more racism in the suburbs than in downtown philly. I would say it was about the same. I think Chestnut Hill is probably the least racist of the inner ring suburbs, i live downtown and you can cut the racism with a knife--people see us and have to nearly break their necks trying to look the other way or avoid being nice.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 AM

55 posts, read 154,806 times
I know a few interracial couples and am in an interracial relationship myself. From my experiences here, not everywhere is diverse. Actually, if you aren't in the university city/center city area/Mt. Airy area, a lot of Philly is not that diverse.

I feel like the suburbs are more "white", with Philly being more "black". To me, this is the best way to sum it up quickly. I would definitely do some research before you choose a place. Look for crime statistics and diversity statistics by zip code. Parts of South Philly are pretty diverse, too. I'd try to stay away from most of North Philly, West Philly, and Southwest Philly.

Since being here, we have experienced some issues with race. But nothing like when we lived in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or