U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania and south adn central New jersey are in the top 5 areas with the biggest hate crimes and white supremacist groups according to HATE WATCH, part of the Southern Poverty Law Center, check out their website. for a so called progressive northern city it is not all that progressive. i live in CC and people dont necessarily come right up to your face and say anything, although they will and have done it alot, but its not as bad as south, north, northern liberties and northeast philadelphia.

just a few years ago an IR couple had a cross burned in their yard by two white males here in the city, not the burbs.

a really good place to live without any issues is Chestnut Hill, it is so comfortable and the people are really nice, i thought i was in heaven when i moved out there compared to downtown.

and for all the educational institutions here it is a very provincial city, people will actually come up to you and say racist things, they will stare you down and or avoid you altogether. we dont go out after dark much, unless we are in our car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM

also, its funny i grew up in the deep south and texas and never been called the N word more than i have in Philly, actually only had it done once in 20 years in the south , but i cant tell you how many times it has happened here

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM

428 posts, read 712,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i will have to give it to philly in one area, IR couples!!

My wife and I go to IKEA in Philadelphia on the weekends and it is like the Interracial Mecca of the USA. I wish the rest of the region was like IKEA, heck I wish the rest of the US was like IKEA.

it is a company committed to diversity in its advertisements and in its practices, just as Benneton was and is. They actually pair asian husband with black wife, or white wife with black husband--while the rest of the liberal business world is afraid to touch it, even though Interracial marriage has been legal since 1967. They are more comfortable promoting gay marriage, which is legal in one state(and not constitutionally so) than they are showing a black and white embrace.

ahh racism, it is always there--they dont even need a flag for their sort of racism, they just practice it everyday adn no one ever questions it.

bravo IKEA
Isn't it a bit hypocritical to say something racist as the bolded while speaking out against racism?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 13,542 times
Default Same Boat

Hi folks,
I'm coming from California, and in an Inter-racial relationship. Like the original post I'll have been hired by the Hospital of U. Penn and will be moving soon. My other half will be working in Willimington. We will only be here for about 3-4 years and wil be renting. I need to be within 30mins from the hosptial and my wife does not want to drive more than 20mins/day . Does anyone know anyplace between Philly and Willmington that is great for a young profesional couple. We prefer to rent. please share your ideas or you can PM me.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM

1,001 posts, read 2,347,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
also, its funny i grew up in the deep south and texas and never been called the N word more than i have in Philly, actually only had it done once in 20 years in the south , but i cant tell you how many times it has happened here
You seem pretty thin skinned to be in an interracial relationship... no offense intended, just an observation.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 13,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy2009 View Post
Hi folks,
I'm coming from California, and in an Inter-racial relationship. Like the original post I'll have been hired by the Hospital of U. Penn and will be moving soon. My other half will be working in Willimington. We will only be here for about 3-4 years and wil be renting. I need to be within 30mins from the hosptial and my wife does not want to drive more than 20mins/day . Does anyone know anyplace between Philly and Willmington that is great for a young profesional couple. We prefer to rent. please share your ideas or you can PM me.

I'm only asking as someone who lived in CA all my life and not sure if my situation is tolerated in other places. Remember 30-40 years ago this was not allowed in many states and cities. Forgive my anxiety and ignorance.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,906,970 times
Philadelphians are hostile and ignorant in general. I live in Bucks Co and have Autism, and trust me, they're not cool with that either. My best advice is to ignore. People here get upset over anything that isn't a regular part of their shockingly little world, so you better accept that you're not going to find the open mindedness of a Cali/NY/Europe/etc...Oh, and being somewhat big and mean-looking isn't too bad either, since many of them are b**ches as well....

CarolinaJack: I'm sorry about your experiences, I'm mixed race and I could tell you things you'd vomit over. Maybe you should move back south or out cali way?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
You seem pretty thin skinned to be in an interracial relationship... no offense intended, just an observation.
I dont understand your statement. what is thin skinned about talking about racist experiences one has had in philly?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 14,888 times
I am new to Philadelphia and for that reason some may disregard my observations. But, I'm going to put them out there anyway. I live in West Philadelphia - walking distance from, but not directly adjacent to Penn. I think that for interracial relationships (of all types) this is a comfortable - although not ideal - place to live. Most who live in my neighborhood are what I consider to be 21st century hippies and as such they have a very liberal outlook on race relations. Since you asked for places to live - if you're a Black/White interracial couple - I'm not sure that I would recommend CC. Yes, it's a relatively diverse place to walk around during the day, but it only takes a quick glance at census data to see that it has very small Black residential population. I'm not sure that it would feel like "home" for the Black person in your couple. If you are an Asian/White or Asian/Black interracial couple - I would be interested to read where others would recommend that you live. I have seen shockingly few Asian interracial relationships and would have no idea where you could live (aside from maybe Mt. Airy or the W. Philly neighborhood near Clark Park) that you would not be in the minority.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM

CC while it is safer than the other parts of the city, still has many bigoted people who are uncomfortable with IR couples and with blacks in general. i live in CC but moving out to Chestnut Hill where it is very comfortable area to live. Asian/white IR couples many in Chestnut Hill, friends of ours and doing well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or