Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 18,947 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Philly in the next several months with my fiance and was wondering how the city is for interracial couples. Everything I've read so far about it indicates that the city is very racially divided. Where would be a good place to live (we'll both be at Penn grad school)?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Dude this is absurd question. Its philly not Alabama. You'll be fine and nobody cares. Philly is actually divided more along economic lines then racial. Seriousily you'll be fine and don't worry about it...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
University City where Penn is located is probably the most diverse section of the entire metro area.

I'd like to think the city is divided by class, not race. On campus and downtown you'll see every race interspersed with each other, its a pretty mellow laid back city in the educated parts of town. The problems stem from the distrust between the inner city citizens and those of higher means and vice versa. There is a huge disconnect there.

You won't have any problems in University City or Center City.

Last edited by rainrock; 02-22-2007 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,947 times
Thanks. I figured it wouldnt be anything drastic but had never been to Philly so wanted to get some insight. Much appreciated!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Besides University City and Center City (including Queen Village) another place to check out is West Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill. Unfortunately and sadly, there are still areas of the City where you would not be welcome.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
You'll be fine friend. My wife and I are interracial couple and we live in Center City Philly. It is nice and pretty ok, but you have to watch out--people are not very warm and you may get some cold shoulders(liberalism here is not really practiced as preached. If you are a white male, black men may stare at you and give you dirty looks and if you are black male the black women may do the same. The whites by and large ignore the blacks, but I am sure if you are a white male you will make friends easily.

This isnt Alabama, but the segregation outside of Center City, University City and Mt Airy Chestnut Hill is like Alabama. Large ghettos, large working class white neighborhoods that feel uncomfortable if you wander into them.

I suggest looking at renting in Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy(which is IR mecca around here), University City where Penn is(hey another Ivy Leaguer woohoo) and Center City. Washington Sq West is a good community for grad students, young couples and med students.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I concur with the others about the neighborhoods mentioned. However, if you're planning to burn the midnight oil on campus as many grad students do,
Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy will seem like a long commute at night by car. And the trains that go there stop running around 11 or 12.

As a black guy who dates the entire rainbow, I can attest to getting negative vibes from black women when I am seen with someone else. I can't speak for white guys... but up there, I've see them coupled up with Asian females more than anyone else, for what it's worth.

And I agree with Carolinajack that despite the long-running Democratic political machine, the city as a whole is not that progressive. Many are Democrats because they support the strong union presence. Other than that, I think many local Democrats outside of the areas discussed are actually social conservatives.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:00 PM

yes, i think they are democrats only for the graft of the unions like the teachers and others, and the politicians are so corrupt.

I lived in CH and worked downtown and that was hard late at night but I am crazy about CH--the best thing about Philly.

but as a black american male, IR dating can be found here, though it can be iffy. many of the whites are not comfortable around blacks and the women will cross the street to afford a black person--partly because of the crime, but they do it also out of racial ignorance( even if you are a professional dressed well).
I have been called the N word by whites so its not any better than Alabama at times, but at the same time it can be nice at other times.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:21 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
yes, i think they are democrats only for the graft of the unions like the teachers and others, and the politicians are so corrupt.

I lived in CH and worked downtown and that was hard late at night but I am crazy about CH--the best thing about Philly.

but as a black american male, IR dating can be found here, though it can be iffy. many of the whites are not comfortable around blacks and the women will cross the street to afford a black person--partly because of the crime, but they do it also out of racial ignorance( even if you are a professional dressed well).
I have been called the N word by whites so its not any better than Alabama at times, but at the same time it can be nice at other times.
I should have been more specific about which unions as my mother is a retired schoolteacher. I support labor unions in general but those here in Philly have historically abused their power and are only now starting to be checked, Bob Brady's ascension notwithstanding.

But back to the topic...

Like in many places, those of Generation X and Y heritage are likely to be more accepting of IR relationships. I think Baby Boomers and beyond are somewhat more likely to have a problem with it. Overall, you can do worse than Philly for this topic... just make sure you're in the "right" neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 PM

tone, i dont really know what you mean, seeing as I live in center city already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia