U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:08 PM

184 posts, read 691,225 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're contemplating a move from DC area to the Philly suburbs. I have family in PA and have spent some time in Philly but don't know the suburbs.

Are all the Main Line towns more or less the same, sort of blurring into each other, or do they have different identities? Are any of them known for having more shopping, density, etc? We're looking for something family-friendly with a walkable "town" atmosphere. Ideally I'd like an older home and the ability to walk to a coffee shop and grocery store and be near the train. Ethnic diversity is a plus. Where should I look? Our max is $800k, but we are hoping to spend less.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspringer View Post
Hi,

We're contemplating a move from DC area to the Philly suburbs. I have family in PA and have spent some time in Philly but don't know the suburbs.

Are all the Main Line towns more or less the same, sort of blurring into each other, or do they have different identities? Are any of them known for having more shopping, density, etc? We're looking for something family-friendly with a walkable "town" atmosphere. Ideally I'd like an older home and the ability to walk to a coffee shop and grocery store and be near the train. Ethnic diversity is a plus. Where should I look? Our max is $800k, but we are hoping to spend less.

Thanks!

I think Narberth would be a good place to look.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:46 PM

179 posts, read 992,123 times
a really nice spot is right dead center, Wayne, great town center, excellent schools, prices range from 500-1m depending on the size of the home. Narbeth is nice but it is on the far end of the main line towards the city, probably a little more diverse than any other part of the main line.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,773,912 times
Bryn Mawr,Rosemont and Haverford for me. Love the character and housing stock of those towns. Radnor is just ourageous but its a bit more suburban in nature. If you want to see an awesome area check out the Gladwyne + Villanova areas.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:43 AM

184 posts, read 691,225 times
Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice.

Is there any difference in the quality of the schools in the Radnor district vs. Lower Merion vs. ????. Are they all pretty good or is there one you'd focus on? The kids are elementary-school aged, so that's what's most important, but we're hoping to settle for the long-term.

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:13 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,773,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspringer View Post
Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice.

Is there any difference in the quality of the schools in the Radnor district vs. Lower Merion vs. ????. Are they all pretty good or is there one you'd focus on? The kids are elementary-school aged, so that's what's most important, but we're hoping to settle for the long-term.

Thanks.
Not much, they are both very good school districts.

Lower Merion Township overall is a bit more diverse economically. Radnor Township has very little diversity, its solid upper class/ filthy rich if that has any bearing in your decision making.

If you haven't checked out these sites concerning schools you should. They can be of great help.

http://www.greatschools.net

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindexphp/STATE_PA.html

Gladwyne which is a section in Lower Merion Township is very highly regarded. I believe it has the wealthiest zip code in the Philadlephia area. That would be my start for an elementary school and as a place to live, but it is expensive.

Haverford Township. Rosemont,Penn Valley,Merion, Bryn Mawr in Lower Merion Township. Radnor Township you really can't go wrong in elementary school selections..

Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 44,748 times
Narberth is great, very different from the rest of the Main Line b/c there is a cute town w/ sidewalks you can walk to. Very "Americana". I live in Bala Cynwyd and am about 1 mi from Narberth. I also like the area b/c I can get to center city in 15 min. Since center city has so many great places to eat and things to do I love being so close. The schools are amazing. Bala has a very large Jewish population, including orthodox b/c of proximity to places of worship. Narberth is more mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia