U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,675 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NC and have lived in the South always. (29 sbf) I am looking to relocate to a Northern city within 3 months. I must admit that I am almost TOTALLY FEARFUL to move up north. I know that its much much faster, which im not used to, but it is the cost of living that scares me most and Im afraid I may not be able to afford it. I guess the bottom line is: I dont want to have to work two jobs just to afford to stay in a safe place and not have any time to do auditions or make moves to accomplish my dream of performing. Despite that, I do believe that Jazz and the musical theatre scene is so much more respected up there. I have done alot of city theatre here and other jazz performances, but it just doesnt seem to be enough for me. I have arrived at the crossroad: at 29, either I am going to give up on this dream or I am going to fight through all discomforts to achieve it. I've chosen to fight the discomforts. After all I have been miserable here in NC and Im tired of being casted for every musical that I have auditioned for, but never getting a lead role, because the leading roles, are never traditionaly played by African Americans. Could someone please shed some light on the theatre scene in philly. I've visited philly briefly about 5 years ago and I didn't have the perception of feeling unsafe, or overcrowded. I've done some research on cost of living and I dont think that it is quite as expensive as new york. Please Please Please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaonline View Post
I currently live in NC and have lived in the South always. (29 sbf) I am looking to relocate to a Northern city within 3 months. I must admit that I am almost TOTALLY FEARFUL to move up north. I know that its much much faster, which im not used to, but it is the cost of living that scares me most and Im afraid I may not be able to afford it. I guess the bottom line is: I dont want to have to work two jobs just to afford to stay in a safe place and not have any time to do auditions or make moves to accomplish my dream of performing. Despite that, I do believe that Jazz and the musical theatre scene is so much more respected up there. I have done alot of city theatre here and other jazz performances, but it just doesnt seem to be enough for me. I have arrived at the crossroad: at 29, either I am going to give up on this dream or I am going to fight through all discomforts to achieve it. I've chosen to fight the discomforts. After all I have been miserable here in NC and Im tired of being casted for every musical that I have auditioned for, but never getting a lead role, because the leading roles, are never traditionaly played by African Americans. Could someone please shed some light on the theatre scene in philly. I've visited philly briefly about 5 years ago and I didn't have the perception of feeling unsafe, or overcrowded. I've done some research on cost of living and I dont think that it is quite as expensive as new york. Please Please Please advise!
As someone who considers changing careers from time to time, I say go for it. At the very least, you could say that you followed your dream to the limit while living in an exciting "big city". At most, you just might become the next great stage sensation.

Unless perhaps you live in the area of the Research Triangle or Charlotte, Philly will definitely be more fast-paced and expensive than you are used to. The upshot is that your pay is likely to be higher as well and will cover your bills relatively well compared to other Northeastern cities like New York, Boston and DC. I wasn't a regular patron but to me it seemed like the Philly theater scene is definitely thriving, if the number of performance spaces is a good indicator.

I googled "Philadelphia Theater" and found the Theater Alliance of Greater Philadelphia ( www.theateralliance.org ) and saw that they had a link to local auditions. (41 at the time I looked.) That might be a good place to start. The best of luck to you!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM

19 posts, read 103,401 times
I have lived in the Philly area (or general area) for about twenty years.
My family is from the South and, as a "pinky" I have many more Black friends here, than I did before I moved to the area. Since my wife and I are involved in the arts, we are always amazed at the amount of Jazz, Classical, Folk and other musical forms that thrive in the area.

Philly is looked down upon by many of those who think that New York is the ONLY place to be. The best thing about Philly is that you aren't far from NYC OR Washington D.C. My favorite Jazz pianist, McCoy Tyner (pianist for Coltrane) could live anywhere and he still lives here in Philly!! I think that people in Philly gernerally appreciate creativity, no matter what race or culture is involved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or