Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 13,690 times

Advertisements

I am using the sticky/guide to ask for insights about about the area.

We are a couple in their 30s with a little dog looking for suggestions on where to live, apartment complexes, taxes in the area, restaurants to go, things to see, etc
And since I am pregnant I would also appreciate inputs on good and friendly OBGyns and Hospital for delivery.

Here is what we know so far: Philly is big and we do not like to commute more than 15-20min.

- When are you moving? JANUARY
- Where are you coming from? CHARLOTTE, NC
- Why are you moving? WORK TRANSFER
- Where will you be working? Right NEXT TO KING OF PRUSSIA MALL
- Have you been here yet? ONE TIME FOR THE WEEKEND (IF THAT COUNTS)
- Will you buy or rent? RENT FOR A YEAR, THEN BUY
- Looking for an 2 BEDROOM apartment OR a townhouse that is DOG - FRIENDLY . Apartment Budget= $1100
- Married + A bun in the oven (NO SCHOOL PREFERENCE AT THIS POINT)
What do you want to be closest to?
- Work --> CHECK
- Shopping --> CHECK
- Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)--> CHECK
- Nightlife --> NOT REALLY
- Some Restaurants--> CHECK
- Hospital or primary care --> CHECK
- Train or subway stations --> not necessarily
- Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No preference, but diverse would be better.
- Coke or Pepsi? No soda for the preggo lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,592 times
King of Prussia should fit your criteria. Maybe not quite within that budget though, not sure about what the market is like there. Taxes in Upper Merion (the Township where KoP is located) are relatively low due to the mall. Lower Merion has more quaint small towns and is a bit more affluent in parts. The KoP area is more modern suburbia, probably more similar to Charlotte for you.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,039 times
Check out Conshohocken, East/West Norriton, Jeffersonville, Blue Bell

Conshohocken is great for younger people who want a small walkable business district with bars and restaurants...

For hospitals, Bryn Mawr has a Neonatal ICU which is usually a good idea just in case...also Paoli hospital and Lankenau get good reviews.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,442 times
Actually I'd avoid East/West Norriton or Jeffersonville because they are in Norristown school district which is not good. Even if you think you'll move before your bun is in school, schools are important for resale. I'd look at Upper Merion, Wayne, Valley Forge, Collegeville, Devon, and Upper Providence. Methacton is the best school district on the west side of the mall, off the mainline. There are some nice townhouse developments that usually have rentals available in Audubon. Part of Audubon is in Norristown schools and part is in Methacton.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 AM

96 posts, read 360,460 times
Just to clarify a prior post: All of the hospitals mentioned have NICUs. Lankenau and Bryn Mawr are Level III; Paoli Memorial is "only" a Level II.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Actually I'd avoid East/West Norriton or Jeffersonville because they are in Norristown school district which is not good. Even if you think you'll move before your bun is in school, schools are important for resale. I'd look at Upper Merion, Wayne, Valley Forge, Collegeville, Devon, and Upper Providence. Methacton is the best school district on the west side of the mall, off the mainline. There are some nice townhouse developments that usually have rentals available in Audubon. Part of Audubon is in Norristown schools and part is in Methacton.
They are RENTING and not interested in schools at this point, just the cost of the rent...

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,311,639 times
A good OBGYN practice is Penn Medical at Radnor. (Womens Health) I used them when I was pregnant with my twins.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM

96 posts, read 360,460 times
Twinmma, can I ask where you actually delivered and if you were happy with that hospital experience?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the hospital/doctor and location suggestions. Since I am still pregnant and we are just renting, school districs are NOT an issue at all. We just want to find an apartment that is dog and family friend at this point. Our budget is limited because we have a house on the market in another state. If you have **rented** in the area and could give a review of the place, that would be terrific. We do not want to get stuck in the wrong place for a year! I've check some apt reviews online and they mostly consist on bad experiences, maybe happy costumers wouldn't bother writting...

Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
Twinmma, can I ask where you actually delivered and if you were happy with that hospital experience?
May I also ask where you actually delivered and if you were happy with that hospital experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia