Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-27-2008, 06:55 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,547 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My family and I are considering taking a weekend trip to Philadelphia in December. Now, I already know that I will visit The National Constitution Musuem, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Fairmount Park and the Reading Terminal, but is there anything else that I should check out? Any resturant reccomendations? Good places to try a Philly Cheesesteak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1981 View Post
My family and I are considering taking a weekend trip to Philadelphia in December. Now, I already know that I will visit The National Constitution Musuem, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Fairmount Park and the Reading Terminal, but is there anything else that I should check out? Any resturant reccomendations? Good places to try a Philly Cheesesteak?
On Sunday you can get in to the Art Museum on a "pay what you want" plan. If you see all those things in a weekend that is a lot. Skip Fairmount Park it is just trees, nothing special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 12:08 PM
 
939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1981 View Post
My family and I are considering taking a weekend trip to Philadelphia in December. Now, I already know that I will visit The National Constitution Musuem, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Fairmount Park and the Reading Terminal, but is there anything else that I should check out? Any resturant reccomendations? Good places to try a Philly Cheesesteak?
Tony Lukes has great cheesesteaks. Don't forget the Philadelphia Zoo and the Franklin Institute. And if your into weird medical stuff check out Mütter Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Reputation: 458
Elfreth's Alley, Betsy Ross's House, Ben Franklin penny statue and his grave, Christ Church, Franklin Institute, the US mint

Elfreth's Alley

Rick's Prince of Steaks in Reading Terminal Market (or most anything there), Jim's Steaks South Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
 
939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Elfreth's Alley, Betsy Ross's House, Ben Franklin penny statue and his grave, Christ Church, Franklin Institute, the US mint

Elfreth's Alley

Rick's Prince of Steaks in Reading Terminal Market (or most anything there), Jim's Steaks South Street
I forgot about Elfreth's Alley. Great suggestion.

Ricks closed down. Reading Terminal wouldn't renew their lease.

cbs3.com - Rick's Steaks At Reading Terminal Closes Today (http://cbs3.com/local/rick.olivieri.ricks.2.738233.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 AM
 
Location: DC
3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Reputation: 1360
When we had visitors come we took them on a horse-drawn carriage ride around Old City. The driver gives you a little tour and background while you ride around (covered in large blankets). A little pricey, but it can be a nice way to see the historical sites. It would also be faster than walking to them yourself.

I second Tony Luke's for the cheesesteak (or their pork sandwich....I really miss those...), or Steaks on South on South Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
When we had visitors come we took them on a horse-drawn carriage ride around Old City. The driver gives you a little tour and background while you ride around (covered in large blankets). A little pricey, but it can be a nice way to see the historical sites. It would also be faster than walking to them yourself.

I second Tony Luke's for the cheesesteak (or their pork sandwich....I really miss those...), or Steaks on South on South Street.
For that matter take the trolly or double decker bus tour if you want to spend the money. I think it's about 25.00 for an all day ticket. It will take you to all the sights and you won't miss anything. You can get off and get on where and whenever you wish. Pick up at the Reading Terminal Market behind Marriott hotel or the visiter center at 6th and Market. (also stops at many of the hotels)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top