U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM

27 posts, read 97,205 times

Advertisements

[quote=Dave M.;2508014]I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The best barometer of a good school district is high test scores on standardized tests. You want your kid to be in a school with a lot of high achievers, not slackers and delinquents. ]

Dave,

You have to be very careful in choosing a school district solely on test scores. With two kids in schools, I have to say I'm rather tired of them focusing so darned much on teaching the kids how to take the tests rather than on how to be good thinkers. IMO, this testing mania has done a real disservice to our kids. For example, when a family in the Garnet Valley schools were looking to start up a gifted and talented charter school, I knew it would be doomed from the start. Though there is a real need for the public schools to address gifted issues, beyond the lip service they currently provide, there was no way the middle and high schools would have allowed the brain drain from their test scores upon which they are judged.

We did select RoseTree/Media schools when we moved here 4 years ago. One thing that does drag their scores down is that the district has become rather well known for being able to deal with kids who have learning disabilities. People flock to this district after their kids are diagnosed. The school wide testing under No Child Left Behind does not allow a district to eliminate the test scores of the disabled, even those with very low IQs that have nothing to do with teaching. It's really a very complicated subject, and choosing a good school district certainly is not as black and white as test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Good post multitasker.
The Inquirer last week had an article on standerized testing which was an excellent read. And once again not to come down on Dave and Unionville-Chads Ford too much but its not the superior school district he is making it out to be.

Here were the Inquirer rankings based on the best 11th grade reading and math standardized scores.In order

Great Valley
Lower Moreland
Tredyffrin-Eastown
Central Bucks
Abington
Radnor
Upper Dublin
Lower Merion
Unionville- Chadds Ford

Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Glad to hear that my alma mater Abington is still representin'!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
Meida is very walkable as long as you live within the borough. THere is a train station within walking distance and a trolley line that will take you to 69th street station...and to the springfield mall.
We moved here a year ago and new nothing about Media but really like. My children are in school here and we are very happy with it. Plus it does get very good ratings from my research. My husband and I share a car, but have no need for a second. It's easy to walk every where. THere is a decent enough bar seen. Not like downtown, but always some where to go out and get a drink and chat, from crappy bars with cheap beer to more 'posh' establishments. Quite a few good restaruants within walking distance and easy enough to take a train to the city for something different. We really like it here. Has that small town feel, but still a sense of annonimity (sp?). We love how easy it is to get around with out a car, proximity to the city and very safe, with a decent mix of people. I've also found it very easy to meet people and make friends.

Wayne seems nice too, but the few times Ive been there it seemed like a very long main street that wasn't that easy to walk. And not many people out on a saturday afternoon. There are alway people out walking around here and lots of street fairs and things to do in the summer!
I would deffinately reccomend it!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
You can't lose with Media. The district is good. Yes, the area may have past its prime, but it's certainly a pleasant area to live in still. You can get a lot for your range.

Maybe you could even consider Wayne, but you are farther away from the city, have some of your own grand restaurants in the area, and probably a snob factor as high as Radnor and Merion, haha. All desirable districts as well, desirable for you may be a different story.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 PM

15 posts, read 36,172 times
Now Media is nice!! I was thinking about moving there.It looks pretty in the winter too.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 20,077 times
Is Media a good place to live if you are unable to drive? I mean, is it walkable and does it have decent public transit? TIA

Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
It helps if you can find a place near the #101 light rail trolley or near the Media train station. Downtown Media itself - where you also can catch the 101 - is rather walkable although I'm not aware of what housing options are nearby.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 20,077 times
I have applied to a job out there (among a million others and various other locations). I cannot drive, so transportation is key. The town looks like a nice place though. Thanks for the info. I will look more into it once I hear back from the job (if it's good news, of course!).

Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times
I don't know too much about about Media except that among people who post on message boards .....it is very, very popular and often recomended......along with Manayunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or