U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM
HDA HDA started this thread

8 posts, read 30,389 times

Advertisements

Hi. We took an initial re-lo recon trip this weekend to the Philly area - looked at houses in Delaware County and Chester County. Its difficult to tell in winter the look and 'feel' of a town... but we're looking for a nice place to raise a family - elem aged kids - that is also nice for shopping, walking, dining, etc... and looking to stay longterm, too... Delaware County was nice in that it was closer to the airport for traveling husband ... and also closer commute to center city philly office... if you were to come in and PICK a place to live, please tell me where it would be! Price range - 800-1MMish... just want a nice place to live... safe, but family oriented with nice people and great shopping , great schools... and nice neighborhoods... AND CAN YOU TELL ME SPECIFICALLY ABOUT MEDIA, while your at it?? Sorry for the multi-request thread. I'm new at this - but thanks for ANY help. We need DIRECTION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Given your price range a realtor would try to sell you on the "mainline" towns which run along RT 30 through Montgomery, Delaware and Chester Counties. This is the most prestigious area of the region. Great schools, the neighborhoods have incredible character,though the people tend to be a bit snobbish.

If I had a choice of an area to go look for a house this area would be it. I'd go to Gladwyne, Villanova,Radnor,Penn Valley, Bryn Mawr,Haverford,Rosemont.

Now to Media. You should note that the general area looks 100% better come April/May when things start blooming. Its a really beautiful part of the country except for the winter months, Yuck!

Not sure what parts of Media you saw but the town itself is one of the nicer kept small towns in the area. Its the county seat of Delaware County. It has a couple dozen bars and restaurants along a modest walkable downtown. There is a mall a mile to the west(Granite Run) There is a mall a mile to the East(Springfield) The great thing about Media is the surrounding area. To the south- Swarthmore, Rose Valley, Nether Providence have Main Line qualities but at a cheaper price and closer to center city.A mile to the north is Springton Lake and Ridley Creek State Park great wilderness area 10 miles from center city Philly.

If you want the buzz factor and hipness quotient then the Main Line is the place to be. If you want a more laid back area with more open space,better house bargains, and more down to earth people the Media area is fantastic. I would look into the Springton Lake area(Upper Providence) which is a couple miles north of Media. Rose Valley,Swarthmore, Rosetree, Edgmont, Newtown Square are also very nice areas.

Good luck.

Last edited by rainrock; 02-26-2007 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Rainrrock gave you a great breakdown. Personally, other than the Bryn Mawr Theatre and a couple of restaurants, I don't care for the Main Line. Lanncaster Ave is jammed, and the place is snob city, IMO. I would much prefer Media, where you can purchase an architecturally beautiful house for your price range. I live in Wallingford (the down side, that is), but there are a few gorgeous homes for sale right now (two right on Ridley Creek itself for about a million). The school district is excellent.

Rose Tree and Springton lake are also very upscale and part of the Media School District. My friend, who is an attorney, lives in the Springton section in a very nice, large stone and cedar home, beautifully built. Upscale women's shopping can be found at Tancredi's right in the heart of Media, and there is a Talbot's on 320 right next-door in Springfield. Also, in Upper Providence (Media), there is a 5-minute, back-road jaunt to the Broomall Shopping Center for a wide variety of shopping. For Local theatre, Media has a refurbished musical theatre, and down the road n Swarthmore is the interesting Hedgerow, the oldest repartory theatre in the country.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
Media is one of the nicest towns in the burbs.

I don't know about the "hipness factor" comparison between the Main Line and Media. The Main Line is wealthier, but I wouldn't say it's hipper. The Main Line always seems really pretty quiet.

I've worked in both Media and Ardmore and thought that all the lawyers and county government employees gave Media a "hipper" vibe than the old-money types in Ardmore.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:41 PM

Hipness may have been the wrong choice of words, I probably should have just stuck with snobbish

I love those houses along Ridley Creek Road right by the back entrance to the biking trails. If you guys ever get the chance check out the houses off of Providence road, make a right across from Mary Magdalen elementary and that development goes all the way back and eventually overlooks the Lake. Awesome neighborhood(Upper Providence)

I agree Media/Nether Providence/Swarthmore/Rose Valley/Upper Providence is almost as nice as the main line with alot less attitude.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 41,533 times
Default West Chester

If you're looking for a quality town that is walkable, lively, and with a lot to do, I'd say West Chester is pretty much the best you can do for the Western Philly suburbs. There is a great restaurant scene, and the borough is very walkable and safe. There is a college located here, so there is a youthful and dynamic population.

West Chester is kindof like Media except about 10 years ahead in terms of redevelopment.

www.west-chester.com

Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcp1250 View Post

West Chester is kindof like Media except about 10 years ahead in terms of redevelopment.

www.west-chester.com
Well perhaps that's true. Media is also smaller than West Chester, but I would submit that anyone interested in a true community-aspired town, take a close look at Media. Check out this FAIR TRADE announcement, the first of its kind in the country: http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...ticle_1061.cfm
A very cool place indeed. I've been there. Also, Media is experiencing an upscale growth in its restaurants and shops as well. I've been spending a lot of time there lately. Lots of great shopping, and the new Shereepunjab Indian Restaurant is to die for.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 AM

47 posts, read 184,718 times
I lived in Merion (Mainline) and worked with attorneys in Media; both are nice however from an investment school perspective I wouldn't live anywhere but Lower Merion. We (just moved to San Antonio on 02/28) loved our neighborhood, neighbors, schools, proximity to town/airport amont many other things. We enjoyed not having all of the large chains right in our backyard, nature trails, blue ribbons schools and small town feel.

By the way we sold our home ourselves and the person buying our home didn't have a realtor. What a hot market; house sold in 1.5 weeks with no advertising. We put a few signs out in the neighborhood and had 2 open houses. Our neighborhood was in the 19066 zip code and we were a block from the General Wayne Park. The homes in that area would suit your needs.

Let me know if you don't have a good realtor; our best friends were realtors (they advised us to sell ourselves!).

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
I lived in Merion (Mainline) and worked with attorneys in Media; both are nice however from an investment school perspective I wouldn't live anywhere but Lower Merion.
Whoa hold on here now, lets not get carried away.

Arguably the Media area home values are at or above Merion.

Upper Providence(Springton Lake),Rose Valley,Swarthmore easily compare if not exceed the Merion area.

Its strange how in a different thread you said you have never have heard mainliner think of themselves as snobbish, and then you go ahead and make a statement like the one above. Thats exactly the midset of the mainliner. .

Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 AM

47 posts, read 184,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Whoa hold on here now, lets not get carried away.

Arguably the Media area home values are at or above Merion.

Upper Providence(Springton Lake),Rose Valley,Swarthmore easily compare if not exceed the Merion area.

Its strange how in a different thread you said you have never have heard mainliner think of themselves as snobbish, and then you go ahead and make a statement like the one above. Thats exactly the midset of the mainliner. .
I hate emails/posting at times as one can read so much more in a posting and take things so personally. I'm not trying to make personal attacks, perhaps I'm misinformed perhaps others are sensitive? Who knows. All I know is when I moved to the area and met with 2 different real estate companies and checked the local Philadelphia magazine they each pointed me in the Lower Merion direction for both investment and education. Additionally, the original post was asking us to give our opinions...

If you search this very website under city information and check Media, the median house value is $138,500 (year 2000) and Median household income: $42,703 (year 2000). For Ardmore the values are Median household income: $60,966 (year 2000) & Median house value: $156,600 (year 2000). Radnor values are Median household income: $74,272 (year 2000) & Median house value: $326,500 (year 2000). Swarthmore values are Median household income: $82,653 (year 2000) & Median house value: $258,000 (year 2000). Wayne/Merion/Bala Cynwyd, Gladwyne were not listed or I would have included them. Looks like there is wealth everywhere...

When I asked my realtor the best place to live, Montgomery County, Delaware County, etc. he basically told me that it's wherever the right house for you is. I'm not knocking someone's neighborhood...just touting my old one. Loved it there, made good money off the sale and found the Lower Merion School District consistently mentioned as a top school district in the area. Just trying to give info on what I did know.

Actually what I said was that I never felt as if I lived amongst snobs; not that I have never heard people on the Mainline think of themselves as snobs.

You yourself wrote in your prior post:
I agree Media/Nether Providence/Swarthmore/Rose Valley/Upper Providence is almost as nice as the main line with alot less attitude.

So now all of the sudden it (Media/Nether Providence/Swarthmore/Rose Valley/Upper Providence) easily compares if not exceeds the Mainline area?

Why can't we all just get along?

Good luck on your search HDA...sounds like there is alot of pride in all the places mentioned. I wish you the best.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or