U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:53 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,203,223 times

Advertisements

downtown is great for kids in Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:49 PM

35 posts, read 24,381 times
Um mos defm Phila. not doubt. it may be father away but the history and land marks are amazing. But then again you are closer to your family. But I live in philly and my family lives up in boston, and I wouldnt trade phila to move closer to them its just a great city.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
I would side with Chicago for the family aspect. We have family spread out all over the country and as our parents age, I've come to realize how much nicer it would be to be within an hours drive instead of a flight away. You can always visit Philadelphia and perhaps even do a house swap for a season.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
PUB

25 posts, read 101,685 times
My girlfriend is from Chicago and I spent a fair amount of time in Philadelphia. I think you'd have a hard time going wrong with either city. We are now in DC and joke that we are both 2 hours away from home. For me its via car her via plane.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,366 times
Default I'm from Philly, live in Chicago!

Hi there, I think I am a good resource for you, as I've lived in both! Some background on me, I am a 31 year old woman, soon to be married (in 5 weeks!) and do not plan on parenthood.
I would definitely recommend Chicago for you. I love Philly and it is my hometown, but public transit in Chicago is MUCH easier and cheaper. I sold my car recently as I don't need it here. But in Philly, I would DEFINITELY need a car. As you are in your 50s, I assume you're not one to be out partying every night or want to live in a noisy area. That said, Chicago has more laid back, quieter, almost suburban neighborhoods right in the city that are still very accessible to public transit. Philly does not offer that for the most part. I also find the rent to be more affordable in Chicago.
I don't know about the smoking thing because I don't smoke, so I don't pay attention to the smoking laws.
If you need any more tips, email me! cher24@hotmail.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justine View Post
Hi we are a 50ish couple, currently live in Detroit and would like to move to a more vibrant city with good public transit. My husband is a painter (artist) and I am a community college teacher and freelance writer. Our home is paid for and easy to sell. We live in one of the few up and coming areas of Detroit. We'd like to live in a city with walkable areas, convenient to public transit. We'd like to have just one car and use it occasionally. We are open to city or close in suburbs with some density. We'd like to initially rent an apartment and then buy either a townhouse or condo or two family flat (and we could rent out the other flat). We have one cat.

The advantage of Chicago for us is that it is close to Detroit to visit our family by Megabus or a drive. Philly would require that we fly. My husband also has allergies to pollen and I keep reading that certain places are the "allergy capital of the world". Also, we both like to go out to clubs and go dancing but we don't like to breathe cigarette smoke so we'd like to live in a place that has banned smoking in public places.

Our criteria:

walkable, reasonably safe city
good public transit
homes affordable for middle class
job opportunities, solid economy
good market for artists

thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM

71 posts, read 221,481 times
I'm originally a Philly native, now in south Jersey.

Philly is a hard town to research online. Statistics are very skewed and usually highlight the negative areas. Like any major US city, it has great sections and sections with major urban crime issues crime. My advice is to get a good real estate agent (there may be some on this board) and let them know your criteria. they can narrow it to areas that meet your needs (safe, walkable, by transit, etc).

I also agree with a previous post... looking in NJ along the PATCO high speed line is an alternative. It's safe and a very easy commute into Philly. Collingswood, Westmont, Haddon Township, Haddonfield, etc offer historic areas with lots of charm.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or