Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,183,723 times

Advertisements

POD is overpriced as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 PM

160 posts, read 800,187 times
yes, but the food is good, as is the total experience

Old 12-22-2008, 05:38 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,183,723 times
I thought it was wholly overrated.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,298,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb842 View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned Cheltenham Township in Montgomery County. Referred to by many of my asian friends as "Little Korea" there are MANY asian-owned shops and restaurants along 5th street. On Cheltenham Avenue there is Hana-Ru, an Asian shopping plaza with a WONDERFUL supermarket and upstairs food court(I often get sushi or fresh fish there). The market in Lansdale is wonderful as well, but as far as an area where many asian people LIVE, Cheltenham is it.
Would you know if Cheltenham is largely Asian-Oriental, or does it also have significant Asian-Indian population.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:46 PM

The reason I started this thread was because -- in a post that I made a couple of years ago with regard to "Atlanta or Philadelphia" -- on the Atlanta forum, I was given the impression:
(a) Asian kids were teased in Philly area schools
(b) posters were pointing me to Cherry Hill, giving me the impression that PA side will be not be suitable.
I did not get much response from the Philly forum at that time.

From what you all have said now -- I dont think I need to be necessarily concerned. You have listed a whole list of restaurants, said that Asian stuff is all over the place, ... pointed to locations where there is significant Asian/Indian populations.

I am not necessarily looking for the Edison,NJ -level of Asian/Indian population. Just somewhere where I would feel comfortable. I think Philadelphia/PA should fit the bill.

Thanks for all your responses.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,598,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
The reason I started this thread was because -- in a post that I made a couple of years ago with regard to "Atlanta or Philadelphia" -- on the Atlanta forum, I was given the impression:
(a) Asian kids were teased in Philly area schools
(b) posters were pointing me to Cherry Hill, giving me the impression that PA side will be not be suitable.
I did not get much response from the Philly forum at that time.

From what you all have said now -- I dont think I need to be necessarily concerned. You have listed a whole list of restaurants, said that Asian stuff is all over the place, ... pointed to locations where there is significant Asian/Indian populations.

I am not necessarily looking for the Edison,NJ -level of Asian/Indian population. Just somewhere where I would feel comfortable. I think Philadelphia/PA should fit the bill.

Bensalam area in Bucks county [just north of Philadelphia] has a good Indian population and nice environment. I use to go there from new jersey for Indian grocery and mall shopping.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Bensalam area in Bucks county [just north of Philadelphia] has a good Indian population and nice environment. I use to go there from new jersey for Indian grocery and mall shopping.
Thanks for the info. From wikipedia: "Bensalem has a large and fast-growing foreign-born population, which includes large concentrations of Mexicans, Guatemalans, Koreans, and Indians"

However -- a check of schools on greatschools.net (using search for Bensalem) did not come up with impressive results. Let me know if you have any additional info on this. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 PM

805 posts, read 2,149,885 times
Default Philly area school rankings , philly area indian restaurants

article from philly mag top 50 school districts of 2008

The Top 50 School Districts 2008 - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com

ranking list from the philly mag link:
http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf

old city-data thread best schools in philly suburbs:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...y-suburbs.html

huge thread on authentic indian in the philly burbs:

authentic indian food in the philly area/burbs - Pennsylvania - Chowhound

Old 12-23-2008, 07:51 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,063,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post

Well, good. I hope that means city-data worked as a tool to help you make an informed decision. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Well, good. I hope that means city-data worked as a tool to help you make an informed decision. Good luck!
It certainly is a great tool. Thanks for your inputs! I will be in the Philly area in the next few weeks to check out things.

I created a follow up thread with locations mentioned in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...e-suburbs.html

Any input provided on that thread will help me focus on specific areas when I visit the area soon. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia