Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 10,469 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are possible relocating from Westchester, NY to the suburbs of Philadelphia next year. We are a biracial family and would love to find a walkable suburb with excellent public and private school options, a liberal population, a sense of community, activities for our two kids, and access to cultural activities.

We have the option to work from home when not traveling but would like easy train access to Philadelphia and airport. Strongly prefer a walkable downtown. I do not like areas that are too rural and prefer to live somewhere where you can see your neighbors and people walk around. Budget is up to 1.5 million for a 4 bedroom house. From some preliminary research, the Main Line neighborhoods seem like they would be a great fit but would love recommendations for specific towns to explore when we visit. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 03:15 PM

16 posts, read 15,798 times
I would think that Wayne, Ardmore and Media would both be good options to further explore. West Chester as well but it is a bit further out. You have a healthy budget for this area and should have good options in pretty much every town, especially since you are not looking for a large lot size. It’s a wonderful area, Welcome!!

Old 03-15-2018, 03:36 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,684,449 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html Answer the questions from here for more depth to guide you in the right direction.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester1908 View Post
Hello, we are possible relocating from Westchester, NY to the suburb mms of Philadelphia next year. We are a biracial family and would love to find a walkable suburb with excellent public and private school options, a liberal population, a sense of community, activities for our two kids, and access to cultural activities.

We have the option to work from home when not traveling but would like easy train access to Philadelphia and airport. Strongly prefer a walkable downtown. I do not like areas that are too rural and prefer to live somewhere where you can see your neighbors and people walk around. Budget is up to 1.5 million for a 4 bedroom house. From some preliminary research, the Main Line neighborhoods seem like they would be a great fit but would love recommendations for specific towns to explore when we visit. Thank you!
Look at all of the Main Line towns, from Narberth to Paoli. However, the ones from Narberth to Wayne(maybe to Berwyn) are more of what you are looking for.

I grew up in Haverford which is a village between Ardmore and Bryn Mawr both of which have walkable downtown. Wayne has a downtown too.

All have train access to Phila. The airport train travels between Center City Phila. and the airport.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM

16 posts, read 15,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Look at all of the Main Line towns, from Narberth to Paoli. However, the ones from Narberth to Wayne(maybe to Berwyn) are more of what you are looking for.

I grew up in Haverford which is a village between Ardmore and Bryn Mawr both of which have walkable downtown. Wayne has a downtown too.

All have train access to Phila. The airport train travels between Center City Phila. and the airport.
The area of the Village of Haverford (Lower Merion Township) around Suburban Square would actually check off a lot of your boxes. It’s a great area!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM

744 posts, read 776,233 times
I would look at Media(!), Swarthmore, Wayne, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr. Maybe also consider Jenkintown and ambler. West Chester is has everything you want except train service to center city. It is a great town though. If you are ok with private schools maybe look at chestnut hill. Maybe also look at haddonfield on the NJ side.

Ultimately I would focus on media.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbreeze View Post
The area of the Village of Haverford (Lower Merion Township) around Suburban Square would actually check off a lot of your boxes. It’s a great area!
Suburban Sq is in Ardmore but, yes, all of it is what the OP is looking for.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I would look at Media(!), Swarthmore, Wayne, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr. Maybe also consider Jenkintown and ambler. West Chester is has everything you want except train service to center city. It is a great town though. If you are ok with private schools maybe look at chestnut hill. Maybe also look at haddonfield on the NJ side.

Ultimately I would focus on media.
Media gets pushed a lot on this board. While Bryn Mawr, for example, rarely if ever gets pushed at all. It has a superb public library, Bryn Mawr Hospital, Aqua America PA, Bryn Mawr Trust hq, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr Film Institute and it's split between two good school districts with Lower Merion the better of the two. Plus, the walkable downtown of Lancaster Ave.

I like Media, btw, but why so much emphasis? Plus the OP specifically mentioned the Main Line.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:25 AM

744 posts, read 776,233 times
Quote:
Media gets pushed a lot on this board. While Bryn Mawr, for example, rarely if ever gets pushed at all. It has a superb public library, Bryn Mawr Hospital, Aqua America PA, Bryn Mawr Trust hq, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr Film Institute and it's split between two good school districts with Lower Merion the better of the two. Plus, the walkable downtown of Lancaster Ave.

I like Media, btw, but why so much emphasis? Plus the OP specifically mentioned the Main Line.
I like Bryn Mawr a lot. I even considered buying a house there before I doubled down on Mt Airy. I emphasized media here because of the clearly stated preference for s walkable town. I think that is the center of media to a T. Lancaster ave in Bryn Mawr feels, to me st least, like a busy road with a lot of stores on them at least when it is compared to the main streets in media, West Chester. I just think I would start my search in media.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:

Isn't there a fairly new development in Bryn Mawr with a La Colombe, Athleta, wine bar, and some other shops too? I heard it was very nice.

With regard to Media, I think anytime someone moves to the Philadelphia area with a budget of $1M + its automatically the Main Line, which may have been the case historically, but many towns have blossomed into their own, and no longer need the Main Line attachment to make said area attractive.

I personally prefer the Media/Swarthmore/Middletown/Edgemont/Upper Providence/Newtown Square area to Lower Merion. My reasons are: The Media area is less congested, a ton more open space and protected land, equally outstanding public schools, more house for the money, a larger variety of housing stock, Media outdoes any of the walkable Main Line towns (Ardmore still has a chance), and I feel that Media offers more in terms of recreation and family friendly activities.

Of course the Main Line scores an A+ in every category as well, but the Media area has extra perks that you don't realize until you move to the area.

Both areas also have easy rail/ highway access to Philadelphia and fairly diverse and liberal.

West Chester is a superb area, but much more separated from Philadelphia.

I recommend a visit to Main Line (Lower Merion), Media area, and West Chester to see them for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia