Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,505,031 times

Advertisements

Downingtown schools are slightly better and the area is a tad more rural/less developed - which I also see as a plus. If I had to choose between those two only, I would choose somewhere in the Downingtown district (it's a huge area so you will have a diverse choice of environments/amenities) and drive to West Chester for a "culture fix" so to speak. Although honestly if I want real culture, I'm heading for the city. Sorry just not a huge West Chester fan here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM

207 posts, read 702,629 times
I live in W.C. & love it. However, if I was in your position I would move in area that would allow your children to go to the TE school district. This is hands down the best school district. My girlfriend works for the high school and they are so progressive and so much more advanced than any of the other school districts mentioned.

I used to live in Wayne, but I lived in a townhouse & when I was ready to upgrade, I got a lot more for my money in West Chester. By the way the people are just as good in one of the towns as they are in the others. The people of the Main Line get a bad rap but for every snooty person, there are 3 others who are just as caring as anyone you would meet.

I would suggest renting in Chesterbrook. That's where I lived, the townhouses are about 17 years old and most of them have been kept up. It is right in the TE school district and you can walk to everything. Also, I remember when I lived there, a lot of people who had relocated would move there until they had completed their transition. I would not suggest buying a house there as the association costs sort of suck. However, I will say taxes were low when I lived there about 3 years ago.

Someone mentioned that buying a house in the TE district (Malvern, Wayne, Paoli, Berwyn, sections of Devon ) would be expensive. Well, in this market I have sen a lot of people getting great deals. When I was looking to buy a house 4 years ago, it was a lot more expensive but now if you can get a property in that school district it is worth it.

I'm not trying to sound so adverse to my own school district, but unfortunately West Chester has a pretty poor reputation (compared to it's neighboring districts) and at this point we are thinking that we may have to send our child to private school, unless the elementary schools get better in the next 2-3 years.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,732 times
Check all of the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac foreclosures,,, there are bunches of them. That is good for you. It is in your best interest to sign a buyer's rep agreement with a Realtor. Negotiate tough. Offer 65 % of listing price to start. The market is getting reading for another downturn and you don't want to buy and owe more on the hosue you just bought in a matter of a few months. Houses up here that sold for $ 299,000 at the top fo the housing bubble are now listing for $ 199,000. As for an area I recently viewed homes in Oxford, PA and was impressed. Look for a bank foreclosure there. Foreclosures now make up around 30 % of the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia