U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 17,621 times

Advertisements

Well, my main criteria for opening the restaurant would be traffic over safety, to a degree obviously. I am just getting mixed signals about the entertainment areas of both NL and UC. Can anyone explain what exactly is the liberties walk in NL? Is it what they call the entertainment "strip" ? And for UC, is there a substantial restaurant strip? Yelp.com wasn't really showing much but they might not have a complete database.

Man, still need to do some more research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 17,522 times
Well, if your main criteria is traffic, University City definitely does have more of it. Of course, there are about 6 different sushi restaurants that I can think of off the top of my head, none of which are really all that great.

In NoLib, a new sushi restaurant JUST opened this week on liberties walk and it has been drawing BIG crowds. (of course, it IS just the first week) But the big difference is that people in NoLib really get behind businesses that open there. The NLNA works hard to develop the community from a neighborly approach, and the community is also forming a business association to actively pursue development.

I cannot tell you where to open your business, just simply give feedback. I am not trying to cut anyone down, or to say one neighborhood IS DEFINITELY better than another. Just simply giving my opinion about the state of both places.

Upenn IS a money making machine, but summers are dead. Lunches, except RIGHT next to the university aren't that fabulous for businesses. There are a lot of businesses struggling BIG TIME in UCity because it has gotten SO commercialized. Yes, Upenn is developing new building right across from center city. The area will certainly grow and develop, but the rents for retail space are going to be OUT OF THIS WORLD. I do not know your financial situation, but I assume you would rather have a few dead lunches here and there and still have a moderately low rent, versuses HAVING to be busy at lunch just to scrape by.

Plain and simple, it is probably far less expensive to run your business in the NoLib right now based solely on the rents. Buy your space, and you are even BETTER off. This isn't even an OPTION in UCity right now UNLESS you put your business out on 50th and bumble**** and then you will have CRIME galore.

I respect your opinions rainrock, but you aren't looking at the big picture. I'd LOVE to own a business in UCITY, but without the Steven Starr name, good luck. (even HIS restaurants, especially POD, are suffering from overcommercialization in UCITY)

Go with a location that can grow with you and around you, don't jump into the game late, pay rent out of the wazoo and just barely get by.

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,398 times
I'd be surprised if rents for commercial properties in University City were higher than rents in Northern Liberties. Unless you're talking about a couple blocks directly around Penn. Do you have a source? I think there's a lot more speculator-driven rent hiking going on in NoLibs.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,469 times
Default They are both great neighborhoods!

University City is more well-established, but like Northern Liberties, has seen significant expansion and growth in recent years. Northern Liberties is more of a "hipster" crowd, while UC is academic and often more laid back. UC is home to such infamous dining spots like the White Dog Cafe, while Northern Liberties is home to "Standard Tap" and "North 3rd," among others. I suppose the answer to your question lies in the audience you think your restaurant will better serve. To get a better idea, hang out in both. Try the Green Line Cafe at 43rd and Baltimore, and then have a beer at Standard Tap. The difference will be immediately apparent. Cheers!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,584 times
Default I love UC

The highest concentration of restaurants in UC are on 40th between Spruce and Chestnut. UC is a huge area geographically and has lots of different neighborhoods in it with very different personalities. We live near Clark Park at 46th and Kingsessing. There are no drunk Penn undergrads down here. It's a more residential area with a mixture of families, USP students, anarchists, and black families who have lived here since before it was University City. We haven't had any problem with crime, but there are bands of teenage hoodlams during the summer, and we fight a constant battle with litter. Baltimore Ave between 43rd and 48th has several good restaurants and coffee shops but nothing uber-trendy. At 47th and Baltimore are Dahlak (ethiopian) and Vientaine (panasian), both of which seem to do brisk business. There's a new Vietnamese place opening there soon. I'm sure the rent is much cheaper than the areas closer to the universities, but you wouldn't get as much foot traffic. If you open a good sushi place there, I promise my wife and I will go at least once a week. We still haven't found an affordable sushi place we like in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia