Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 28,913 times

Advertisements

I feel you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
No offense but this stuff gets really old. You're not on safari in Africa. A leopard isn't going to run you down as you walk out of your hotel.

and btw - the safest part of the city is the northwest. Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Roxborough and Manayunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,013,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I love how people wig out about city crime in Philly

Ya, it needs work but my middle class family lives there and had almost no problems for years. Stay outta the slums and use common sense seriously. It is not Camden for god sake.

For living:

Center City (expensive prices)

Most of Northeast Philly, rather suburban in feel. Mix of White and affluent minorities.

Olney (Far North Philly) not quite as pristine as Northeast Philly but still rather safe. My family lives there, many affluent Afro-American families.

Most of Northwest Philly similar to Northeast Philly

There may be a few pockets of South and West Philly I am overlooking.

Generally speaking, North Philly is a no go zone.
I meant to say Oak Lane in Far North Philly

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

344 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
No offense but this stuff gets really old. You're not on safari in Africa. A leopard isn't going to run you down as you walk out of your hotel.

and btw - the safest part of the city is the northwest. Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Roxborough and Manayunk.
tru tru
and the bit that others mentioned about univercity city being safe???
ask anyone who lives in UC and has been in philly 15+ years and they will laugh. i live in UC and am from philly...the last 7+ friends i have hung out with over the last 10 days, they have brought how they or one of our friends was robbed at gunpoint, no further out than 46th street, from baltimore to chestnut, all in the last 4 months. but i'm sure the only incidents of this are the people that i know hehe

Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,075,513 times
That sounds like what started happening just before I left. That is sad. Some of those old buildings were beautiful and the area is convenient. My building--Garden Court Plaza-- had lovely apartments. It would make a lovely place for an inner city lifestyle if only that safety point were addressed. So what part of UC is now considered a mellower CC?? Closer in to the univ??

Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 106,279 times
Just to echo what everybody else is saying...

I live in Center City (Washington Square West) and have never felt unsafe, ever. Given the average number of people in center city at any given time- it is amazing to me how safe this area actually is. There were only like 2 or three murders last year.... Sure there are other violent crimes, but it seems to be, at a maximum, proportionate to other major cities.

Reading the local newspaper every day has left me with the impression that the violent thugs in Philly (as well as many other big cities) rarely attack 'civilized people'. Rather, they tend to kill each other. Drugs are a big part of this, of course.

In addition to Center City, the Northern Liberties area is fairly safe- but its more a place to live than visit. South (east) Philly is great and is certainly worth a visit. (I think having Brunch in Bella Vista is a required Philadelphia experience!) There are some sections of South Philly that I try and avoid however- mainly the areas with public housing projects a few blocks south of South street between 5th and 8th streets. I've never been to South (West) Philly but hear mostly bad things. One exception would be the gentrifying area just south of Rittenhouse. People refer to it as G-Ho (Graduate hospital). I don't think that there is much to see there as a tourist though.

As others have stated, Manayunk is realy safe and very cool- so are some of the neighborhoods to the east (The Elm Street area off the R6 is nice). Manayunk is worth visiting.

I haven't spent much time in West Philly- but would advise not going west of 45th street.

North Philly has some rough areas but not much to see. The Temple campus is safe- but the area just west of it has to be one of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

As a tourist, stick to center city. It is safe and dense with attractions. Market Street between 12th and 7th can be a little annoying with of all of the bums. But, generally speaking, they are all harmless.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
2-3 murders in a section of the city in a year is 2-3 too many.. I can't believe that someone would call ANY place where murders happen in numbers safe.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 PM

I agree that 2 or 3 murders are 2 or 3 too many! But, given the numbers, I think few people would consider Center City dangerous (as far as homicides go).

When I think of safe cities, I think of places like Salt Lake City. SLC had 13 murders last year- yet is only twice the size of center city. Even if you double the Center City murders (to take into account SLC's 2x population), thats only six murders- half of that of SLC's.

Again, I'm not even getting into other crimes- which must be calculated in order to determine real safety. I'm not sure where CC would stand there. But, again, I think 2-3 homicides, although horrible, is a small number compared to many other urban centers.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,956,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickford View Post

In addition to Center City, the Northern Liberties area is fairly safe- but its more a place to live than visit. South (east) Philly is great and is certainly worth a visit. (I think having Brunch in Bella Vista is a required Philadelphia experience!) There are some sections of South Philly that I try and avoid however- mainly the areas with public housing projects a few blocks south of South street between 5th and 8th streets. I've never been to South (West) Philly but hear mostly bad things. One exception would be the gentrifying area just south of Rittenhouse. People refer to it as G-Ho (Graduate hospital). I don't think that there is much to see there as a tourist though.
FYI - the area between 5th & 8th Streets a few blocks south of South St. is Bella Vista (and a little bit of Queen Village) and is a great neighborhood.

The "projects" you speak of are between Christian & Washington and 4th & 5th St. There is also another similar development along 13th St. between Bainbridge and Christian.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
the area between 5th & 8th Streets a few blocks south of South St. is Bella Vista (and a little bit of Queen Village) and is a great neighborhood.

The "projects" you speak of are between Christian & Washington and 4th & 5th St. There is also another similar development along 13th St. between Bainbridge and Christian.
Thanks Solibs, you're right.

(my apologies to any Bella Vistians out there!)

Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 16,750 times
philadelphia is the best city in the world, if i could save any city in the world it would be philly by far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia