U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM

469 posts, read 1,380,525 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are flying to Philadelphia next month to scout out the area before we move there. We saw an episode on the Food Network channel about 2 places across from each other that sell the philly cheesesteaks. Could you let me know what their names are and who really has the best one?
Thanks so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,854,950 times
The two places are Pat's and Geno's, and imo neither one is very good.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,674,706 times
StephanieP it still cracks me up that you and I are doing an almost exact swap on locations.

Pat's and Geno's are both a HELL of a lot better than anything you'd find in Houston You can find good cheesesteaks all over the city though, there's South Street, Reading Terminal Market...the list is endless. Hope you like GREASE.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
StephanieP it still cracks me up that you and I are doing an almost exact swap on locations.

Pat's and Geno's are both a HELL of a lot better than anything you'd find in Houston You can find good cheesesteaks all over the city though, there's South Street, Reading Terminal Market...the list is endless. Hope you like GREASE.
I know, right? How do you like Katy so far?

I figured the cheesesteaks there have to be better than what you get here! I told Scott (after seeing that episode) that we have to go to one of those places as soon as we leave the airport! My mouth is watering thinking about it.

We are going up for the visit on the 11th of February, so I will get to experience some winter. We just got back from Lake Tahoe where it was in the 50's. Go figure.

Thanks for the great info!!
Stephanie

Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The two places are Pat's and Geno's, and imo neither one is very good.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the good places to go. We were going to try them after seeing them on TV.
Thanks for the help!
Stephanie

Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM

3,303 posts, read 11,108,648 times
The two places, as noted earlier, are Pat's and Geno's. Of the 2, I'd pick Pat's, but my favorite steak places are Tony Luke's (also South Philly, under I-95, so it's easy from the airport), Steaks on South (South Street), and Larry's (NE Philly, probably way out of your way).

My only problem with Tony Luke's is that I tend to bail on the cheesesteak in favor of the Italian pork sandwich when I get there, it's just so good I can't help it.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM

4,217 posts, read 8,320,238 times
There's too much hoopla over such an overrated, greasy, slab of meat on a roll. Eat grilled chicken breast or something along those lines. Im so tired of this talk about cheesesteaks! Enough already!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
There's too much hoopla over such an overrated, greasy, slab of meat on a roll. Eat grilled chicken breast or something along those lines. Im so tired of this talk about cheesesteaks! Enough already!
Hey man, give me a break. It will be my first time in PA, gotta do the touristy thing.
I know it's probably not the healthiest thing to eat, but I just can't wait to get my hands on one!

juniperbleu, thanks for the advise, I will have to check out Tony Luke's. OMG, italian pork sandwich, my husband will be all over that!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:36 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,854,950 times
Honestly, Stephanie, I get a better cheesesteak at my local pizza place than I would at Pat's or Genos. It's really not that hard to find a good one, if you're into cheesesteaks. Maybe you can conduct your own impartial research while you're here and report back to us.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:51 PM

101 posts, read 363,873 times
i don't eat meat so this may be bad advice, but from what I hear both D'allesandros and Chubby's make a great cheesesteak. They are across the street from each other in Roxborough, Henry Ave and Walnut Lane.

Jim's Steaks on South St. also gets a lot of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia