Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 63,036 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a job in Newtown and trying to find a place that we'd like to relocate via the internet is so confusing. I love the variety of responses that are generated here and I'm hoping that someone out there can help us.

We're in our early 30s and have a 2-year-old and another due in September. We're looking for a place that we would enjoy living and can actually afford. I have no idea what he's going to be offered as far as salary but I honestly doubt that we'd be able to afford anything over 300 or maybe 400k. In fact, housing here is so cheap compared to what I've seen of that area that I shudder to think how we'll make it with our current lifestyle. Maybe he'll be offered a lot more to make up for cost of living?

I am a Doctor of Oriental Medicine (acupuncturist/herbalist) and he's an electrical engineer. I really hope to find somewhere that I can set up an acupuncture practice in a year or two where people are open to the medicine. We're both very open-minded and liberal and would enjoy being in an area with people who share that mindset. I feel completely lost in small towns where there's not a whole lot going on musically, culturally, theatrically, etc....We both are also really into good food and wine and especially ethnic foods. We're very liberal in our ideas about how to raise our children and it would be great to find others who share those views as well. A good school district is also a plus but we may be homeschooling so it may not be necessary.

Our passion when we find the time is being outdoors in nature - biking, hiking, camping, etc...We miss the water and trees and are excited about the thought of moving out of the desert but we'll really miss this beautiful place as well. We both grew up outside the "concrete jungle" and hesitate to live in a place where there's no escape to nature.

A lot of information, I know....Thought the more I could provide, the better someone might be able to advise. Please....if you have any insight, I'd love to hear what anyone thinks might be a good match for us....
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I lived in Newtown for about 3 years and really liked it. Newtown is pretty liberal so I don't think you will have a problem. The downtown is very nice with cute little shops and great dining. It is a very charming place to live.
Also, I think people in this area are pretty open to different forms of medicine and the downtown would be a lovely place to do this. (If there isn't one there already)
I lived in Newtown Grant which is a development that has single family homes, townhomes, and condos. I am not sure of the prices now, but in the height of it our condo sold for $185K and my friends a year later sold for $225K. BUT, that was in the HEIGHT of the market and I think prices have dropped a lot.
I know of a WONDERFUL realtor we used 3 different times there if you want his name let me know and I will email it to you. He was very honest with us-actually turned us away the first time b/c he KNEW we couldn't afford it. He was right and we took a year and got a downpayment and he was WONDERFUL to work with. (that's why we used him so much)
If you want to look beyoind Newtown then I would suggest New Hope for the type of culture you are looking for. It is very gay friendly and very artsy. My husband and I loved walking the streets in the summer. Lots of little nice bars to sit outside in and watch the people go by.
Another "area" would be Peddlers Village. It isn't so much a city as a place, but around the general area would be good. LOTS of art stuff and culture there. Again, a good realtor will be able to show you these hot spots.
If you don't find those affordable then maybe check out Doylestown. It isn't as artsy but more affordable and close to these area...and not a bad drive to Newtown.
Schools in all of these areas are good, so nothing to worry about there if you do decide to send your kids there. I think the only worry there is "excess" with the kids...A lot of wealthy families in the area.
Good luck and if you want to ask me anything, PM me and I will answer.
I miss Newtown. The only place I ever really felt like I was home.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Oh, and I failed to mention Yardley. Another place that is wonderful and a town over from Newtown. Right along the Delaware. ANd a nice downtown to walk.
By the way, there is a lot to do outdoors with the Delaware right there. A nice bike path, walk path, and in the summer you can tube down the River...very fun for the entire family!

Edit: I just checked out the places I mentioned in your price range and not a lot...You may want to try Fountainville which is near Doylestown. Pulte Homes has a nice development there...can't remember the name...bedminster or something like that, that has new single families in your price range. My friend bought one in the height of the market and paid $400K but HER friend recently purchased a LOADED home for $375K there. (My friends was just basics...formica, no upgrades) SO prices are def down in that area and it is a very cute developement. Wisteria Lane comes to PA, lol!

Last edited by ShannonMilligan; 03-29-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM

thanks so much.....all great information....we've looked into most of those areas and the ones you mention are the ones i was thinking about as well so that's good confirmation...you've also mentioned a few that i need to check out...thanks again!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:16 PM

anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 19,236 times
My family currently lives in Newtown, and my fiance and I are looking for our first home to buy. We probably have a considerably lower budget than you, but I've grown up in the Middletown Township/Newtown Township area and it's all pretty nice (for the most part).

Parts you'd probably want to stay away from include Bristol, Bensalem, and Croydon, of the top of my head. Middletown Township is in the Neshaminy School District, which is really great. If you settle in the Newtown area, your home prices are much higher (you can probably afford a townhome or condo), but that's in Council Rock district, which pays some of the highest teacher salaries in the state. Falls Township is Pennsbury district, which has now gotten to rival Neshaminy in academics. They all border each other, so choosing any of them would put your husband within an easy commute to Newtown for work (you're probably looking at 15 miles tops).

Basically, Langhorne, Newtown, Yardley, Doylestown, Fountainville (as previously mentioned), Dublin, New Hope, and Lahaska are great places for you to start looking.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM

thanks again....great thoughts...housing sure is expensive in that area...any idea what a fairly new 1400 sq. ft. house is going for?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,000 times
Default Have you thought about Trenton, esp Mill Hill?

I'm sure this post will generate some interesting commentary, but you might consider Trenton, especially the Mill Hill District, where I live. Beautiful little historic neighborhood that reminds folks of Georgetown. Very liberal, diverse, engaged community. And actually quite a few early-30s parents.

Downside is public shools are terrible. But you're a few years away from worrying about school, and the community itself is heavily engaged with things like cooperative home schooling, and developing charter schools.

Beautifully restored 4 bedroom homes for around 350K; homes that need work, but are still livable for much less. 15 minute reverse commute from Newtown.

Check out Welcome to Mill Hill

Old 04-06-2008, 02:10 PM

mill hill looks like a nice place but i heard that the property taxes in NJ were really high compared to those in PA....is that really the truth???...i guess that's what has been steering us away from NJ thus far...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,191 times
Yep ~ property taxes in NJ are higher than PA. I think you are looking for a town like New Hope which is just across the river from NJ. Liberal, safe, open-minded, outdoorsy, artsy, nice downtown area, etc. You'd be close to Princeton which is also quite a crunchy community (about 20 minutes away from New Hope, I think). There are theatres in New Hope and Princeton. NYC is about 1.5 hours away (by train) and Philly is about an hour (driving). There are 2 Waldorf schools in the area if you don't wind up homeschooling. Plenty of biking, camping and hiking not far from New Hope. Personally, I love to walk or bike along the Delaware River. You will find plenty of ethinic food restaurants and natural food stores in Princeton although New Hope has some nice restaurants as well as Lambertville which is directly across the river from New Hope in NJ. There are some wonderful midwives in the area too if you plan to have your baby here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia