Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times

Advertisements

A true "river to river" shot of Center City (5 frames pieced together with Photoshop) taken from an upper floor of the South Philly Holiday Inn by me a few years ago.
Dockside is on the far right and Cire Ctr is on the far left.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Default University City - Welcome to my neighborhood

University City, on the west bank of the Schuykill River, was a semi-rural area dotted with some large mansions and estates until about 1850. Thereafter, it became a "streetcar suburb" of Philly and a great deal of homes where constructed between 1860 and 1900. Nearly every type of Victorian residential architecture can be found here: Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, French Second Empire (my home), Victorian Eclectic, Flemish or Netherlandish Revival, etc.

This part of West Philadelphia was christened "University City" because it is home to the 'ivy-league' University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, the University of the Sciences Philadelphia (USP), and the Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College.

University City consists of such neighborhoods as Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Garden Court, Squirrel Hill, Woodland Terrace, Walnut Hill, and Powelton Village. Most are registered historic districts and have shady tree lined streets and a lot of charm and character.

Enjoy!

(most of the pics were taken by myself but the better ones were taken by my friend Joseph Minardi who is a better photographer than me. We both serve on the Board of the University City Historical Society.)

Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
I swear to god, this city is freaking amazing. The density is just mind-boggling. The endless neighborhoods of rowhouses..

Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
A few shots of my new neighborhood...... 10 miles north of City Hall....... quiet, not so exciting maybe, but beautiful.

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-25-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM

159 posts, read 316,886 times

Night time bike ride along the river.

Those quaint little side streets in the heart of center city always get me.

A little North of 10th and Spring Garden, the first neighborhood I lived in - I didn't have AC and it was summer time so I spent a loooot of time exploring the section just north of Chinatown and East of Broad known as the "eraserhood". Eerie, but awesome area.

Underneath the streets of West Philly is an artist's space called The Blue Grotto. My favorite thing about Philadelphia is that there is so much to explore and it's so easy to turn a corner and find some special little corner of the universe like this.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Philadelphia really excels in the neighborhood photos.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More - Part 2

Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
University City, on the west bank of the Schuykill River, was a semi-rural area dotted with some large mansions and estates until about 1850. Thereafter, it became a "streetcar suburb" of Philly and a great deal of homes where constructed between 1860 and 1900. Nearly every type of Victorian residential architecture can be found here: Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, French Second Empire (my home), Victorian Eclectic, Flemish or Netherlandish Revival, etc.

This part of West Philadelphia was christened "University City" because it is home to the 'ivy-league' University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, the University of the Sciences Philadelphia (USP), and the Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College.

University City consists of such neighborhoods as Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Garden Court, Squirrel Hill, Woodland Terrace, Walnut Hill, and Powelton Village. Most are registered historic districts and have shady tree lined streets and a lot of charm and character.

Enjoy!

(most of the pics were taken by myself but the better ones were taken by my friend Joseph Minardi who is a better photographer than me. We both serve on the Board of the University City Historical Society.)

WOW. Thanks for posting these pics. Reminds me of my neighborhood in Ohio---Victorian Village. Great place to take photos. How far is this area from the Reading Terminal Market?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I swear to god, this city is freaking amazing. The density is just mind-boggling. The endless neighborhoods of rowhouses..
Yeah, tell me about it. Philly is a beautiful city. I can't wait to move there.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
WOW. Thanks for posting these pics. Reminds me of my neighborhood in Ohio---Victorian Village. Great place to take photos. How far is this area from the Reading Terminal Market?
A little too far to walk from Reading Terminal Market to University City ... it's about a mile and a half to two miles. The easy way to get there is to take Trolleys #11, #13, #34, or #36 (they are underground in Center City like a subway) ... just catch one at 13th and Market Street - less than two blocks from the Market - take the stairs down, buy a couple of fare tokens ($3.10 for two - round-trip) and get off at the 40th Street "Portal", where the trolleys emerge onto the surface. Nearly all the photos I posted are with four or five blocks of the 40th Street Portal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia