Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
haha. It's been a long time since the Vietnamese were a presence in the Logan area. They're now the largest ethnic group in South Philly.
I guess you got me there, I haven't been there for a decade. Where in South Philly?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Question Why limiting yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
So where are all the single asian girls in this city? Ive been to Olde City, Rittenhouse, Manyunk, etc and I hardly see any young asian girl. When I do, they are usually already taken or not interested in dating asian guys. Am I not looking in the right places in this town or is Philly in general a very low asian-populated city. And yes I do know we have china-town here but I dont really hangout there becuase I dont really consider myself a typical asian asian if you know what i mean. I would like to think of myself as an asian-american..hopefully im not confusing many of you but any input would be appreciated.
Why would you limit yourself to Asian girls? Especially considering that you think of yourself as an Asian-American. Asian-American girls are mostly just as Americanized as most of Black, Latino, and White American girls.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Why would you limit yourself to Asian girls? Especially considering that you think of yourself as an Asian-American. Asian-American girls are mostly just as Americanized as most of Black, Latino, and White American girls.

Avail yourself of all possibilities when it comes to women, and you'll be better off for it.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Avail yourself of all possibilities when it comes to women, and you'll be better off for it.
I understand the potential culture clash. Neutre is right not to limit yourself, but chances are in your case it will take you much longer to find what you're looking when you consider people who do not look like what you would normally see in your culture. Volunteer at Philly Asian Film Festival Activities and try to see if you can visit some Asian organizations events as an outsider. This could help you get in touch with your culture more and network with people including ones that you are looking for if they let you come to their events as a non-student!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Default Asian American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I understand the potential culture clash. Neutre is right not to limit yourself, but chances are in your case it will take you much longer to find what you're looking when you consider people who do not look like what you would normally see in your culture. Volunteer at Philly Asian Film Festival Activities and try to see if you can visit some Asian organizations events as an outsider. This could help you get in touch with your culture more and network with people including ones that you are looking for if they let you come to their events as a non-student!
I'm Asian myself, and there's huge differences between Asian cultures. A Filipino may find more things in common with a Mexican than with a Korean.
Being an Asian-American, as the OP said about himself (see quote below), adds another dimension to it.
If you're a Philippine-American, you'll probably be better off in terms of cultural understanding with a Hispanic American than with an American of Japanese or Asian-Indian background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
I do know we have china-town here but I dont really hangout there becuase I dont really consider myself a typical asian asian if you know what i mean. I would like to think of myself as an asian-american

Last edited by Neutre; 11-08-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Quote:
I'm Asian myself, and there's huge differences between Asian cultures. A Filipino may find more things in common with a Mexican than with a Korean.
Being an Asian-American, as the OP said about himself (see quote below), adds another dimension to it.
If you're a Philippine-American, you'll probably be better off in terms of cultural understanding with a Hispanic American than with an American of Japanese or Asian-Indian background.
So true! Limiting yourself that much, unless you're in one of the bigger enclaves like Vietnamese or Korean, it will be difficult in Philly. Univ City is your best bet. Asians definitely attend other Asian events even if it's not within their own sliver of culture. You can learn a lot from someone that is not necessarily in your culture as long as both of you are compatible in some way, that's what really counts. Don't be too choosy, otherwise you will end of with nothing and not even any friends or fun experiences.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
who doesn't like filipino women?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 64,008 times
I'll tell you straight up (no racism blah blah just observations); avoid most of the Penn (esp penn)/drexel area, why? Being at/around Penn at lot, going out with lots of friends and buddy (Korean); we've noticed a very strange occurrence; We've seen more cute (6-7) Azn girls with "white" guys than Asian guys. It's the "new" fit-in/assimilation thing here at the .edu's. Rarely will you see a lot of "Asian" (Korean, Japanese, Chin, Thai, Viet etc.) guys + girls (or couples) at campus functions/and very rarely at parties. Most of the party hosts are obviously Caucasian aka "white," so the whole "fit-in" aspect is very prevalent. The Asian girls that are into Asian guys or other cultures sure don't hang out in those aforementioned areas; they (according to Azn friends that dabble in the inner-circles) tend to congregate at private parties or events/functions downtown; again spread by word of mouth mainly...

There's a mini-club/dance-bar called "Mint," down in olde city, right across from Plough & the Stars = dominated by Azns... nice crowd, mostly mixed at times (since everyone loves Azn girls apparently) etc... Again your best chance is at or around the edu's for the largest grouping of "Asians" in the city... but be warned, you might not like the type of girls you meet when going out... then again it depends of what type of social outings you partake in.

If you find any good groups/spots, let me know, ha... Penn sure ain't where it's at...

PS- The "FoB" types are usually private-only type functions with their group/crews etc. The more "Americanized" girls are at these parties/downtown pop-bar/clubs... Check the DNA-nightlife website for functions, but... the "DNA" parties cater to a certain type of Asian girl; very cliquish and usually young/immature girls, if that's what you're into etc... would be a breath of fresh air to find some Asian women that aren't so closed-mind regarding dating... but it is what it is...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 AM

61 posts, read 227,639 times
Quote:
From my experience Filipinos hang out with other Asians before they hang out with Latinos... other than religion and their surnames I don't really see a huge Hispanic influence on the American Born Filipino lifestyle...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:20 AM

61 posts, read 227,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V12V12 View Post
I'll tell you straight up (no racism blah blah just observations); avoid most of the Penn (esp penn)/drexel area, why? Being at/around Penn at lot, going out with lots of friends and buddy (Korean); we've noticed a very strange occurrence; We've seen more cute (6-7) Azn girls with "white" guys than Asian guys. It's the "new" fit-in/assimilation thing here at the .edu's. Rarely will you see a lot of "Asian" (Korean, Japanese, Chin, Thai, Viet etc.) guys + girls (or couples) at campus functions/and very rarely at parties. Most of the party hosts are obviously Caucasian aka "white," so the whole "fit-in" aspect is very prevalent. The Asian girls that are into Asian guys or other cultures sure don't hang out in those aforementioned areas; they (according to Azn friends that dabble in the inner-circles) tend to congregate at private parties or events/functions downtown; again spread by word of mouth mainly...

There's a mini-club/dance-bar called "Mint," down in olde city, right across from Plough & the Stars = dominated by Azns... nice crowd, mostly mixed at times (since everyone loves Azn girls apparently) etc... Again your best chance is at or around the edu's for the largest grouping of "Asians" in the city... but be warned, you might not like the type of girls you meet when going out... then again it depends of what type of social outings you partake in.

If you find any good groups/spots, let me know, ha... Penn sure ain't where it's at...

PS- The "FoB" types are usually private-only type functions with their group/crews etc. The more "Americanized" girls are at these parties/downtown pop-bar/clubs... Check the DNA-nightlife website for functions, but... the "DNA" parties cater to a certain type of Asian girl; very cliquish and usually young/immature girls, if that's what you're into etc... would be a breath of fresh air to find some Asian women that aren't so closed-mind regarding dating... but it is what it is...
Thanks for the info on the club scene in Philadelphia. I'm planning to visit the DC area and will probably make a stop in Philly as well and wanted to party at an "asian night"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia