U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,303,789 times

Advertisements

If you wind up at Temple don''t live in the dorms. It's a rip-off. You can find much better housing off-campus in neighborhoods that are actually fun to live in.

I would check out South Philly, lots of Temple students live here and take the subway to school.
If you can take most of your classes at the Center City campus, even better. Also, there are a lot of students in University City (Penn/Drexel/USP) and getting to Temple's main campus would only take a few minutes longer than from South Philly.

The Temple Campus in North Philly isn't terrible, there is a reasonable amount of stuff to do there and it's getting better, but there's nothing around it and you have to take the subway or bus to go anywhere else worthwhile . . . that's why I wouldn't live there.

There's no reason to have a car in the city. Between SEPTA and PhillyCarShare it's just a waste of money to have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:00 PM

15 posts, read 57,760 times
Yes. The neighborhood is bad, and getting worse. Gangs are getting worse in this area. (The kids talk to us about this)

I teach right down the street. While Broad Street looks more developed, it still is dangerous and many more violent crimes are taking place during the day. The last Philly cop that was killed was not far from there. My students have been to 2 funerals of peers this school year alone. One kid was shot and killed waiting for the bus at 2 in the afternoon.

I have taught in the area for 15 years. I can drive down the street and wave at students present and past. For years I have felt "safe".
I have driven past a dead body on my commute to work but the last police shooting has freaked me out a bit. I will not bring my kids back down to work with me.

It is sad that kids have to grow up in fear.

Good Luck with your decision. Temple is a very good school.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM

160 posts, read 740,708 times
[quote=bcoffee13;5604966
TU's campus is actually kind of hip. I will say that both TU, UCity and Center City all require common sense. Don't carry wads of cash, don't wear fancy jewelry. Try to travel with other people especially at night. Philly suffers from typical big city crime. If an area or a person looks bad, they probably are. Watch your back when using ATM machines. All that being said, Temple is actually safer than most of the city due to the large security force. .[/quote]

I definately agree. When I drive down Broad St, any time of day, there seem to be many students around outside and the campus is very well lit with security all over. There are many new shops/restaurants around now for students to get food or go to the movies,etc.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM

15 posts, read 57,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb842 View Post
I definately agree. When I drive down Broad St, any time of day, there seem to be many students around outside and the campus is very well lit with security all over. There are many new shops/restaurants around now for students to get food or go to the movies,etc.
Sure, as long as you stay on Broad Street. Try making a turn and drive a few blocks.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
temple area sucks

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,521,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
temple area sucks
No it doesn't. It's fine. If you have common sense and don't wander around places you don't know, you wont have any issues. The immediate area is very safe, and the school is fantastic.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 AM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
When I saw this thread I thought it sounded familiar but not a new thread, and a quick look at the date confirmed that it was started last year. I looked up the old posts for the opening poster and it looks like the she did indeed pick Temple, and moved here last fall. Too bad she hasn't posted since last year on this forum so we could see how she is doing.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 AM

248 posts, read 700,225 times
well good for her! after reading some of these replies, i would have high tailed it right outta there!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
All's well that ends well.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,652 times
I'm not going to sugar coat this...I graduated Temple class of 07. The areas surrounding the campus are absolutely horrible, no equivocating, no posturing, its just an awful neighborhood! But the school is good. You just need to stay on campus and preferably during the daylight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or