U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM

992 posts, read 3,288,450 times

Advertisements

Get an ACT 239 card (permit to carry)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,521,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcolover85 View Post
The areas surrounding the campus are absolutely horrible, no equivocating, no posturing, its just an awful neighborhood!
Ummm no it's not; some of it is, but overall, it's not wholly awful.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 12,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Ummm no it's not; some of it is, but overall, it's not wholly awful.
I'm sorry, we disagree. Like I said, I graduated in 07, from what I've heard its only gotten worse in that neighborhood. To clarify, I was referring to areas off campus, not sure if you were aware of that clarification. Campus itself is ok, but off campus is the wild wild west. Perhaps not south of campus as much, as that gets closer to center city, but certainly north and east of campus--watch out!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
If you have a lot to lose, strongly consider commuting. If not, just keep a few bucks on you at least and some street smarts and you will probably be okay. don't go anywhere you don't have to outside of Temple. especially at night and try not to go alone. South is definitely better than north or east. Going west is probably not worse, but not better either. The low income housing in that area has probably helped that section. i wonder if that's where Bon Jovi built some houses, cause it is somewhere in North Philly.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,116,020 times
When I first moved to Philly in '02, I had never seen such a great school in such a bad neighborhood. I still think it surpasses anything I've ever seen before. Usually Universities are such cash cows, and have their own separate police patrols, that no matter how impoverished a town is, the immediate neighborhood around it is in somewhat better shape. That doesn't seem to be the case at Temple. It's been four or five years since I've been to that part of town, and I could tell it was improving even back then, but it is still one of the roughest urban neighborhoods in the country and the football stadium style lighting they need at night around Temple campus should offer a strong hint as to what sort of crime levels one can expect. That said, the campus itself is very well-kept and I think it is a terrific school. North Philadelphia can only have better days ahead of it.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcolover85 View Post
I'm sorry, we disagree. Like I said, I graduated in 07, from what I've heard its only gotten worse in that neighborhood. To clarify, I was referring to areas off campus, not sure if you were aware of that clarification. Campus itself is ok, but off campus is the wild wild west. Perhaps not south of campus as much, as that gets closer to center city, but certainly north and east of campus--watch out!
I can't see that it's gotten worse. It seems the area is really starting to turn. there's a ton of rehabbing going on west of Broad. the new movie theater, a brand new supermarket opening across the street, new dorms (two more are being built). many commuting students have been pushed north towards Girard by "encroaching" yuppies. Hell, the whole city's crime rate has dropped since 07. that said, you still don't want to go too far west.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 AM

6,183 posts, read 5,151,413 times
One of the worst neighborhoods I've ever seen - and I've been to my share of hoods

Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,521,899 times
Wow, this is totally laughable. It's not that bad at all...

Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,062,028 times
Come on guys.. it's not that bad.

Maybe if you skip down the street with gold chains on your neck past desperate drug addicts, you'll get robbed. The worst I ever heard was of one of my customers back when I worked at T-Mobile getting stuck up on the Broad Street Owl for his phone.

Although the dorms ARE ripoffs, the campus itself is totally safe. You shouldn't have any trouble walking to the subway to go downtown (where the hell else would you go in North Philly if you're not a local?)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
Temple University Student Shot, Robbed While On Cell Phone - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/local/Temple.University.Girard.2.1139095.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or