Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,597 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking to relocate to Philly, need to live within city limits. We have two children, who will be starting K in the Fall. We would like to buy a house for under 350K if possible. We have heard Chestnut Hill and West Mount Airy are good options. What about the schools? What about East Mount Airy? Other possible neighborhoods? We would like to have a neighborhood with families, kids, services, parks, safe, good schools...too much to ask!?!??! THANKS!

When are you moving? in the next 6 months
Where are you coming from? New York
Why are you moving? job
Where will you be working? near City Hall
Have you been here yet? yes

Will you buy or rent? prefer to buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? prefer house; under 350K if possible
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? married, 2 children
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? cats
Do you want or need a yard? prefer yard
Are you keeping a car? prefer garage
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping X
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) X
Nightlife
Train or subway stations X

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
chestnut hill for public elementary or you can try the charter schools or the magnets-Masterman or Central for HS. we dont have good elementary publics really. calm and quiet try Chestnut Hill and parts of Mt Airy.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,664 times
Philly public schools are not very good honestly... You would need to go with a charter school or try living in the Suburbs - Main line area will get you some very good schools and be right on the border of Philly.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 AM

73 posts, read 306,333 times
Good public elementary schools in the city, or the ones that have the best reputation, include Bache Martin (in Fairmount, describes exactly what you are looking for but the houses are priced a little higher than what you described), Meredith and McCall (Both are located closer to So. Philly but I don't know much about the neighborhoods), Greenefield (Center City school, most families that attend this school do not live directly in the catchment. These kids come from all over the city), and Sadie Alexander (Probably the best school in the city, private or public,. Located near U. Penn but the homes in this area are well above the ammount you listed. Also, in order to attend this school, you have to live in this catchment- not true for the others that I have listed.) Henry (In Mt. Airy, this could be a very good option as the homes in this area are a little more reasonably priced.)

Charter options include Byers and Independence Charter School. There may be a few others but I'm not completely versed on all the charters.

I have two children that attend schools that I listed. To say that Philly Public Schools are not really that good is a little misinformed and a very broad statement. There are options.

Also, someone mentioned Masterman. Masterman is not open to everyone. It is selective and there is a process you have to follow in order to get in. Children are eligible starting in 5th grade and have to re-apply for high school. In both cases, it is a very selective process and not everyone gets in. So I wouldn't imediately consider this an option.

Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,597 times
Thank you PhillyZoo and CarolinaJack! As I said above, we HAVE to live within the city limits (it is a mandate of our jobs...) so the 'burbs are not an option. We have heard that Jenks and Henry are good elementary school options. That is all we are worried about right now given that our kids are 5...and who knows where we will be by 8th grade! Again - thanks - we are looking forward to the move and this definitely helps!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I'd recommend the charter school mentioned. Charter schools are our best source of education in the city..

Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM

32 posts, read 105,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I'd recommend the charter school mentioned. Charter schools are our best source of education in the city..
Charter schools can be great and charter schools can be absolutely atrocious--just like the Philadelphia public schools in general. To say that charter schools are the best source of education in the city is just not true. In addition, the really good charter schools are REALLY DIFFICULT to get into. All are on a lottery basis and there is absolutely no guarantee you would get in. For example, Indpendence Charter School has only 2 kindergarten immersion classes and gives automatic acceptance to siblings. So, the year I applied, there were only about 38-40 slots for kindergarten immersion students. After the lottery, my child ended up 200 something on the wait list.

There are some high quality elementary schools in the city, despite what people say. As a public school parent, I can attest to the fact that my child is learning, has had great teachers and enjoys school.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I can say this cause my wife works in the charter school system.. Of course there are bad charter schools, but if they are bad, the school district pulls their charter and the school is not more. Charter schools are under the magnifying glass and *have* to do well to stay around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi le pew View Post
Charter schools can be great and charter schools can be absolutely atrocious--just like the Philadelphia public schools in general. To say that charter schools are the best source of education in the city is just not true. In addition, the really good charter schools are REALLY DIFFICULT to get into. All are on a lottery basis and there is absolutely no guarantee you would get in. For example, Indpendence Charter School has only 2 kindergarten immersion classes and gives automatic acceptance to siblings. So, the year I applied, there were only about 38-40 slots for kindergarten immersion students. After the lottery, my child ended up 200 something on the wait list.

There are some high quality elementary schools in the city, despite what people say. As a public school parent, I can attest to the fact that my child is learning, has had great teachers and enjoys school.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:54 AM

32 posts, read 105,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I can say this cause my wife works in the charter school system.. Of course there are bad charter schools, but if they are bad, the school district pulls their charter and the school is not more. Charter schools are under the magnifying glass and *have* to do well to stay around.
Unless your wife is a consultant who teaches or consults at many different charter schools, she has experience with one charter school. That's like saying my child's public school experience is representative of all Philadelphia public schools. It's not. I just don't think one can talk generalities-each individual school is an entity, good, bad, or middling.

And, until recently, the charter schools were not under much scrutiny. Sure, the really atrocious ones might not have their charter renewed, but what happened to the 5 or 6 years of "education" they provided in the meantime. And, even the ones with "great" results are coming under scrutiny. Heck, Lab Charter had probably the highest test scores in the city. They were phenomenal. But, now the founder is under federal investigation.

Charter schools have an initial leg up in my opinion, because it requires a parent to actually apply. Although this seemingly minor inconvenience may seem trivial, it means that the parent actually gives a fig about education. Thus, he or she is likely to instill that at home. The reason my public school is good, is because it is almost entirely composed of parents who care or value education.

I know I may get flamed for his, but the failing schools are failing, in major part, because the parent or parents don't care. I certainly don't think most inner-city teachers suck or that there are no resources. Sure, some are young or burnt out and there could be more money for certain things, but I really don't think that's the problem. The main problem is the lack of parenting and respect for education. You can throw the best teachers and millions of dollars at the problem but as long as parents don't care and don't properly raise their children, these individual schools will continue to suck.

But, it is a school by school thing. I truly think my child is getting nearly the same education as she would in a good suburban public elementary. i'm also sure she would get a really good education at some of the charter schools. But, I guess my overall point is that I hate when people make sweeping generalities about schools, either public, charter, or suburban. When I was trying to figure out what to do with my daughter, I toured many schools, public, private and charter. Each one was a little different. People have to educate themselves and the OP may just fine a very good public school (or charter) that meets his or her needs. But, to simply say, "they all suck" is just not productive. Heck we need committed parents to help improve the public school, so I hope the OP does some reserch, tours schools and makes the right decision for their family.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi le pew View Post
Charter schools have an initial leg up in my opinion, because it requires a parent to actually apply. Although this seemingly minor inconvenience may seem trivial, it means that the parent actually gives a fig about education. Thus, he or she is likely to instill that at home. The reason my public school is good, is because it is almost entirely composed of parents who care or value education.

I know I may get flamed for his, but the failing schools are failing, in major part, because the parent or parents don't care. I certainly don't think most inner-city teachers suck or that there are no resources. Sure, some are young or burnt out and there could be more money for certain things, but I really don't think that's the problem. The main problem is the lack of parenting and respect for education. You can throw the best teachers and millions of dollars at the problem but as long as parents don't care and don't properly raise their children, these individual schools will continue to suck.
I definitely agree. Teachers only have the kids for 7-8 hours a day; that's not enough to raise another person's child (not to mention they have less authority than a parent). I've heard parents hold the teacher responsible for the student being late, absent, not doing homework, being disruptive, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia