Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
actually a masters degree in Engineering and a professional Engineer. Next question??

nice try.
Puzzling - what does that have to do with how much of the city you have seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 PM

162 posts, read 602,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzoo View Post
Since you're black that automatically makes you an authority on race? So you heard your neighbors, who sound like thugs, voice their hypothesis. Sounds pretty credible to me. I'm one of a couple white people that live on a primarily black block and my experience has been completely different.

Now, to be straight, there are plenty of black racists in Philly- see the new black panther party. But I promise there are plenty of reciprocating white racists. Just go to Port Richmond and Fishtown to see the confederate flag and the arian nation recruitment posters.

As for south philly, it has changed quite a bit in recent years. However, many of my black friends that grew up in philly, have told me how they were instructed by their parents, while growing up, to stay out of south philly. Mostly because of racists attitudes- see the mummers.
Please don't put words into my mouth, I never said that it gives me any authority, I was just saying my opinion on the subject and why I said it. So you're saying that just because they're "thugs" they don't sound credible? Why won't you tell one of those "thugs" to their face that they have no credibility and come back to tell us the results.

I'm pretty sure that there's racism going the other way, just the other day as I was heading home on the R3 and got off at 49th Street I heard a group of young white men saying "I knew he wasn't going into the City", now maybe I am exaggerating a bit and am not understanding the situation enough from their point of view, but to me right now, it sounded like they said that just because I was black. I've never been to Port Richmond or Fishtown, but I am thankful for you "warning" me about the two areas, it sucks too because I was planning on riding the old trolley down Girard to check out the area and the nice Mall there.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
someone questioned my education. I never said it had anything to do with my city experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Puzzling - what does that have to do with how much of the city you have seen?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 AM

73 posts, read 306,412 times
Quote:
someone questioned my education. I never said it had anything to do with my city experience
Re-read the thread. Nobody questions your level of education.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 AM

107 posts, read 584,678 times
treegirl....there are some nice places in south philly that are not racist...it's what you make it to be...everyone has their own opinion...I have friends who lived in south philly and the only thing they complain about is the traffic congestion...also try west philly...or even center city...lots of young diverse singles live in those areas...visit these places and check them out to see if you would like them...

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Judging by your previous posts I would say that guess is not a very educated one either.

was what you said.. so I let you know that I am not uneducated.. Try again..

maybe you should go back and read your posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzoo View Post
Re-read the thread. Nobody questions your level of education.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Quote:
I call em as I see em phillyzoo. And my guess is that I seen more then you have in this city..
This was the 'guess' the poster was responding to, and it had nothing to do with your formal education.

Quote:
Judging by your previous posts I would say that guess is not a very educated one either.

was what you said.. so I let you know that I am not uneducated.. Try again..

maybe you should go back and read your posts

Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 AM

and I was pointing out his 'guess' was incorrect. Is that too hard to understand?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:09 PM

73 posts, read 306,412 times
Quote:
and I was pointing out his 'guess' was incorrect. Is that too hard to understand?
Huh!? Very hard to understand. I did say that your guess was uneducated, but that had nothing to do with your formal education. I was pointing out that the guess you made was an uneducated guess- similar to a bad hypothesis. None of this has anything to do with one's formal education. Is that too hard to understand?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM

too bad I was not talking to you..

Philly at its best..
Let me recap for you...
Someone says that they hear white people in the city are racist. I post that I feel the opposite.. someone agrees with me.
and you attack both of us that our opinion is wrong. And yours is correct.. Did I miss something?

people like you make me so happy I'm out of this city in a few days.. You just don't get it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia