U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,116 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in a small town near Hazleton, PA but I may be landing a job with SIemens in Malvern and am looking at towns in the area to relocate to. Ideally, I'd like to be able to spend around 600, maybe 650, per month on rent and utilities. From the looks of ads on craigslist, if I get a room with somebody, this is definitely achievable. I've been considering West Chester alot just because I enjoy the college town vibe but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on other towns in the area. I'm 23 and definitely want some nightlife around to get nuts Thursday thru Sunday but I don't want to be caught up in a sea of drunks on Tuesday evening either (ahh, memories of State College hahaha) so... that's something to keep in mind. I know the Manayunk and Conshy areas are supposed to be pretty ideal for young professionals as well but it seems the commute to Malvern could suck a bit from that distance. I've also heard Phoenixville is starting to become quite the hot spot. Anyway, any advice from anyone living in the area would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
West Chester wouldn't be a bad choice. Its no State College but its a very nice livable town. Perhaps the eastern end of the mainline would be another option. There are a bunch of colleges(Villanova,Haverford,BrynMawr,Rosemont,Har ***, even St Joes could be considered mainline) Alot of apartment complexes, lots of students but these aren't buck-wild state students, those schools are all very highly regarded colleges.Haverford,Bryn Mawr, and Rosemont are 3 of the best liberal arts colleges in the country.

The mainline is a continuous line of towns that run you into Manayunk and Center City and fabulous Fairmount Park.Mainline might be something to look into but I'll always put a good word in for West Chester too.

West Chester is more relaxing, more tranquil. The mainline more centrally located and closer to the hustle and bustle.

Eastern Mainline to Malvern is about 20 minutes.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or