Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 75,429 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is, unfortunately, hunting for a new job and has a few good prospects in the Philadelphia area. I'm a planner by nature, so I'm thinking ahead to the "what-ifs". Since we've never been to Philadelphia, I was hoping that someone could suggest some good neighborhoods to help us narrow our search. The most important things are a reasonable commute for my husband, good schools (we have a toddler and twins on the way), and convenience (grocery stores, drug stores, etc.). Cost is somewhat of a factor, but coming from Long Island, we're pretty well accustomed to paying more than we should in rent!

Here are our answers to the "questions for potential residents".

When are you moving? In the next month
Where are you coming from? Long Island, NY
Why are you moving? Husband's job
Where will you be working? Likely, Center City
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent?
Probably rent for a bit, would like to buy in a year or so
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Townhouse or whole house...as far from a "garden apartment" as possible! Around $2000 for a 3 bedroom would be fine (we pay more than that now, so I'm being optimistic).
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Neither! Not with 3 kids!

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married, yes, 3 kids as of this summer
Do you prefer public or private schools? Prefer public
Do you have pets? Yes, a cat
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, it would be ideal
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? More calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services and parks or playgrounds
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Doesn't really matter

Coke or Pepsi?
Pepsi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,939,167 times
Let me be the first to suggest you look in Media and Wallingford-Swathmore. Both excellent school districts in family friendly areas with a decent commute to Center City. Pretty much everything in the "burbs" is convenient to...conveniences LOL. Supermarkets, shopping, parks and playgrounds, etc. You could also look in towns along the main line but those are a bit pricier and harder to find decent rentals I think. Those might be Wayne, Bryn Mawr, Lower Merion, Villanova...just to name a few.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:03 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,530,352 times
Don't forget Central Bucks, New Hope and Council Rock school districts in Bucks County and places like Haddonfield and Cherry Hill in NJ.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,961 times
You can actually live in western Burlington county (along the Delaware) and still do public transportation to CC via the River Line, with a Patco transfer.

You could find something in Riverton, Palmyra, or Cinnaminson (08065 08077) within your budget with everything your looking for.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,784,740 times
I didn't see where on the island you are located but I think you need to decide some basic choices. With pre-school children and looking to rent you really have many options. You could actually live in center city for awhile which is sort of a Manhattan lifestyle. Might be fun. Then Philly has some neighborhoods in the northwest and northeast portions of the city that are not unlike northeast Queens..... sort of half suburb, half city. Then you come to the suburbs, of which there are thousands to choose from. Older, close in like western Nassau, both upscale and down scale, and then further out are newer areas like some parts of Suffolk, again either upscale or down scale. These may or may not be less expensive and of course the cummute is longer. Many towns are served by the regonal cummuter railroad. Can you name a particular community on Long Island that would be your 1st choice? Then I could tell you which towns here are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia