U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Yorker fed up with high prices, thinking of moving to Adams Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard, Northeast Philadelphia concrete suburb or outskirts of University City or South Philly for cheaper rent and housing prices

Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 235,471 times

Advertisements

I have heard a lot about the different neighborhoods, and I've also done some research. My main issues are that I am a single woman, so I need somewhere that is considered decent...by that I mean if I have to work late, etc. Living here for so long, I have become a bit of a night owl, so that would be number one for me....LOL. Equally important would be transportation- I do not have a car, so public transportation all the way...LOL. I have an appointment to see an apartment next week in Fishtown by the Frankford Arts corridor..any advice on that area? Also saw an ad for one on Adams Ave and Roosevelt...posting blind here, because I have no idea where this is. I love this board...you guys give such great advice, and I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer here. As far as my budget, well, that's not large at all. I'll be looking in the neighborhood of $650-$800 for a rental. Yeah, you guessed it- I'm broke. Anyway, I'm sorry about my rambling here, and am looking forward to getting out of Queens as fast as possible. I'm trying to remember what questions I didn't answer- Yes, I have been to Philly quite a few times, and I love it. As far as the apartment goes, I have no preference in it being a walk up, as long as its not on the 1st floor. I don't have kids yet- just my cat and yes she is coming with me, so I need somewhere that is cat- friendly. Yard- it doesn't matter, no car, calm and quiet is good, but not too quiet ...LOL. And last but not least, I need to be close to work, shopping, basic services, nightlife, AND all public transportation.

Last edited by BornAndBredInNYC; 03-01-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Adams Ave and Roosevelt Blvd is in Northeast Philly, aka "the concrete suburb". It can be a nice place to live but would become frustrating for a late-working night owl as public transit is not as convenient there as it is in other parts of the city.

Fishtown is a working-class neighborhood that is in the process of gentrification thanks to the upscale explosion below in Northern Liberties. I'll let others more knowledgeable than me be more specific but my thought is that a single lady might want to be a bit cautious coming home late. I'd be happy to be shown otherwise. You'd be about generallly 10-20 minutes away from all the amenities that Center City has to offer, including about a 15 minute bus/cab ride from the nearest major supermarket (Super Fresh). Then again, I know that Queens has a variety of areas so I shouldn't presume to know your comfort and experience level.

Otherwise, your preferred rental range can get you some reasonably convenient and comfortable neighborhooods but probably not one with a yard.
I know for sure that some apartments on the outskirts of University City would fit, probably some places in South Philly as well although again I'd have to defer to those with more current information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAndBredInNYC View Post
I have heard a lot about the different neighborhoods, and I've also done some research. My main issues are that I am a single woman, so I need somewhere that is considered decent...by that I mean if I have to work late, etc. Living here for so long, I have become a bit of a night owl, so that would be number one for me....LOL. Equally important would be transportation- I do not have a car, so public transportation all the way...LOL. I have an appointment to see an apartment next week in Fishtown by the Frankford Arts corridor..any advice on that area? Also saw an ad for one on Adams Ave and Roosevelt...posting blind here, because I have no idea where this is. I love this board...you guys give such great advice, and I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer here. As far as my budget, well, that's not large at all. I'll be looking in the neighborhood of $650-$800 for a rental. Yeah, you guessed it- I'm broke. Anyway, I'm sorry about my rambling here, and am looking forward to getting out of Queens as fast as possible. I'm trying to remember what questions I didn't answer- Yes, I have been to Philly quite a few times, and I love it. As far as the apartment goes, I have no preference in it being a walk up, as long as its not on the 1st floor. I don't have kids yet- just my cat and yes she is coming with me, so I need somewhere that is cat- friendly. Yard- it doesn't matter, no car, calm and quiet is good, but not too quiet ...LOL. And last but not least, I need to be close to work, shopping, basic services, nightlife, AND all public transportation.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Delaware County - places like Lansdowne and Drexel Hill come to mind bc they are right outside the city limits and have plenty of public transportation options and should be relatively inexpensive to live there - I would choose them over paying city wage tax and higher rent just to be within the city limits...and I'm not sure how late you work but taking the Regional Rail Line trains (R3) is a much more pleasant/safer experience than taking the Market-Frankford El (Blue Line) either through West Philly to Delaware County or the other way to the Northeast...just not quite as safe or safe feeling in the later hours...

Years ago my friend paid about $850 for a studio within walking distance of Center City so I think if you can make the $800 number a reality you should be able to find a decent studio in a decent neighborhood...unfortunately the criminals find their way into the decent neighborhoods as well...I would never live alone down town as a single woman, but that's just me.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM

54 posts, read 274,514 times
I live in West Philly, and really like the neighborhood. It is really safe. Especially the area betwee Walnut and Baltimore. It is pretty residential. You can get a really cheap apartment for around $750 in a nice neighborhood. You would want to live along Baltimore Ave, where you can catch the 34 trolley, or late at night catch the 21 or 42 buses. Buses run all night and a cab from Center City to West Philly runs about $10-15. I never saw a taxi fare over $15. There are plenty of things to do in University City and West Philly. Some really good Ethiopian food, good bars, and there is the Clark Park market.

Generally the closer you are to Penn, Drexel, or USP the better the neighborhood. If you go past 42nd street, you can avoid the college kids.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Sorry but University City isn't very safe, it's relatively safe; it's not North Philly or the really bad sections of West Philly, but it isn't Center City safe either. There is plenty of property crime (airbags, car radios, car batteries, etc.) and the occasional mugging and raping sprees - I would pick Center City over University City if safety and going out alone after dark is a priority.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM

117 posts, read 519,072 times
Forget Adams and the Blvd. It's going downhill fast. Lots of traffic, noise and crime. Near projects as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or