U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times

Advertisements

my wife and I are eying a good neighborhood for a early 30's couple (with toddler) to move to with good schools, nice older homes (for $250-$350k) and good schools. We recently drove through some areas of Haverford Township that seems to fit some of that bill, but I have no idea about the general demographics of the area.

Should we add Haverford/Havertown to the list of areas we look? Any first-hand opinions on the community and life in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Absolutely. Great family oriented place though a tad lilly white and not too big into diversity.

Haverford schools are good, Lower Merion schools are great. Be aware there is a right and wrong side of the tracks to Havertown...not sure which is which or what exactly it means but apparently there is.

A nice option is the Pilgrim Gardens section of Drexel Hill which is technically part of Upper Darby but Pilgrim Gardens has Haverford schools and is a very nice little neighborhood...lots of Catholics there and very nice welcoming people. It's mostly a 50's housing development but the homes are charming. Doesn't have the shopping district that Havertown does or the proximity to the Main Line that Haverford does, but it is affordable, friendly and pretty well insulated from Upper Darby which is going down the tubes as is the school district.

You should also check out Broomall/Newtown Square, Springfield and Media in that general vicinity. Wallingford also has excellent schools and some affordable housing but no business district to speak of so taxes are ridiculous...even more ridiculous than Upper Darby!

Here's a link to school district rankings statewide which I swear by but some like to throw stones at. It is based on PA skills assessment tests at various grade levels so it doesn't rank based upon SATs only or other things that, to me, are more subjective. For that kind of ranking look for Philly Magazine's rankings but I tend to take them more with a grain of salt as it seems EVERYONE around here knows what the best districts are, but their lists rarely match!

Pittsburgh Business Times School District Rankings 2008

http://www.svsd.net/important-news/important_news_attachments/pbt_state_rank_2008.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by orrmobl; 03-01-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Yeah, it really depends, because there are nicer and dumpier parts of the area.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Havertown/Haverford are definitely good options for a young family. You should have no problems finding something you like...just have to make sure the price is right! But home prices have been dipping a bit, so you may have good luck.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
does anyone know the "good" and "bad" sections of Haverford? Are there any basic rules of thumb (stay above this road, stay away from this area it's crazy taffic-y, etc)?

Also -- is crime an issue?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 AM

24 posts, read 60,843 times
You can pretty much tell the good from the bad by the price of housing, condition of the properties and such. It was a nice place to grow up in. Havertown is very different from Haverford.Havertrown is next to the Main Line (you pay for the name) and Haverford is in the Main Line. Some parts of Havertown have more traffic than others like near the shopping ctrs. and main roads. It is all what you like. I liked walking to everything so you then would need to be near traffic. Best wishes they are both great towns.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 9,005 times
Does anybody know about the Havertown PCP superfund site? I feel like it is a hush hush subject around this area.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 35,317 times
The superfund site is at the corener of Eagle and Lawrence roads (near the Swiss Farms market and accross the street from the old Gum Factory). The ground was contaminated due to improper practices from a wood treatment facility. The contamination did not affect the ground water, and the site has recently been given additional money (through the stimulus) to finish up all measures in a quicker manner. It really does not affect quality of life in any way whatsoever for anyone...

Havertown is a wonderful, family-oriented, middle class community with excellent schools. I'm not sure where the "bad areas" of Havertown are...I think if you check the police site you will find what most folks who live there know...it is one of the safest communities in the area. There are a couple of areas with older twins/duplexes that poeple who make less money tend to buy; but, I think it would be a real stretch to call those places unsafe.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 AM

19 posts, read 52,103 times
Havertown having a bad side of the tracks? you serious.. That community is so safe.. I grew up in Drexel Hill.. southen dh part close to lansdowne and clifton heights.. My oldest brother and parents just moved up that way and I stayed in DH.. Havertown is a great community

Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,677 times
Default response for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
does anyone know the "good" and "bad" sections of Haverford? Are there any basic rules of thumb (stay above this road, stay away from this area it's crazy taffic-y, etc)?

Also -- is crime an issue?

As someone who has lived in the area all my life, there are really no issues with crime in havertown. You will only find teenagers at worse doing drugs or vandalizing the area (though this isnt really common). The cops are really picky about everything and there are too many of them if thats even possible. The possibly "bad" part of havertown might be far up west chester pike along township line where it borders an area that is only slightly less nice. I wouldnt say there are any bad parts of havertown/ardmore ("haverford") or marple/broomall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia